ANWR Lobbying Group loses major player!

MarvB

All the details are still sketchy but the enviro's are dancing over this one:

NGI's Daily Gas Price Index
Breaking News : posted Jan 5, 2:12 PM

ConocoPhillips Drops Out of ANWR Lobbying Group

ConocoPhillips, the largest oil and natural gas producer on Alaska's North Slope, has dropped out of the chief lobbying group that has been pressing Congress to open the coastal plain of the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge (ANWR) to oil and gas drilling.

The decision by the Houston-based producer comes two years after BP plc -- the second largest operator in Alaska -- exited the lobbying group, Arctic Power, and stirs up doubts about just how committed producers are to drilling in ANWR. The remaining producers in Arctic Power are ChevronTexaco and ExxonMobil.

The exit by ConocoPhillips from the lobbying group comes at the start of the 109th Congress, with Republican lawmakers predicting that 2005 may be the year that both houses vote to open ANWR to oil and gas producers. Congress has debated the issue off and on since the early 1990s.

"While ConocoPhillips' withdrawal isn't likely to itself stop efforts to open the refuge, it gives fresh ammunition to critics of the proposal," The Wall Street Journal (WSJ) reported in its Wednesday edition.

"We hope that ConocoPhillips' decision to drop out of Arctic Power will demonstrate to members of Congress that even the oil companies aren't interested in drilling in the Arctic refuge," said Athan Manuel, director of the U.S. Public Interest Research Group's (PIRG) Arctic Wilderness Campaign.

"It appears that ConocoPhillips and BP are more enlightened than the Bush administration when it comes to drilling in the Arctic refuge. Hopefully, Congress will get the message and defeat attempts to allow drilling in the Arctic refuge this year."

ConocoPhillips said its "withdrawal was motivated, in part, by its primary focus on developing fields near established drilling areas on Alaska's North Slope and in supporting...a natural gas pipeline project from Alaska to the Lower 48 states in the U.S.," the WSJ reported.

In response to the exodus of ConocoPhillips, Green Century Capital Management of Boston, MA, which administers Green Century Funds and is wholly owned by nonprofit environmental organizations, has said it will withdraw a shareholder resolution that sought to block participation by ConocoPhillips in efforts to open ANWR to drilling.

BP dropped out of Arctic Power in November 2002 after a similar campaign by PIRG's Arctic Wilderness Campaign, the World Wildlife Fund and Green Century, according to the watchdog group PIRG. Resolutions also have been filed this year at ChevronTexaco and ExxonMobil that call on each company to report on the risks of operating in the Arctic refuge. The resolutions are scheduled to be voted on at each company's 2005 annual meeting, PIRG said

Hey Marv,

How much of all the "pressure" to drill ANWAR was a result of the "energy crisis" in Calif??? Rememember when were were all gonna run out of electricity the Tuesday after next week???

Is this one of those ideas that economics kills far better than protests and public opinion did?

Gunner, from what I was told by one of the traders, C-P was looking more at short-term investment turn arounds for their stockholders. They think that ANWR still "might" happen some day but are no longer going to spearhead it as they (the article aludes to a few of them) have other capital investment goals that will provide for quicker returns to the bottom line.

I think that BP was on the same type of timeline. I guess to answer your question, I really don't know if the roadblocks being put up on the evionmental front stopped the process (in as much as they'd like to think it did) or the fact that this type of long-term capital investment was just not palatable to the shorter term returns that C-P was seeking.

I would bet that if ANYTHING fast tracks in that area, that C-P will jump right back into the frey if they can turn a $$ in a suitable timeline to their Board.

Heck, we all know down here that the "energy crisis" was caused by a bunch of unethical Texans and the shortage of water in the Northwest...if you guys would bathe a little less we could all keep our lights on ;) We'll just have to see how Domenici moves forward in Congress....

Just the thought of the project should be enough to scare most publicly traded companies away. Huge investment, PR nightmare, small reserves, potential long time to get a return of capital, and if anything bad should happen, you would forever have the "Exxon Valdez" tied to your name.

There are much better places to drill. I always kind of wondered if this was just a show of muscle by Dubya to force this project through.....

Conoco, as a company, didn't get as big as they are by being stupid (of course Enron wasn't "tiny" either before it blew out) but I think they will continue to bide their time and pick their battles. IMO they just want someone else to pay to front the forray into AK as they have spent big money this past year on maintenace in Alaska and their North Sea operations plus they bought about 10% of Lukoil which is a HUGE Russian Oil Co.

I don't think by any means that ANWR is a dead topic but it will slow down considerably without Conoco and BP in the mix.

More down in this neck of the woods of intrest to me is Rendezvous Gas wanting to build a 20+" pipeline that would connect facilities in Uinta County, WY, to those in Lincoln County, WY. Thats a pretty good sized undertaking and they are seeking fast-track approval. The outfit I work for has rights to the Kern System and is waiting to see how this one play out.

Anyone want to make odds on whether or not Kenny Boy will get a cell mate named Bubba? I say no, he can afford a fleet of lawyers to get him off. Should be a year round no limit season on lawyers that would want to defend this guy.

Paul, worst thing is (to me anyway) is that a know/broke bread with/became friends with many of the small fish in this pond....the worker bees like myself, if you will. These are the guys that have had their lives ruined by this whole thing while the big balls and masterminds go unscathed for the most part.

Hell most of their traders were snot nosed college kids just trying to make a living and pay back student loans. Did they make good money (trading) when the industry was volitale? No dobut- EVERYONE did. But did they purposely go out and look for ways to screw the world and the Utility Industry as a whole? I SERIOUSLY doubt it, most were (and I'm not casting stones here) not bright enough to pull off that kinda coup but are now suffering for it regardless.

As for that Upper echelon at the crooked "E"...you couldn't hang em' high enough for me :MAD

Paul- Wouldn't hurt my feelings none if Ken Lay got to learn the meaning of "soap-on-a-rope" hump

Sad thing is it will cost the taxpayers another kazillion dollars to convict the scumbag :MAD

ElkGunner said:
Just the thought of the project should be enough to scare most publicly traded companies away. Huge investment, PR nightmare, small reserves, potential long time to get a return of capital, and if anything bad should happen, you would forever have the "Exxon Valdez" tied to your name.

There are much better places to drill. I always kind of wondered if this was just a show of muscle by Dubya to force this project through.....

Personally, I think they have their eye on the NPRA...... ;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back