Any 358 Win shooters out there?

duckhead59

I have an assortment of high powers...my longtime fav being my 7mm rem mag. I was looking for a change up and have always enjoyed leverguns and how they handle. I wanted something a lil different, short action, non mag...w/big bullet knock down...got a BLR w/pistol grip stock in 358 win. I havent used it yet, any opinions/experiences with the 358?
Im currently reloading some test rounds...any input on recipies, bullets etc would be appreciated greatly...will be using for large whitetail this fall.

The 358 is a great cartridge. I've got a Winchester 88 in that caliber. It will handle anything in North America. I haven't reloaded for this round in quiet a while but my notes show the following

180 gr. Speer Flat SP, 54.4 gr. H335--this was close to a max load and gave over 2800 fps.

250 gr. Speer Grand Slam 44.2 gr. of AA 2015---this goes over 2400 fps.

It's easy to drive 150 gr. bullets well over 3000 fps but I don't have any "pet" loads listed at that weight.

I have a Browning lever action in 358 win. Factory loads you are restricted to the 200 gr. Win Silvertip. That is the downside, BUT, I love the 358 win. It is a great universal round. I hunt Whitetail with it and I have never had to go find one after the shot. I would imagine for a 200 yard Elk, or other large game, you would get the same result. If you load your own, You should be able put togeter an even better round... Just my 2cents.

Duck,
Nope but I do have a custom .358 Norma!! Pushes a 250 Nosler partition 2850fps and groups very nicely as long as the nut behind the stock does his part!
WD

Gun shop here in town has one on consignment. A winchester model 94xtr with the nice checkering. Dies, powder, bullets and a few boxes of brass. I think he wanted $800.00 for it. I made an offer but the guy is hard to reach. Went by and and looked in the window and it is still there but the gunsmith is never open:(. Sweet little rifle. Thanks for reminding me:D

I love my 35 whelen, i run either 250 partitions or 225 tsx's in it, both have been great.

I would recommend a 225 partition for the 358, should be able to get around 2500 fps with it.

Thanks everyone for the replies/info...I can't wait to try this thing out...I'm going to top it off with a nikon monarch 3x12.
as far as loads...I'm thinking 200 and 225 gr...going to break in barrel with 200 gr hornady spire points then try some 200 gr barnes txs...but I like the idea of the 225 partions too! you guys got any load info along those lines...like which powders do well?
Thanks again!

I use a max load of W-748 with the 225 gr Partition for over 2500 fps. It is pretty compressed, though. That is in a bolt action rifle. I have some TAC ordered, which is supposed to work very well, too. I have shot 200 and 250 gr bullets, but the 225 gr seems to work best for me. It should be good for deer through elk or moose. A 200 gr TSX would also fit the bill. I tried the 225 gr TSX, but the Partition shot better and left more room in the case for powder.

Back