Caribou Gear

Antelope Hunting Hunt Area 8

12pointbuck

I pulled my third choice (Hunt Area 8) in Wyoming for the Oct 1 rifle season. Can any one advise me on a good area within Unit 8? Good BLM lands or landowners I could contact? I have the walk in hunt area maps. I am traveling From WV.

lol Cush, I keep forgetting you're on the welcoming committee here at Hunt Talk.......

WV huh? Rings a bell

Check the resources tab on this website and click on Wyoming. You'll find pretty much everything you need to get started. Good luck

I can't believe how many people are getting on websites and saying they got a tag for such and such a unit and are now asking is there any public land, can anyone tell them how to get the name of a ranch that will let them hunt, etc.!!! Most of the time it also seems like it's a newbie with just one or two posts on a site and many times they say they don't want to know your honeyhole, but just a good idea as where to start looking, LOL! It gets to the point where it's not surprising to read a response like John gave. Anyway, for the OP from WV, the unit you have a tag for is marked right on the G&F website as having difficult public access. I checked it out on my CD ROM and there is very little BLM, State, or National Grasslands in that unit that has a public road for legal access to any of it. You should pray that the WIHA map you say you have has places on it that renew their contract with the G&F because the website is down right now for updating to the 2012 list of active participants. Even if they are huntable it could be a zoo on them come opening day. Call the local G&F Office out there to see if they have a current list of ranches that allow hunting for an access fee, but it's getting rather late now when many book up almost a season a head of time. Unit 8 is one area up to the northeast that had an above average winter kill the winter before last, but not as bad as further to the nw of there a little ways. Surprisingly, the unit went up from 350 Type 1 tags in 2011 to 450 for the 2012 hunt, so it sounds like there is still a good crop of animals there if you can find a legal place to hunt them. In fact, in looking at the leftover list on the G&F website, there are still 161 tags Type 1 tags that will go on sale on 7/10 because of poor access to public lands. Good luck!

Last edited:
Email me if you'd like the name of an awesome rancher up there. They have plenty of land and were gonna start taking a few antelope hunters after the outfitter sold out 4 years ago. I believe they're 1600 for a 3 day hunt all inclusive with home cooked meals and nights at the ranch house. Will be him and his 2 boys running it this year. My buddy had the lease and they were killing about 15 a year. They haven't killed 5 in the last 4 years. Real possibility for a high 70 type goat if you
can judge em. [email protected]. thx - Cade. www.huntforeverwest.com

Shoulda thought about all of that before you put in for a tag...good luck

LOL. Welcome to Hunt Talk! I just posted on an elk thread, similar to this one.

Everytime I get on here, I always end up laughing. Some funny posts on here...to go along with all of the informational ones.

On Your Own Adventures has now become Whore Out Your Outfitter Buddies....? When does this new show air?

LOL! I'm surprised you haven't replied on the " Idaho mule deer units 43" thread! Only a matter of time I'm guessing!

i don't....it may be irratating but no need to be rude to someone with just a couple posts..but from the looks of it he has been a member since 2009...just because he does not inflate his #s by insulting other members dont hold it against him

Love Cushman's direct nature :)

good luck to all
the dog

Last edited:
12 point buck. Get the huntinggpsmaps chip if you even want to think about hunting public land in eastern wyoming. It's a valuable tool, since there are no public property markers anywhere! Also, get a public roads map. Many roads are private and it's difficult to decipher what you can and can't drive on without the right map. Unit 8 has very little public (that can be legally accessed), so even with that you will likely want to focus on WIA or get a rancher lined up. The ranchers seem to be more open later in the season.

Is there such a thing as a "public roads map"?

Get a county map and it should show you all the public roads that are maintained by taxpayers money and any public land that they go through or touch should be legally accessible. However, I can't stress enough to do what has already been mentioned. Have a GPS with the land ownership chip in it so you will be able to stay on the public land while out hunting because very few boundary lines are marked and fences don't mean squat out there. Do otherwise and you are just guessing and very susceptable to a trespass ticket.

Last edited:
the best public roads maps I have found are from the country tax assessors. Many of the county's have the public roads maps available if you look around on the tax assesors area of the county's web page. I was given this advie last year by both a BLM biologist and a game warden.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back