Yeti GOBOX Collection

Another SE AK bear hunt.

I need to get back up ther and do that hunt again.... Truly the land of giant bears and one of the prettiest places I have been. Which end of the island did you hunt?

IMG_0179.jpg

I shot this 5 footer in 16b 2 weeks ago. Ok for my first bear. Maybe I'll try applying for SE Alaska this year and try hunting there next fall. Sounds like they are a little bigger there. But I think anywhere remote in Alaska they can grow mighty old.

Awesome! I love POW! I've been going up there hunting and fishing almost every year since I was 13. I consider it my second home. I drew a black bear tag up there for next spring and I can't wait to get up there and chase them!

Reactions: LCH
Got my bear back from the taxidermist. I think it turned out really nice. Still not sure exactly where he is going to end up. It has D rings to hang on the wall but it sure would take up a lot of wall space if that’s where he ends up. For now I’m just hanging him over my railing on my loft area.

109C88B2-46F9-4BCD-9A19-718EF63CD56E.jpeg97E4ED8A-F1CA-4B12-BFE6-751F203924CD.jpeg

Thanks for the comments. I really am happy with how he turned out. Not the biggest bear, but maybe the prettiest hide I've seen on one in person. It really has amazingly thick and soft fur.

What kind of fishing? That last bear is a tank.

We did a charter out of Craig for salmon and halibut. Was a complete bust on kings, we got a few bites but never got one in the boat. Caught a couple halibut and a ton of black bass. We were struggling so the guide took us to a spot where were were catching black bass on bare hooks as fast as we could drop them in. If you eat it quickly the black bass tastes good enough to me.

I really think that last bear was a tank. Everything about it seemed bigger than either bear we had shot and the one my buddy shot ended up squaring at 6'9" and had a 19 7/8" skull.

Beautiful bear, Nathan. What did he square?

Thanks. He ended up squaring right at 6' on the dot. 77" nose to tail and 67" front paw to front paw. Not a huge bear, but respectable and the nice fur really makes up for it in my opinion.

Now I just need to shoot one with a great big noggin sometime!

Thanks for the comments. I really am happy with how he turned out. Not the biggest bear, but maybe the prettiest hide I've seen on one in person. It really has amazingly thick and soft fur.

Judging head size is super tough... what did yours end up measuring 17.5-18.5 ? Personally I would pick smaller skull and better hide every day of the week.

Judging head size is super tough... what did yours end up measuring 17.5-18.5 ? Personally I would pick smaller skull and better hide every day of the week.

Agreed. Mine measured 18 3/4" according to the sealer. I think he was a good representative bear. I think the heads on POW are a little bigger for their body size than most places.

Just thought about the tooth that they pulled when they sealed it and wondered if they ever sent an email on it. Looked on the website and it looks like you need to call them to get that information. I called and got transferred around and left a message. I think it will be interesting to find out how old these bears were.

Agreed. Mine measured 18 3/4" according to the sealer. I think he was a good representative bear. I think the heads on POW are a little bigger for their body size than most places.

Exactly... I don't think body wise the bears were particularly exceptional, but they had huge heads. I swear I saw a 120lb, 4.5ft sow with a 15.5-16 inch head.

I just got off the phone with the bear biologist. He said that my bear was 6 years old and the bear that my buddy shot was 10 years old.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back