Another shorty

Bought a tikka 6.5 creedbro and traded the bolt to another guy for his magnum bolt and had my friend ream it to 6.5 prc and cut and thread the barrel at 17”. New mag and a grinder to the bolt stop and she’s ready to go. I’m hoping it will break 2800fps with 140 Berger vld. Also have some 109 grain absolute hammers to play with in it. Suppressor screwed on and it’s the perfect length
View attachment 237587
That’s sorta what I plan to do eventually. Get a 24” creedmoor, ream it out to 264 Win Mag, and either get a magnum bolt or open the bolt face up

That’s sorta what I plan to do eventually. Get a 24” creedmoor, ream it out to 264 Win Mag, and either get a magnum bolt or open the bolt face up
I bet you would be better off with a 6.5 SAUM so you don’t run into COAL issues.

Would it matter on a Tikka since they only make one size of action?

if you’re feeling froggy, jump. I’m just crossing fingers it’s after Christmas.
If he sticks with SAAMI spec ammunition, there wouldn’t be a problem with the 264 WM, but an 8 twist barrel begs for long heavy bullets, with a chamber throated longer than SAAMI and bullets seated out a bit.

Would it matter on a Tikka since they only make one size of action?

if you’re feeling froggy, jump. I’m just crossing fingers it’s after Christmas.

Still limited to like 3.4 I think on it which screws you on the long vld bullets or copper bullets. I’d have to measure a mag when I get home to be sure on that 3.4

It’s more of a “cheapest way to do it” type of thing and I’d be using factory Nosler 130gr accubonds in it. Cabela’s here has had a full shelf of them for 5 months and they’re dusty
You’d be fine then

Any experience with those lightweight hammers at 3200+ FPS on game?
I think those Hammer's are solid copper bullet's? I also think the tip's are scored so they will expand at impact. What that means to me is they will hit at pretty much any velocity you could drive them from a rifle cartridge and penetrate about as good as your likely to need and get the job done. I use cup and core bullet's, just can't bring myself to use the more expensive bullet's, not that much income! But tell you something about those monolithic bullet's, hit a deer or what ever with a bad shot and it's still a bad shot and a wounded animal! You want to make sure a bad shot works, use a 20mm canon!

I think those Hammer's are solid copper bullet's? I also think the tip's are scored so they will expand at impact. What that means to me is they will hit at pretty much any velocity you could drive them from a rifle cartridge and penetrate about as good as your likely to need and get the job done. I use cup and core bullet's, just can't bring myself to use the more expensive bullet's, not that much income! But tell you something about those monolithic bullet's, hit a deer or what ever with a bad shot and it's still a bad shot and a wounded animal! You want to make sure a bad shot works, use a 20mm canon!
Don, Hammers aren't scored, just a hollow point. Size of the hollow point varies between bullet types. mtmuley

This is a 140 Berger in the tikka magazine
View attachment 237905
Now that is interesting! I had a 7mm Mag many years ago that I though would be more accurate if I could seat the bullets to the base of the neck like the 140gr bullet's that shot really well. It was an L61R Sako rifle. I seated a 160 gr bullet as I wanted to and it would fit in the magazine so I took the dummy cartridge and rifle to a gun smith and had him open the throat up to allow me to seat cartridge's that long. Result was My powder chg went up two grains and the accuracy was greatly improved. Had a 700 BDL in 6mm and 100 gr bullet's didn't shoot as well as I wanted so tried that little trick. Didn't work as the problem with the 700 BDL magazine was to short to allow me to load a round in it!

Im sure that that Sako action was a bit longer than a similar rifle in the same chamber that would not allow the bullet to be seated out. That was the problem with that 6mm Rem. Have a couplke rifles in 243 that doesn't seem to have the same problem but then never tried a 100gr bullet in them. The 243's shoot the pants off that 6mm.

I tried some of those tipped Hornady's in a friends 7mm mag and I had to seat them deeper than I wanted to get then in the magazine. Rifle never shot that great but then it was a older rifle. Point is the magazine well was simply to short to seat the bullet's as I wanted. Wonder what would happen if that Tikka magazine well was a bit longer?

Don, Hammers aren't scored, just a hollow point. Size of the hollow point varies between bullet types. mtmuley
Really? Thought all those type bullet's were scored to control the expansion. learn something new every day. But they open and being solid they are still gonna do the job.

Really? Thought all those type bullet's were scored to control the expansion. learn something new every day. But they open and being solid they are still gonna do the job.
I've seen scored bullets before. For the life of me I can't remember what they were, or if they were a mono. When I was a kid me and my bud used to score .22 bullets. Dumb kids. mtmuley

I've seen scored bullets before. For the life of me I can't remember what they were, or if they were a mono. When I was a kid me and my bud used to score .22 bullets. Dumb kids. mtmuley

I believe the bulk pack of 22-250 bullets 45 grain were a scored bullet. Not sure if you can even buy them anymore

Maker's are scored

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back