Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Antler Drop Question

I was wondering if anyone knows if this is true. I was told that whitetails drop their antlers about now followed by Mule deer and then elk. I just have a hard time believing that an elk, who has to grow substantially more antler mass than a whiteail, would drop his antlers the latest. Thanks for any help.

That's the truth. It seems that bulls start dropping their antlers in mid-march through mid-april. Deer should be dropping them right now. It's pretty amazing how fast big bull elk grow their antlers in just a few months.

also depends on the region. back home in mississippi, whitetails dont really drop till march

Last of March first week of April for the small bulls. I've seen muleys with antlers @ beginning of March.

The earliest whitetail shed I found was the day after Christmas, muley was about a month later, and elk March 15ish. Big bulls tend to drop first.

Just make sure to give the critters space on the winter range if you go.

Here is my $.02.
None of the species really start building new antler until well into spring green-up. Antlers evolved for reproduction, so after the rut their value to the animal decreases. What are the positives and negatives associated with packing antlers after the rut?
Negatives: 1. Antlers are heavy, so they can add strain and increase vulnerability to predators.
2. Antlers can increase visibility of an animal which can increase vulnerability to predators.
3. Shedding exposes sensitive tissue to the elements.
Positives: 1. Antlers can help an animal compete for a limited resource (food, water).
2. Antlers may be used to defend against predators. This would be more effective against wolves that are going to chase their prey because that offers an opportunity to mount a defense, but it would be ineffective against cougars that are going to sneak in on prey.

Look at the possible benefits and drawbacks and see if that explains the different timing. Negatives: Elk may have a little more disadvantage due to heavier antlers, but not much when you consider body proportions. Elk live in much larger herds, so an individual's visibility isn't as important. Elk have much larger diameter bases and that makes them very prone to getting frost bite if they shed in February. Even the largest moose shed I have found has small bases compared to average elk.
Positives: Living in a herd increases the competition for food, so it would be more beneficial to elk to hold on to them. Antlers are little help for a deer getting attacked by a cougar, but they are a big help for a bull fighting off a pack of wolves.

I know those are massive generalizations and cougars eat elk and wolves eat deer, but over the long run generalizations are what drive evolution.
I may also just be scratching the surface on my explanation, so I look forward to other ideas of possible advantages/disadvantages to holding antlers after the rut.

Why do bigger bulls/bucks shed first?

Why do I see young bull elk still holding their antlers in May/June? What about deer in May?

Just measured 2 moose and two elk racks I have handy. The pedicals on the moose are 8-8.5" in dia right at the base of the antler and the elk are 6.75-7"... These are all mature animals. Not sure you're theory on frost bite holds much credibility. I'd say elk and moose are similar in diameter of equal age.

All most all moose shed in in the dead of winter. I would imagine that the thousands of moose that live in interior Alaska where its routinely 20-40 below zero when they shed, should all have frost bite?

I watched a perfectly healthy elk get eaten alive by a single wolf one spring morning. He could have defended himself with his antlers but didn't even try. He ran for his life and lost. I don't think antlered animals really use their headgear for defense.

I don't think antlered animals really use their headgear for defense.

I've often wondered if the larger antlered ones will, but I know for a fact that a whitetail will use his antlers first for defense or aggressive behavior. They'll also go up on their hindquarters and attack with their front hooves like a girl in a cat fight.

I'd like to know what area WYO is speaking of when he says there are places where elk don't lose their antlers. Also, the frostbite theory is a stretch to say the least when the pedicel is uncovered for a very short time when the antler drops and heals over quickly until another antler starts developing. In a bull elk it can be just a matter of days between the drop and new growth starting.

All Contents © Copyright 2005
Dr. David Samuel

Hope that declaration covers my butt.

We know that testosterone and mating are related, so high numbers of does could lead to late shedding of antlers. Here is how that works. Testosterone in bucks stays high when they chase estrus does. Does will only come into estrus if they have not mated, so when you have large numbers of does, all do not get bred in November. When that occurs, we’ll have hot does popping up in mid December, and rutting bucks will be chasing. The more does not bred, the later antlers drop and once most does are mated, the buck’s testosterone levels drop and so does his antlers

Other researchers have found that big and/or older bucks often shed earlier, and suggest that this is due to the fact that their high social rank during the rut takes a physical toll on their body. Chasing does, not eating, fighting other bucks, all reduces their body condition, and thus when the rut ends, if they are really run down, their testosterone levels drop faster than normal, and this leads to casting of antlers. One New York study showed that 62 percent of bucks 3½-years old and older dropped their antlers by mid December, while only 23 percent of younger bucks did.

Just some stuff that I found while googling.

good luck to all
the dog

I'd like to know what area WYO is speaking of when he says there are places where elk don't lose their antlers. Also, the frostbite theory is a stretch to say the least when the pedicel is uncovered for a very short time when the antler drops and heals over quickly until another antler starts developing. In a bull elk it can be just a matter of days between the drop and new growth starting.

Wyo is short for Wyoming. 79% of elk do not shed their antlers. Fact.

Is this one of those riddles?

Like if a rooster sits on a barn roof facing north and lays an egg which way will it roll?

Is the answer 79% of the elk don't shed their antlers because 79% of the elk are cows and calves?

Is this one of those riddles?

Like if a rooster sits on a barn roof facing north and lays an egg which way will it roll?

Is the answer 79% of the elk don't shed their antlers because 79% of the elk are cows and calves?

You're giving me way too much credit. Im just a guy with a job that gives him too much free time.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back