Antelope Advice for Beginners (WY Unit 21)

Well written. It's just how I'm wired so I stress regardless. Thank you once again. I've got lots of time but I'll keep you updated.
Yes, do that. I think that you'll be surprised at how fun Pronghorn hunting is. Stop by Cheyenne on your way in if you want- I'll treat you to dinner, and we can swap hunting and fishing stories.

Pronghorn hunting is FUN, but in a popular area, or rather easy to draw, I would suggest avoiding week 1 and go as late as you can. Those easy to draw units are a nightmare opening day
I've always had a blast on my Wy antelope hunts and I've always taken the time to be successful. I would caution waiting too long in the season may get you into worse weather (never predictable) and can be a problem. Like has been mentioned...just make it fun!

Your happiness will be defined by your starting expectations.

If success is going to a new place, learning about a new prey, being away from the daily l grind and possibly but certainly not guaranteed getting to take home an animal you will certainly have a blast - regardless of outcome.

If your expectation is a guaranteed punched ticket and are thinking about what others may think if you fall short then you will have a stressful trip that will either end in frustration or an anti-climatic kill that you expected as a minimum outcome.

Too much of FOM, expectations of guaranteed “success” and antler envy are what sets far too many hunters up for disappointment. Be a nature lover who carry’s a rifle more than an “apex predator with a social media account at the ready” and you will find much more joy in your hunting.
This is good advice and absolutely true. I’m not a social media guy but I myself have slipped into high expectations/non rewarding hunting a few times. I have to remind myself why I hunt. It shouldn’t be about shooting the trophy every hunt.

Thanks for posting this, Whitetail hunter from Kentucky here and am trying to get drawn my first hunt this year in Wyoming. If only I had learned about the point game earlier in life but I didn't. Thanks again I really enjoyed reading this thread and it gives me a good representation on what to look forward to.

Thanks for posting this, Whitetail hunter from Kentucky here and am trying to get drawn my first hunt this year in Wyoming. If only I had learned about the point game earlier in life but I didn't. Thanks again I really enjoyed reading this thread and it gives me a good representation on what to look forward to.
Hey, no problem. If you don't mind my asking, how many Antelope points do you currently have?

Thanks for posting this, Whitetail hunter from Kentucky here and am trying to get drawn my first hunt this year in Wyoming. If only I had learned about the point game earlier in life but I didn't. Thanks again I really enjoyed reading this thread and it gives me a good representation on what to look forward to
Hey, no problem. If you don't mind my asking, how many Antelope points do you currently have?
Just 1 I purchased 1 for pronghorn, deer and elk last year.

Thanks for posting this, Whitetail hunter from Kentucky here and am trying to get drawn my first hunt this year in Wyoming. If only I had learned about the point game earlier in life but I didn't. Thanks again I really enjoyed reading this thread and it gives me a good representation on what to look forward to

Just 1 I purchased 1 for pronghorn, deer and elk last year.
Hey, better late than never! ;)

Last edited:
I would love to put in for Montana or other states as well but working full time and supporting a family I just couldn't afford it. I'm putting all my eggs into Wyoming. We visited Wyoming back in October and we loved it. I've always wanted to hunt out west but never knew how to get started. My impression was having to go through an outfitter which I could never afford until I spoke with some locals and realized diy hunt was doable. As far elk I plan on waiting at least five years to cash in. Was gonna try mule deer next year with 2 points. Is it possible to get drawn on second or third choice and not burn my points?

I would love to put in for Montana or other states as well but working full time and supporting a family I just couldn't afford it. I'm putting all my eggs into Wyoming. We visited Wyoming back in October and we loved it. I've always wanted to hunt out west but never knew how to get started. My impression was having to go through an outfitter which I could never afford until I spoke with some locals and realized diy hunt was doable. As far elk I plan on waiting at least five years to cash in. Was gonna try mule deer next year with 2 points. Is it possible to get drawn on second or third choice and not burn my points?
Not really-any unit that has tags available as a 2nd choice is not worth your time and money, unless you have private access, or an outfitter. The other residents on HT will agree with me...
WY does allot a few tags each year to hunters, regardless of preference point totals- that is your best bet to draw a unit without having the points for it. If you are not familiar with this strategy, please PM me--- that is a totally different subject, and a can of worms to open! Randy Newberg covers this in a couple different YouTube videos as well....

Go wy g&f website and get smart on process! You be way ahead if you completely understand process. Apply every year to where you want to hunt reguardless of your points, wy has a random draw and points are not a factor.

Not really-any unit that has tags available as a 2nd choice is not worth your time and money, unless you have private access, or an outfitter. The other residents on HT will agree with me...
WY does allot a few tags each year to hunters, regardless of preference point totals- that is your best bet to draw a unit without having the points for it. If you are not familiar with this strategy, please PM me--- that is a totally different subject, and a can of worms to open! Randy Newberg covers this in a couple different YouTube videos as well....

Yes I've watched this video about five times, Randy does a great job of explaining the draw system. I just didn't know what the realistic possibility is to get drawn on second and third choice. I've also seen several people post about finding success on a trespass fee. But I haven't been able to find out what the going price is for that? Doubt I would be able to afford it but would like to know before I put in for a unit that has limited access.

All of the draw results (Regular, Special, Random, ect...) are posted every year-and here is the link... https://wgfd.wyo.gov/Hunting/Drawing-Odds
If you want to see how good your odds are for getting drawn in the Random Draw, or as a 2nd Choice, this link is your best friend.

As far as trespass fees, you'll have to look up specific landowners, and ask them. Property records are public in WY, and always included contact information. Some owners want $400, and they let anyone hunt who pays, so their land gets overrun with hunting pressure. Some ranches will only allow a few hunters per year, and charge thousands of dollars per hunter. As with most things, you'll get what you pay for.

Thanks for the info, I've been making a spreadsheet and planning based off the wfg hunt planner. It's an awesome tool. I use onx as well so I might have to make some phone calls to landowners in those areas that have limited public land. Might try talking to a local game Warden too. Thanks so much for all the info.

Last few years anyways, I found that my best luck came when I was on my own by myself either opening day or late in the season for the type 1 tags and in mid-November for the doe/fawn tags when other hunters are gone. One thing I noticed last few years is that they seem to calm down and mass up in large herds and seem to be spooked mainly when the coyote comes along.

Come back in week 2, 3 or 4, as late as you can and it gets better.

Wife and I had doe tags in an easy to draw zone. Won't even bother the first week. Mid way through week 2 I went, covered 5 miles on foot, nothing. End of week 3 back to back days we filled tags, hunters gone antelope back in sight.
So your saying like myself with one point I can draw an easy unit and hunt late season? What's the time frame for 3rd week?

have to check the book for area and dates, they vary. Where we hunted this fall on "easy to draw", doe tags went all October, buck (type 1) only first two weeks. We had doe tags. Funny part was my wife stalked to50 yards from 3 bedded bucks that we saw from the road. Since we never stopped the truck, she walked back a bit, and peaked over the hill to make sure they were alone, they were, but three decent bucks just laying there waiting to get shot, but season was over on them

Oh and we also didn't see other hunters

Wow, great write-up. I like the hard hunts and depressing posts because I learn so much from them without actually experiencing the mule kick. I'm just glad you were able to fill tags.

Yes, Randy makes everything funner than it seems because of his headstrong commitment to realistic optimism- even when the chips are down. What I'm about to say is mainly how my perspective has changed as he produces his content. He's gotten skunked on many hunts, so he goes days without seeing elk and antelope, but chooses to be optimistic.

I recall an episode where people trespassed on private to poach an elk on a public section out from under him when he was closest to it; had the ethical and unspoken right to harvesting it. I saw this on an antelope hunt where he was closest to an antelope and kindly voiced his frustration when two hunters zoomed in on an ATV to make the stalk and harvest.

I mention these because I'm trying to burn into my brain how I handle these situations when I encounter them.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back