another Question from Old man

old man

Packing for my wyo. elk hunt. wondering if you put your large back packs in another bag or leave it as is when checking your baggage on flight? wearied about theft.

I haven't had any issues sending the bag itself. Usually cinch up all the straps and buckle all the buckles.

Baggage machinery can be hell on straps and buckles. If you can't carry it on, put it in a duffel bag.

What pack is it? I have taken a few different ones as carry on that didn't fit the rules in the least. My usual is a MR Metcalf with load lifter extensions. It doesn't fit, but no one ever asks about it. It is usually loaded with camera gear, binocs and a spotter.

Jeremy

my pack is a kuiu 5200 and having trouble getting it to fit into my sons air force duffle bag. also have full day pack and full riffle case. don't know what not to bring. bags on rei don't tell you what size they are. how dumb is that!

I have shopped several bags on REI and all I have had to do was click on the specs tab and a plethora of information was made available to me. Not sure where you're looking, but I have never had an issue finding capacity on REI.

I have shopped several bags on REI and all I have had to do was click on the specs tab and a plethora of information was made available to me. Not sure where you're looking, but I have never had an issue finding capacity on REI.
They usually have the info under the specs tab. I have usually had great luck with rei and their info on packs. Take another look I bet you just overlooked it. Good luck on your trip. Also, I have heard of guys shipping their stuff ups to a friend, hotel, etc. It may be cheaper and safer.

A 5200 is a big pack. If you are doing a guided hunt, my suggestion is to leave it. They will take care of your game, and you can use a pack of theirs if you want to be part of the pack out.

Outdoor Products makes a duffle called the Deluxe Duffle. I used one to bring my trophy back from Asia this spring. The duffel is pretty simple, but it is sturdy and huge. They have the XL that is 40" long and the mammoth that is 42". I get them at Dunhams locally.

Duct tape the handles down and put one wrap around in three places after it is packed to keep the zipper from blowing open. TSA may cut the tape, but it is worth trying.

Shipping gear is a good suggestion. You can even legally ship your rifle as long as you label it correctly and are the one to open it at the destination.

Jeremy

my pack is a kuiu 5200 and having trouble getting it to fit into my sons air force duffle bag. also have full day pack and full riffle case. don't know what not to bring. bags on rei don't tell you what size they are. how dumb is that!
If you buy the REI duffle I linked to, I can all but garantee your pack will fit. My pack is rated as 2000 cubic inches larger than yours and fits in it even when full.

Here's the specs of that duffle from the linked website:
Best use Backpacking, Travel
Material(s) Nylon
Dimensions 32 x 17 x 12 inches
Weight 19.7 ounces

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back