Any 375 RUM shooters?

Haha. Coming from a guy that espoused the virtues of 338mag being necessary for elk. :D we all come full circle sooner or later. Next Thing you know you'll be trading in that 7-08 for a real rifle chambered in 308 win.

Yeah, yeah....:)

Good god why do some of you care if the guy is going to pack a 375 rum or a 243 it's not like it's going to mess with your guys hunts

Me thinks you confuse people's high regard for their (our) own opinions with actual concern for the topic:D........

Addendum -
.... and when a genuine concern about a topic is expressed, watch the shit show break loose. Interesting conundrum.
Besides, everyone knows a 7 Mag is all you need for....... But I digress.

Addendum -
.... and when a genuine concern about a topic is expressed, watch the shit show break loose. Interesting conundrum.
Besides, everyone knows a 7-08 is all you need for....... But I digress.

Fixed it for you...

I would say why it was tough for this one to stay on track, not many people shooting a 375 RUM...

I'm sure it will work just fine on elk though.

I too prefer an exit hole. Seen many animals with little or no blood trail that had perfectly placed shots but no exit hole. If I have to blood trail an animal that nice exit hole seems to help. I don't think an exit hole means you didn't get a good energy transfer either. Means there was enough energy and then some.

I too prefer an exit hole. Seen many animals with little or no blood trail that had perfectly placed shots but no exit hole. If I have to blood trail an animal that nice exit hole seems to help. I don't think an exit hole means you didn't get a good energy transfer either. Means there was enough energy and then some.

This!!!! The energy doesn't kill, the hole does and the more energy at impact the more likely an exit will be achieved. I shot a whitetail with my 375H&H a few years back and had a wonderful blood trail in the snow. No damage to the meat as the large guns just punch holes through if you put it behind the shoulder.

FWIW, I've caught a 210gr Partition from a 338 Win in a pronghorn, but have yet to catch a 139gr Scenar out of a 260 Rem in one... :D

I'm not sure that the pass-through argument is all that good for a big cartridge. You can get pass-throughs with any rifle, it all depends on the bullet. No matter the size, you ideally want them all expending most if not all of their energy inside of the animal and just plopping out the other side going 5 fps. That should happen regardless of if it's a 7-08 or a 375 if the bullet choice is done well.

Heart shot whitetail with 375 H&H at 30 yards. I cannot confirm how fast the bullet was going after exiting, but the blood trail was amazing. I think another aspect to pass throughs is what it hits on the way in. If it gets between a rib and only hits organs, a small caliber may likely exit on an elk. If the bullet hits the shoulder, or other bone on an elk sized animal, the odds are it won't be passing through.

IMG_8913.jpg

I'm here to support hunters that like to carry rifles and shoot things with them.

I do find it odd that rifle caliber debates end up with an argument similar to the arrow velocity/momentum argument. Folks tend to argue a pass through with an arrow but not a bullet. Or maybe it's a pass through with a bullet but not an arrow. I'm always amazed how easy it is to solve a complex physics meets biology problem by choosing the proper caliber/bow/weight/moon phase.

It's too early in the week for this one.

I'm here to support hunters that like to carry rifles and shoot things with them.

I do find it odd that rifle caliber debates end up with an argument similar to the arrow velocity/momentum argument. Folks tend to argue a pass through with an arrow but not a bullet. Or maybe it's a pass through with a bullet but not an arrow. I'm always amazed how easy it is to solve a complex physics meets biology problem by choosing the proper caliber/bow/weight/moon phase.

It's too early in the week for this one.

I agree. I just really wanted a reason to share my pic :)

Heart shot whitetail with 375 H&H at 30 yards. I cannot confirm how fast the bullet was going after exiting, but the blood trail was amazing. I think another aspect to pass throughs is what it hits on the way in. If it gets between a rib and only hits organs, a small caliber may likely exit on an elk. If the bullet hits the shoulder, or other bone on an elk sized animal, the odds are it won't be passing through.

I think that really depends on the bullet construction.

I've caught a lot of .338 200 grain ballistic tips in bears, moose, elk, and even deer. I've only caught 2 250 grain partitions that I can recall from the same .338.

I've also busted one shoulder and gotten exits on elk with a .243 and 100 grain partitions.

I also busted both shoulders on a mature cow with a 7-08 at about 240 yards with a 140 grain accubond an that one exited as well.

Bullet construction seems to have more to do with whether they exit than diameter...IME.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ss8
Back