ANY Antique fishing gear experts?

2rocky

Found my grandfather's old Fishing poles. One is a Union Hardware one piece. Looks like it may be bamboo?

All the eyes came off but I have them. Would it be worthwhile to have someone reattach them, just for display on the wall?

If the rod means something to you then yes I would get it redone and display it. I just finished 2 rods for an old friend and neither rod was worth any money. They were the first 2 rods his grandmother gave him and he wanted them rebuilt. I did it as a favor so it made sense for him.
You can do it yourself if all you are doing is rewrapping the guides. Easy to do and you can use a cardboard box with some notches cut in the ends as a support. Epoxy repair kits are available in a lot of places. Turning the rod while it dries is the biggest challenge but you can get some ideas from You Tube.

If a pro around here did it the cost would be around $100 because it takes time. You might find some one who would do it for less but prices start at $20 per guide and go up at the local shops.

Back