Another Poacher Caught

The level of poaching in Australia would shock many Americans but not as much as the meat wastage. I would say if I've come across 100 dead deer in my life 95 of them looked like this. Head cut off (in this case sawed off) and zero meat taken.

Attachments

• 20190610_075636.jpg
    20190610_075636.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 42
The level of poaching in Australia would shock many Americans but not as much as the meat wastage. I would say if I've come across 100 dead deer in my life 95 of them looked like this. Head cut off (in this case sawed off) and zero meat taken.
Do most hunters in Australia eat the meat? If not, why? Or are you referring to just poachers?

I have zero tolerance for poachers. They threaten the very sport we just spent hours and days waiting to see if we drew tags for. They need to make poaching very expensive when you get caught along with a minimum jail sentence of at least one year.

Do most hunters in Australia eat the meat? If not, why? Or are you referring to just poachers?
There's no wanton waste laws so it's perfectly legal. It was never as big a deal in the past but in the last 15 years with magazines and social media pushing the trophy side of things people have gone crazy. In the states you're still restricted by tags but here it's now become that guys will go out to shoot as many stags as they can just to lop the heads to show off to people. I'm just one bloke but in my experience maybe 10% of hunters eat venison regularly, maybe 20% occasionally eat it or feed it to dogs. Most just leave it to rot and go home with the head and cook a beef steak for tea.

Thanks to the hunters who reported what they saw, and the work from the warden who worked hard to catch the scum!

There's no wanton waste laws so it's perfectly legal. It was never as big a deal in the past but in the last 15 years with magazines and social media pushing the trophy side of things people have gone crazy. In the states you're still restricted by tags but here it's now become that guys will go out to shoot as many stags as they can just to lop the heads to show off to people. I'm just one bloke but in my experience maybe 10% of hunters eat venison regularly, maybe 20% occasionally eat it or feed it to dogs. Most just leave it to rot and go home with the head and cook a beef steak for tea.
Interesting. Thanks.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giddyup64
Back