Antelope advice and thoughts - specific scenario archery

bmt99

I spent some time archery hunting last weekend and blew several stalks (go figure! 😅 ). However, one of them I feel like there would be some strategy to provide a better opportunity. I characterized the layout in the picture below so I can adequately describe the scenario. I got inside the blind spot and within 100 yds before being discovered. I had 6 goats (2 bucks, 4 does) behind a berm next to a fence. With the wind direction, I don't know if there is a solution. 2 of the goats walked up to top of berm and looked right at me. We had a 2-3 minutes stare down and they ran towards road and all the way around me in between me and the pickup. hopefully I have painted a clear picture. It was very exciting! Any advice or thoughts?
IMG_1333.jpg

Go watch them in a natural pasture/basin/valley etc

Then drive up and spook them.

Watch where they "exit stage left"

They'll leave that area the same way every time.

Set up an appropriate ambush.

Have your friend/wife/etc spook them for you.

Viola eazy peazy 10yd shot.

You owe me a bottle of peach crown Royal

make sure they cannot see you park, get out and approach....no matter how far away.

If they are very close to private you may want to reconsider. Even if you make a perfect shot they will likely run 50-100yds before they go down.

Would it be possible to ambush them when they are moving to their bedding area? You dont have a whole lot of room to flank due to the wind. If the brush is tall enough, I would come at it from the SE in your drawing keeping the birm between you as long as possible.

Go watch them in a natural pasture/basin/valley etc

Then drive up and spook them.

Watch where they "exit stage left"

They'll leave that area the same way every time.

Set up an appropriate ambush.

Have your friend/wife/etc spook them for you.

Viola eazy peazy 10yd shot.

You owe me a bottle of peach crown Royal
Man, I wish it was that easy. They do leave the same way as fences are on 2 sides and road on other. They run into a big wide open area. Great for guns, terrible for archery

If they are very close to private you may want to reconsider. Even if you make a perfect shot they will likely run 50-100yds before they go down.

Would it be possible to ambush them when they are moving to their bedding area? You dont have a whole lot of room to flank due to the wind. If the brush is tall enough, I would come at it from the SE in your drawing keeping the birm between you as long as possible.
I don't know where the bedding area is. This year is tough. Really wet year and grasses are waist high in huge patches of land. I was busted on another approach when I didn't even know they were there because grass was so high.

I tried to keep the berm in between us until the probably winded me and walked up the berm to check out the smell. Closest I got was 80 yards. Pretty exciting to get that close to 'em.

Tie a white plastic handle bag to some brush just over the berm, but high enough they can see it and hide near it with the wind in consideration. It should keep their attention and draw them to you. Tie one on your truck antenna if there's even a remote chance they can see it.

Tie a white plastic handle bag to some brush just over the berm, but high enough they can see it and hide near it with the wind in consideration. It should keep their attention and draw them to you. Tie one on your truck antenna if there's even a remote chance they can see it.

Going old school.........worth a try

Back