PEAX Equipment

Any Browning BAR owners out here?

Rev. J

So tonight I was just graciously, and unexpectedly, given a made-in-Belgium Browning BAR in 7mm. A wonderful older guy from church just blew me away with his generosity.

It’s in great condition and is topped with an older Leupold vxII 3x9. Took a couple shots with it tonight with the guy who gave it to me and it patterned pretty well. He guessed he got it in the 70s sometime.

I’ve really shot nothing but bolt rifles. My question to you all is how often do you need to clean it? (Mostly the gas system) Also, is it going to be a royal pain to clean it?? This guy usually had his gunsmith do it. Thanks for any info or tips you can give me. F1ACF0C9-20C3-45E0-93F4-B117456AB013.jpegD9AD1C41-15B3-4962-8CF0-F0626F2BF736.jpeg

I try strip mine down every year, sometimes it goes for 2 years. Of course I started doing that once I got a jam on a follow up shot 20 years ago. Found a youtube video and followed it. Not hard once you watch it, and pretty amazing at how simple the system is, and how few parts there actually are.

I have hunted with the same gun in your picture for about 15 years. Never had any real problems. Had to get it degreased and reassembled once. Also had to replace the spring with a stronger one.
They can have some issues with the bolt not closing all the way. If you get it in some brush you can also jar open the bolt just enough to not fire, so make sure the thing is closed good occasionally. Make sure you drop that bolt hard when you are cocking it. I watched a guy miss a really nice deer because he tried to drop the bolt quietly and it did not fire.

My 7 mag looks exactly like yours. Same time frame and same scope. I took a lot of animals with it and carried it as my main gun for almost 20 years. I changed to a model 70 bolt in the mid 90s so I don't carry it very often any more. As others have stated cleaning the gas piston isn't a big deal and it just depends on how often you fire it. I would think rather than say it should be once a year or any time frame it will depend on rounds fired. You might get by with 50+ rounds before you need to clean it. After a couple of failures to feed correctly I went to about once per year. I stopped using it because the bolt gun is lighter and it was easier to get good groups with non toxic ammo in the bolt gun. I think I will carry the BAR some in the near future and I have a grandson who thinks he wants it. We shall see.
Bottom line if you can get a load that it likes there is no reason to leave it at home. It does have less recoil than my lightweight bolt gun.

Last edited:
I have a first year BAR in 30/06 that was my dads rifle. Its the most amazing firearm that I own. It shoots lights out with the load I worked up for it , but also consistently with anything you throw in it. Take a 220rn , 180 core lokt , 150 federal and any other couple odd rounds you can find and it will shoot them all to withein a couple inch group. I wish I knew the old Belgians secrets. I have hunted with this one off and on for the last 20 some years with the only issue being a recoil buffer failure. The original was around 40 years old when it gave up the ghost. Amazing firearm in my book.

I had one BAR in 30.06. It was OK, not the most reliable unless you clean it a lot and don't get it wet or dirty. I used mine in dusty, windy conditions years ago hunting antelope in Wyoming. Jambed on me at the worst possible time, on a follow-up shot. I sold it and got a bolt action at my first opportunity. Too finicky for me.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back