Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

antelope hunt

skimerhorn

Been considering a antelope hunt, but have never been out west hunting. Is this a good first choice of animal? Also which state should I be considering, or should o just focus on Wyoming?

Good first choice for a western hunt.

Stick to Wyoming and you will do well.

Good luck.

Wyoming is easiest western state to draw a pronghorn tag as a non-resident. Review prior year drawing odds to find tags in units that were 100% odds to draw. You may find these units are mostly private land and you may end up paying a few $100 to access land to fill the tag. If you want more meet, you can usually pick up a doe tag prior to the hunt.

New Mexico has terrible odds in the draw but if you draww a tag then you are assigned to a ranch. You do not have the option to doe tags. If you do not draw a tag in the draw then you can seek out a tag to buy from a landowner. Prices vary but $1500 and up is what I recall a few years ago.

Wyoming reminds me of the prairie version of the Old West. New Mexico reminds me of the arid high desert version of the Old West. Plenty of cacti and rattlesnakes in both states!

Good luck and have a great experience.

I've done a little research and from what I could tell you guys backed that up about Wyoming being the best state for antelope. What caliber rifle would you suggest? I've never shot much over 100 yds with my muzzleloader, just because here in va you don't need to and where I am there is no rifle hunting. From what I've seen typical shots are from 1-300 yds, is that about right? Would a 243 get the job done or should I just step it up a notch to be sure?

I've done a little research and from what I could tell you guys backed that up about Wyoming being the best state for antelope. What caliber rifle would you suggest? I've never shot much over 100 yds with my muzzleloader, just because here in va you don't need to and where I am there is no rifle hunting. From what I've seen typical shots are from 1-300 yds, is that about right? Would a 243 get the job done or should I just step it up a notch to be sure?

A .243 would be an excellent choice for an antelope hunt. You can definitely get a shot closer than 300 yes but 100-300 is a good range. Wyoming is the best state by far for beginner's and success rates. I would start by finding where a good amount of public land is at and then choosing 3 units to look at odds at online. Wyoming G&F does a good job of explaining last year's results. Last year we applied for a hard to draw unit in order to build a preference point and then had easier to draw units as our 2nd/3rd choice. You will get addicted so watch out. Last year was our first year and we had a blast. Watch our video to see what we did. No monsters but tagged out in a day all on public WY land.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MopBEQnWkE

I can relate Skimer. My longest shot back home (Virginia) was just under 90 yards before moving out here. A 30-30 was the only rifle I used hunting the mountains back home. I think most would agree that 200 yards is good range to be comfortable with while antelope hunting. If you can shoot further great. If not, I wouldn't worry about it too much. For what's it worth, which isn't much, I like shooting a .270. However, a .243 would do just fine.

Muzzleloader

Don't mean to hi-jack the thread, but what are you guys thoughts on shooting a muzzleloader instead of a rifle? First of all, is that legal? and secondly, I know the bullet is plenty big enough , but would 50-200 yard shots be reasonable for spot and stalk? I assume it will depend on terrain.

A .243 is a superb antelope round. You may want to outfit your rifle with a bipod, and then practice out to 400 yards with it. Honestly, most of the antelope I've shot were 100-150 yards away.

Antelope hunting is SOOO much fun, you'll have a ball. Wyoming is a great state.

Don't mean to hi-jack the thread, but what are you guys thoughts on shooting a muzzleloader instead of a rifle? First of all, is that legal? and secondly, I know the bullet is plenty big enough , but would 50-200 yard shots be reasonable for spot and stalk? I assume it will depend on terrain.

100-150 yards is entirely reasonable, unless you choose a unit like the Rock River area that is FLAT and nothing but 3" grass and some cactus.

100-150 yards is entirely reasonable, unless you choose a unit like the Rock River area that is FLAT and nothing but 3" grass and some cactus.

Wyoming is the place for sure. We killed a few last year using .270 Howa, .243 Howa, and Savage .308. I think the laws changed a little this year and you can now use a centerfire .22 caliber as long as it has a 60 gr bullet or bigger. I may be taking the Savage tactical .223 this year. Two of our goats were taken at less than 200yds and one was at 400 yds with the .243 by my 64 yr old father (ex Marine) just to prove to us who the better rifleman still is! lol. JLS is correct though, not alot of cover around Rock River. (find water)

I hunted WY for antelope last year for the first time, my buddy tagged out with a good buck in an hour and a half and I scored before noon the second day on a nice buck. These were kind of crappy leftover tags too. I'll be going back that's for sure.

IMHO the .243 is a great antelope caliber. That's what I use and if it really gets windy I step it up to my 25-06. I handload and use 100 grain and 117 grain Hornady BTSPs in those two calibers.

In trying to maximize mu chances would I be better off trying to find a water hole or fence line to set up a blind or try to put on a stalk

Leave the blind at home unless you're bowhunting early season. Spot and stalk. From what I saw from most of the natives it's more like spot and drive. I did best finding an area to walk in to with no nearby roads. The antelope get pushed around a lot you can be in a basin with nothing in sight and they can literally come pouring in within seconds.

Thanks for helping me with all these questions, just tryin to do some homework on it. What makes for a good antelope? To me all horns look similar. Is it height you want, a good spread, or mass? I'm sure all would be good in a perfect world, for example would you let a buck with tall horns walk for one shorter with bigger horns? I know these are probably dumb questions, I'm just not sure how to judge them.

Thanks for helping me with all these questions, just tryin to do some homework on it. What makes for a good antelope? To me all horns look similar. Is it height you want, a good spread, or mass? I'm sure all would be good in a perfect world, for example would you let a buck with tall horns walk for one shorter with bigger horns? I know these are probably dumb questions, I'm just not sure how to judge them.

As far as judging them for a first timer if you like it shoot it! You'll probably see a few and get an idea of what's around. That will help set your standards. Ears are 6ish inches long so you can judge height from that. I know where I was hunting in WY last year a 13-14 incher with good mass and prongs is about as good as you could expect. This was not a prime unit though and WY has some hogs running around.

"mtlion" is right, the ears can be used for a quick judge process, if the prongs come off at the top of the ears or above he's a good one ! If the horns are taller than twice the ear height he's a good one ! If mass is as wide or wider than an ear he's a good one ! If he has all of the above, SHOOT !! Good Luck and show us some pics when you get em!! :D

It is really hard to have a bad antelope hunt in Wyoming. You will have a good time and see lots of game, plus the scenery is good too. Get a tag and enjoy your hunt...

Spread of horns is not measured for book purposes. I like ivory tips on the horn tips with a heart shaped profile when viewing the horns from in front.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fallguy
Back