Caribou Gear

Anti Hunter Businesses

fmnjr

Not sure if this the right place for this but here goes: I’m done with any business that caves to anti gun or anti hunter pressures. Walmart, REI, North Face, etc, etc. I’ll find other ways to source what I need - over and out.

just curious why do u boycott those?

It's old school hunter chic to be dismissive of brands like those because all the FNG's use them. Doesn't matter if they make useful gear, it's considered overpriced, new wave, and indicative of the demise of western hunting as it has been known. Old school guys find them cliche...which is awesome if you are a fan of irony.

Obviously it's understood others will have their own mind on this but having some discussion about it sure doesn't hurt. I'm pretty much fed up and don't mind saying so. Never gave it much thought before but these people are actively working to thwart and strangle the ability of hunters and shooting enthusiasts to enjoy a sport of their choosing. Another form of mind control if you ask me and I don't understand, but at the same time respect, others who don't feel the same.

Obviously it's understood others will have their own mind on this but having some discussion about it sure doesn't hurt. I'm pretty much fed up and don't mind saying so. Never gave it much thought before but these people are actively working to thwart and strangle the ability of hunters and shooting enthusiasts to enjoy a sport of their choosing. Another form of mind control if you ask me and I don't understand, but at the same time respect, others who don't feel the same.

I get that you feel this way, but tilting on this windmill could get exhausting. Keeping up with the political positions of every brand or retailer, what they support, who or what they have donated to, which you agree with or disagree with, I mean where do you draw lines. I know people who are hard core anti-The North Face because apparently they do, or have supported PETA, yet The North Face is owned by VF Corp, who also owns Timberline, Smartwool, Jansport, Dickies, Reef, and a lot of other outdoor brands, not to mention until a recent spin-off Wranger Jeans. So if you can't support The North Face, does that mean you can't wear Timberline boots over Smartwool socks covered by your Dickies work wear?

Many companies keep both sides of their toast buttered by giving to both political parties, and/or to both sides of particular causes, and it's literally impossible to keep up with it all, you might eschew a certain business because you perceive them to be against your core values in favor of another business who is in fact more against your core values, yet is better at PR.

I completely support the idea of supporting business that support the things I believe in, and when given an obvious choice, I will choose them over a business that is antithetical to my beliefs every time, but I'm not fooling myself that I can somehow not support those who don't believe as I do, nor that withholding my business is going to make a difference to any of them.

Having said all that, everyone should do what makes them feel the best...

to thwart and strangle the ability of hunters and shooting enthusiasts to enjoy a sport of their choosing.

Might be over stating it a bit. To my knowledge Patagonia, REI, Northface etc. have never taken an anti hunting stance. Patagonia doesn't support delisting G-bears, REI and Northface don't want to be associated with companies who make ARs.

There are a lot of sportsmen who support publicly criticize AR's... Jim Zumbo... and there is a wide range of opinions in our community about ethical means and practices of hunting. On this forum and in the greater hunting community, hunters hold a wide array of opinions on baiting, hunting with dogs, predator hunting, hunting tournaments, spear hunting, etc. etc.

I'm sorry the slipper slope argument just isn't a thing. There is not a single example of the argument being carried out to the ultimate extreme, with regard to firearms or hunting, on this planet. I do miss CO spring bear, I do miss trapping, but I'm not worried about ever losing elk season.

What you choose to purchase is fully up to you and there are lots of great hunting and shooting companies to support.

I find it interesting that this issue is what tipped you over the edge on Walmart! Sounds like you were fine with their business strategy of crippling locally owned and operated small businesses by selling largely foreign made, low quality, ultra low priced junk. You appear to be good with their model of pushing american manufacturing jobs overseas. You don't sound like you were concerned with their practice of pushing out well paying, local small business owners and replacing those jobs with low wage, low skilled jobs.

But they decide to stop selling shitty AR's and handgun ammo therefore forcing you to possibly shop a locally owned gun shop and that is what sets you off? Either way, i'm glad you finally saw the light, regardless of what illuminated it for you.

Not sure if this the right place for this but here goes: I’m done with any business that caves to anti gun or anti hunter pressures. Walmart, REI, North Face, etc, etc. I’ll find other ways to source what I need - over and out.

I'm a believer in boycotts, and I think it's a solid way to express your political desires by not funding organizations or entities that side with things that are antithetical to your beliefs.

I've not shopped at Walmart for 20 years, mostly because of the reasons that mulecreek lined out. I didn't use Barnes bullets for ages because of their support for anti=public land sporting groups like SFW & Big Game Forever. Same with Cabelas after they tried to get into the hunting real estate market in MT by promoting exclusionary access.

I also boycott all cable news, Papa Johns Pizza (they treat workers like crap, and they're anti-union) and I'm working on boycotting Amazon for their predatory tax agenda & their anti-worker mentality (But let's face it, that's tough, especially in a downmarket area like Helena). GM just made the boycott list as well, due to their elimination of worker health benefits.

I may not agree with your politics, but I encourage everyone to use their dollars to voice their beliefs.

I like it when my boycotts line up conveniently with businesses I don't use anyway. But I'll give them a pass if it's something I really really need or want. 😉

That Walmart example is a good reason why we should be concerned about the oligarchic policies the fed gov has had for the last few decades. If a large company decides to punish hunters/shooters/christians/gays/etc. you are left with way fewer options than if you have a bunch of smaller retailers and businesses.

I think boycotts are one of the few ways we as citizens can make a difference to a large company. If you aren't a share holder, the only other thing you can do to a company is to refuse to give them your money. Now does it really make a large difference? If you spend $500 at walmart a year, they won't notice the difference, but that is a symbolic victory.

I myself refuse to buy any salmon that isn't Alaskan wild caught. Does my purchase make a difference to the fishermen of Alaska? Probably not, but it makes me feel better that I am supporting them and not supporting some Russian over fishing their fishery.

More often then not its a symbolic victory with boycotts, and that is still a victory in my mind!

I don't mind others poking holes in what I'm saying, be the first to admit I'm not completely logical all the time.

However, in this case, I can illustrate pretty easily with a couple of bullet points what I mean with I say something like "thwart and strangle".

1) When I was ten we took out my Stepdad's mauser to shoot some jacks on the cliffs below the Palos Verde hills south of Redondo Beach in CA (my first shooting experience). We got told by the cop waiting for us when we got back to the car to follow him around the corner where he gave us the gun back and said "you really shouldn't do this around here so go on home".

2) Got my first weapon given to me, a colt semi-auto 22, when I was twelve and was allowed to use it unsupervised whenever I wanted to.

3) Skipped school on a regular basis to shoot bricks of 22s with my buds without having to explain in detail what I was doing.

4) Experimented with black powder and cartridges to see the effects (no, nobody got hurt).

5) Played with firecrackers/M80s at every opportunity.

Etc, etc, etc.

Now, I ask you all, if anyone got wind of this occurring nowadays, what do you think would be the result? All those who would be in an uproar over the above are of the same ilk that want to restrict what others do.

I don't mind others poking holes in what I'm saying, be the first to admit I'm not completely logical all the time.

However, in this case, I can illustrate pretty easily with a couple of bullet points what I mean with I say something like "thwart and strangle".

1) When I was ten we took out my Stepdad's mauser to shoot some jacks on the cliffs below the Palos Verde hills south of Redondo Beach in CA (my first shooting experience). We got told by the cop waiting for us when we got back to the car to follow him around the corner where he gave us the gun back and said "you really shouldn't do this around here so go on home".

2) Got my first weapon given to me, a colt semi-auto 22, when I was twelve and was allowed to use it unsupervised whenever I wanted to.

3) Skipped school on a regular basis to shoot bricks of 22s with my buds without having to explain in detail what I was doing.

4) Experimented with black powder and cartridges to see the effects (no, nobody got hurt).

Etc, etc, etc.

Now, I ask you all, if anyone got wind of this occurring nowadays, what do you think would be the result? All those who would be in an uproar over the above are of the same ilk that want to restrict what others do.

When my parents were growing up the played on a mattress in the back of my grandparents station wagon, now it's standard protocol for hospitals to check your vehicle for a car seat and you can't leave with a newborn without one.

We don't have lead in gasoline or paint.

Most kids ride bikes with a helmet

The age to get a driver's license has gone up it's 17 in Jersey

Things change, I think a lot of these were bipartisan efforts BTW.

A quote from Ben Lamb found in the "Thoughts on the Anti Hunter Movement" thread:

"A bigger threat to hunting is hunters".

Applicable here.

It is folly at best to think that ethical public land DIY hunters as a whole have enough economic clout for a boycott to change the direction of a multinational corporation. However there are true influencers who can mention "boycott" and it has a great deal more weight than rank and file individuals actually boycotting could do. The other problem is there is always someone else who will pay a little more for a product despite whatever is objectionable. Case in point: Deer and elk tags in Western States. Good luck getting hunters to unify and boycott tags and licenses from one state. That is the one area hunters really have some economic clout in but I doubt anyone would go along en masse and actually create a funding shortage....

Etc, etc, etc.

This makes me think of the utah free range parenting law...OUTRAGEOUS!!! LOL. I love how everyone in the world cares about what others do or dont do. If your not breaking the law I'll just stay out of your shiz. For example if walmart wants to be the way they are good for them. I dont have a say in the business and I didnt build it so it's not my job to police it. People should take care of the things on their home range and not worry about john doe down the street who hasn't mowed his yard in 6 months.

Boycotts are dumb and not for me, I just choose the best I can to support the mom and pop when possible. Because their the veins of the economy not because walmart is duechy.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back