antelope hunt

I also love the heart-shaped horns, but you need a good side view on antelope to see the mass, how high it goes and how high above the ears the cutters are. The four mass measurements on each horn are where they get most of their score.

Last edited:
Yep, look for mass. I have one that has barely 14 inches in length, but just misses the 80 inch mark. Heavy mass helps him out. mtmuley

Don't worry about a trophy for your first hunt. Go have a good time and learn about the animal. When you kill one, make sure that you butcher it and put it straight into a cooler. Do not ride it around in the truck all day. That is the biggest mistake people make with antelope. Get them taken care of and you will have some excellent eating. Do not take it to a commercial processor, as you may end up with someone else's mess.

The .243 is a great rifle for your hunt. Use 85+ grain bullets (I prefer the heavier 100 grain Hornady Interlocks in my 6mm) and shoot for the lungs. They are not hard animals to kill and their lungs are big.

As an easterner, we are used to dragging deer. Don't drag a lope! The hair comes out very easily so if you want to get one mounted, cape it were it falls.

As said here al ready Wyoming is a good choice for lopes. Last year I took my frist in wyoming. Great time and yes the hair comes off fast. I got to the truck and half the backside was bald. They are vary yummy too.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisb970
Back