Any guess on how much he weighed?

mdunc8

My family and friends back east have been asking how much the bull I shot weighed, but I have no clue. This is only my second season elk hunting, so I don't have much experience judging these critters. Does 600-700lbs sound reasonable?

Attachments

• DSC_0060.jpg
    DSC_0060.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 384
I think the rule of thumb is that cut and wrapped meat equals about 40% of live weight.

I'd say 500-550 on the hoof. Carcass weight bone in, no hide, legs or head probably 325ish, boneless meat in your freezer 180-200lbs.

Nice bull, congrats!

Congrats on the bull...Is that a black bear in the background ;)

Looks like it doesn't it? That was actually one of the few days this year I didn't run into a bear. I think that was my buddy's dog he brought out for bear bait in case something decided to show up before we were finished.

You can use the calculations in this article if you have a carcass weight on quarters...

http://ces.uwyo.edu/PUBS/B594R.pdf

Examples of some calculations:

Whole weight = 568 poundsa 1.42 x field-dressed weight
Field-dressed weight = 400 pounds
(viscera and feet removed) 0.70 x whole weight
Skinned carcass weight = 332 pounds
(skin and head removed) 0.83 x field-dressed weight
Boneless lean = 166 pounds 0.50 x field-dressed weight

Psychological weight....take the number of helpers divided by the carry distance multiplied by the terrain. Multiply that sum by .30 if horses or ATV's can be implemented.

...or what Bambi said.

Mine weighed 475 without head, hide and legs below the knee joints. I would say he had an above average body. I ended up with 280+ pounds of meat. I had to jump up and down on the freezer lid to fit it all in.:D I only have a cow tag, my boys elk and deer tag and another deer tag for me to go.:eek:

Mine weighed 475 without head, hide and legs below the knee joints. I would say he had an above average body. I ended up with 280+ pounds of meat. I had to jump up and down on the freezer lid to fit it all in.:D I only have a cow tag, my boys elk and deer tag and another deer tag for me to go.:eek:

LB, Don't you have a yard to mow or something? LOL I have a little Elk left and then that's it! John

Congrats on a great bull this season. Everyone back east always wants to know the weight. Why is that??? My in-laws are all back east and ask the same question. I would say 500-600 lbs. would be in the ball park. Also depends where you got him. A big bull was taken out of the bull mountains a few years ago and fish and game weighed it at 1300lbs. The elk in the bulls don't migrate though and feed better than most. I've heard a big yellowstone park bull is around the 800 lb. mark. Hope this helps.

Bambi i think your formula is very close. I have never heard any formula for live weight just guessed. I used that 40% wrapped meat and come out close to what i had figured. We figured that he weighed 1100 lbs+ and i come up with 1200 lbs with the formula. talk about a full freezer 480 lbs of wrapped meat. Picture of him on opening week was fun thread middle picture.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back