Caribou Gear

Any Kayak Fishermen(women)???

Colberjs

I have an overwhelming urge to buy a kayak for fishing. There are several nice lakes within a few miles of my house. I can't afford a regular boat right now so I was thing a kayak would be the next best thing. Not only will I be able get to some out-of-way places but I'll get good exercise at the same time. We also have a couple good size rivers I could float and fish on. Maybe even an overnight float/fish/camping trip.

Any of you guys have any experience with this?

That looks like fun but a couple of concerns I would have are getting around stumps and rocks and also snagging it with a hook. I would think the kayak would get into tight spots a little better. And again, better exercise. Just my thoughts on it.

I have a tarpon 120 by wilderness systems. I really like it, but I have been wanting to upgrade. I really like these and if I were starting over this is what I would get. These seem very versatile for hunting or fishing.

http://www.nucanoe.com

I have the Lifetime Fishing Kayak, and love it. Real stable. Have used it for fishing, duck hunting and getting out to islands to scout and hunt whiteys. Easy to get in and out of the back of a truck by yourself. It also has a optional motor mount/battery platform. Works well with one or two people. Has a third seat, but unless that third person is a child, I wouldn't recommend it. Here is a link to some photos. Seems like I bought it online from Sams Club and shipped to my door with 2 paddles it ran about $450.

http://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/showthread.php?t=256738

I was not as fond of my kayak as I am of an open boat, but part of that is control ( I dont like being pinned down under the water level with limited range of movement). That and if I took a dog out, I didnt like a dog in my kayak with me. Open boats with two people are easier to portage, rather than one person per kayak plus gear. But then again, I could come up with numerous reasons for fishing with open boats over kayaks, which may be partially colored by my kayak bias. ;). Sold the kayak.

This is one I use for smaller lakes and fishing/float hunting in the blackwater rivers in the Eastern part of the state; too many rocks up here where I live now. It is fiberglass, 11' with a molded in fish well which my daughter is sitting on. I modified a 40lb trolling motor by cutting off the shaft and adding a bellcrank on top, then ran control cables from the bellcrank through plastic tubing to foot pedals mounted in the floor. That way I get hands free control with about 75 degree swing on the motor. I added a pigtail to the speed control knob, mounted that to a small bracket which I clip to the left gunwale which allowed me to keep the 5 forwards and three reverse speeds without paying the ridiculous prices asked for a trolling motor control by boat shops. The marine battery goes up front for perfect weight and balance, and with a full charge I can get 15mph out of the little bugger.
Since this is one of only two made and no longer available I thought maybe you could use some of the ideas I applied to mine when you find what you're looking for.

Attachments

• Picture 038.jpg
    Picture 038.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 778
Tarheel- You went all out setting that one up. That's a nice setup you have.

mtmiller- I really like the dog on the kayak. I had considered duck hunting with the one I want also. I even thought about bow fishing from it but not sure how well it would work. I guess it would be ok with an inverter and a couple lights.

If you want the best fishing kayak available take a look at the Hobie Pro Angler 14. I've used mine a bunch on lakes here in Colo and have also used it in big water in the Great Lakes. You can stand up and fish, carry lots of gear, and it is about the most stable kayak available. You use peddle-power to get around which is nice for fishing because your hands are free! The only downside is the expensive pricetag.

I have an Ascent FS10 and love it. I'm leaving right now to go to the lake as a matter of fact. I've fished in it 6 times in the last week and a half and brought home a pile of crappie. I prefer fishing out of a kayak than a boat, but that is just me. I would suggest using one first, because it's not made for everyone. Alot of people buy them only to turn around and sell it. It also takes alot of getting use to to fish out of because of the restrictions. Also, do alot of research about sit on vs sit in.

thoughts: The longer the kayak the straighter the line.... lakes. The shorter the quicker turns for small rivers like here in northeast Iowa. Anything over 10.5 feet is a bearcat to handle in small rivers. look for leg room. look for places to store stuff. How heavy if you are handling it alone. They are a blast and you'll have lots of fun.

good luck to all
the dog

If you want the best fishing kayak available take a look at the Hobie Pro Angler 14. I've used mine a bunch on lakes here in Colo and have also used it in big water in the Great Lakes. You can stand up and fish, carry lots of gear, and it is about the most stable kayak available. You use peddle-power to get around which is nice for fishing because your hands are free! The only downside is the expensive pricetag.

Price is definitely a factor for me right now. I've seen some really nice ones from ago is and others but I'm not in a position to spend a grand on one right now.

I have an Ascent FS10 and love it. I'm leaving right now to go to the lake as a matter of fact. I've fished in it 6 times in the last week and a half and brought home a pile of crappie. I prefer fishing out of a kayak than a boat, but that is just me. I would suggest using one first, because it's not made for everyone. Alot of people buy them only to turn around and sell it. It also takes alot of getting use to to fish out of because of the restrictions. Also, do alot of research about sit on vs sit in.

Is yours a sit-in or sit-on? I originally wanted a sit-in but after looking around and reading opinions I'm starting to think a sit-on would suit me better.

thoughts: The longer the kayak the straighter the line.... lakes. The shorter the quicker turns for small rivers like here in northeast Iowa. Anything over 10.5 feet is a bearcat to handle in small rivers. look for leg room. look for places to store stuff. How heavy if you are handling it alone. They are a blast and you'll have lots of fun.

good luck to all
the dog

The rivers around here are not the small winding ones it sounds like they have up there. More long and slow running. A lot of navigation channels for barges. We have a lot of strip pits left over from coal mining years ago that are some great fishing if you can get back in them. I don't think maneuverability will be a big necessity.

I don't think.....

I have a wilderness systems tarpon 120 and I have been pretty happy with it.

One thing to watch for with a kayak for fishing is how wide/stable it is. You want something that is a little more stable as you will be moving around a bit when casting/fighting a fish and you don't want it to tip over. Typically the wider the boat the more stable it is.

My buddy just bought a hobie pro angler and while that is a bit out of your price range they are very nice boats. Controlling your movement by pedaling is very nice for fishing as it keeps your hands free and you can make adjustments easier while fighting a fish. There are some downsides though in that you can't go in reverse and cant get quite a shallow.

I have an overwhelming urge to fish from one as well... This is on my "bucket list"

img_4120b-small-jpg.70772

I have an overwhelming urge to fish from one as well... This is on my "bucket list"

img_4120b-small-jpg.70772

That would be awesome!!! We're going to Corpus Christi, TX and then San Antonio this summer and in trying to talk my wife into letting me take it down there (if I have one by then) when we go.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back