PEAX Equipment

Another WY elk pp question

Muskeez

Hopefully this post can help others in the same limbo.
I have 4 elk points.
Short version: Get a 2-4 point unit? , go general? , or keep building to 6 points to maybe open up more units?
Long version; I've researched the LE units that I can draw. The list is comprised of several units that have large portions of Wilderness that us NR's can not use, like 95,96,97. Some other units have a ton of private land, 125 and 33 and 34. I also don't want to hunt elk in November when the WT rut is on at home. My short list of units to look at more deeply are 98, 47 & 34. Another option is to just get the general tag and leave 1-2 points on the table. The bonus of doing that of course is I would have a multitude of units to research and choose from in the coming months. I have only elk hunted OTC archery in CO so I'm excited to add WY to my rotation. So I guess my question for others that have been in this boat, did you find it an advantage to get the LE 2-4 point unit, or did you just go general? Or I could continue to build points and keep going to CO ... OK, so I guess I'm just kinda thinking out loud... I value all of you guys' opinions, most of you have a ton of great experience to share, thank you!

If you are going guided to access wilderness sure, go LE otherwise I would go GEN. Lots of opportunity where you are sitting now and I would plan on every unit outside your reach creeping a 1/2 point at a minimum each year going forward. Just go elk hunting when you can.

You thinking mostly archery or rifle?

I would scratch 47 off your list. I talked to the biologist a few years ago for that unit and he didn't recommend it. Plus the residents don't even draw all of their quota for tags. They'd rather have a general unit.

I'm kind of in the same boat as you with 3 points. Not sure which direction to go. Burned points in 2016 and now am starting over. Might take 20 points before I'll catch a current 7-8 point unit...

I'll send you a pm when I have some more time. Have a different unit idea for you to think about.

Thanks for the thoughts guys, I would definitely hunt archery, then rifle if needed.

Yogi said 5pts ain't worth three anymore. Nobody goes to Wyoming anymore its to crowded

Ah gotcha. See, now that you tell me I feel like I should’ve been able to deduce that on my own. Thanks

Not sure about the other areas you mentioned, but I wouldn’t hunt 47 if someone gave me the tag for free. I hunted there a couple years ago (not for elk) and I talked to a father/son pair who had hunted for a week without even seeing an elk track, let alone an elk. We did see a herd but they were nowhere near being accessible by a public land hunter.

A general elk tag is a really awesome tag. If you live close enough that you can make multiple trips and wait for the right conditions regarding weather etc I would go general.

No intel on units you listed but consider this: pretend PP's don't exist for a minute. When you research a WY unit, LE or GEN, assign your own value to it. Would you hunt it this fall if you could? Would you sacrifice to wait and hunt it in a few years? When I look at LE WY and CO elk tags, I found that my value is usually way different than the real value it gets assigned from supply and demand. There are units that require 9-10 points to draw that are not worth 2 points to me. Often the high demand is boosted by ease of access, which I am somewhat concerned with, and antler score potential, which barely registers on my radar. WY general tag is worth about 8 points to me, yet I can get it for far less than that. It's such a ridiculous bargain in my book, and because of that there's not a single LE WY hunt that I am tempted to put in for instead.

If you find that the hunt you want to do requires fewer points than you have, you don't actually burn the points when you draw the tag; you burned the points when you bought them, which is irrelevant to the present.

Haha, LEO is Law Enforcement Officer, not LE. 😁
I decided to do General. Looking forward to it! Will go archery first, then rifle if needed.
Thanks for the replies guys, and best wishes on your draws!

‘Twas a poor attempt at humor. :( Someone else had already answered correctly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back