Antler art work

katqanna

I started working with gourds just shortly after I moved here to Montana. I had done basketry for decades and liked melding the two. I have also incorporated antlers into a number of other mediums I work with. For the Public Trust Dinner I wanted to get a few gourd pieces done to contribute. Thought I would share the photos of the pieces. It is unfortunate that the gourds reflect light when photographing, you cant get an accurate color or the full effect of the patina, both are darker than the photos. I have done pyrography on many gourds, but pressed for time did not include that element on these pieces.

antler%20gourd%20vase.png

The gourd bowl is about 14.5 inches in diameter.
antler%20gourd%20bowl.png

Thank you. Even though the gourd shell is already shaped, you have to heavily scrub it because of the natural mold film. I always sand out the insides with a sanding ball welded to a rod that works in my DeWalt drill. Gourds have a toxin in them so I have to wear a mask and goggles, though sometimes I just wear my reading glasses and deal with it. I prefer the leather stains for the color, they have a great patina to them.

This is a lamp I made for my desk. I took a section of cedar post, sanded it down, stained and varathaned, added that lamp kit post down the center (pic 1). Then I made the gourd top, stained it like the bottom of the other one next to it. It wasnt stained yet in the progress shot (pic 2). My Dad was a wood and metal scultor, but had a harder time in the last years of his life. On a visit when I was working on this lamp, Dad couldnt help himself and starting dinking with one - got the bug and loved working with the lighter weight gourds the last years.

Picture 1
IBeOL7H.jpg

Picture 2
Jg5R4Xr.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Ken and Dink.

Elkantlers, the hard shell gourds require a warmer climate for a longer growing season than we have here in Montana (needs a greenhouse), though today is pretty warm (88, hell, we are warmer than San Antonio right now - 80 degrees). I grew some hardshell gourds in Texas before I started working with them, just used them for bird feeders. After I moved I saw some artwork that I loved, not just birdhouses with flags of Texas and bluebonnets painted on them ( I swear I never did that. Nor do I crochet barbie dresses that go over toilet paper rolls). :)

I order them from Welburn Gourd Farm in CA, where they are grown organically. I save all the different varieties seeds so I can grow them once I get a greenhouse set up though.

The Fiebings leather dyes are from that leather company in Billings but you can easily order it online.

You are very creative Kat:) I would rank them Lamp, picture 1, and then picture 2. I'm not a professional art judge, but I did win the art contest in first grade. It's been down hill from there:)

Thank y'all. When I was first learning how to work with the gourds, me loving paleo tools and all, I decided I would make one only with lithic tool and wood burning with the sticks instead of the electric wood burner and power drill - just to experience it like the ancient cultures that I have researched in my work. While it was a good experience, half way sanding the inside of the gourd with the rough rounded stone I was b*tching to myself why I thought this was a good idea to begin with, but I stuck it out and was glad that I did. Making things by hand always reinforces to me the value of an item, kind of like hunting.

For any of you that might be interested in working with gourds, there are 3 books that I got in the beginning that helped with basics, examples of work from museums and around the world. The Complete Book of Gourd Craft, Gourd Pyrography, Making Gourd Musical Instruments.

And if anyone would like seeds, I have plenty and would be glad to share. PM me with an address and I will send some off. When you grow them and have them green, you can even carve into the green shell then it dries. You cant carve into a dried gourd for designs, but you can cut through and make designs with the empty space. A google image search of gourd art or gourd pyrography provides lots of ideas.

Back