MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Another New guy Turkey thread

Tony8734

Hey Everyone, I'm new here. My name's Tony. I live in Longmont and I'm a Colorado native. Last fall I saw turkeys in several areas along the Colorado front range - when I was muzzleloading deer. So now I'm thinking about the Spring Turkey hunt in the same area. I was at 8,000 feet in Ponderosa's and meadows in October but I'm pretty sure they'll be lower in April. Do you think the turkeys migrate to 7,000-8,000 or even lower? I'm not looking for details because I've got two areas I'm familiar with, just trying to spark a Colorado Turkey conversation. Thanks!

Welcome from the front range. I saw them up at 10000 last year in mid October but further in the mountains. I have also hunted a lot of turkeys on the plains but planning on starting to hunt the mountain birds this year as well. On the front range I would think they stay in similar areas year round since they don’t get pushed lower because of snow. They will follow the food and the green up. All depends on where you are planning on going I would think.

Yep, theyll follow the snow line, which at this point is pretty high up it seems. And I'm doing the opposite, I'm heading east out of the mountains this year. If I ever find plains elk, I'll never hunt the mountains again🤣🤣

Yep, theyll follow the snow line, which at this point is pretty high up it seems. And I'm doing the opposite, I'm heading east out of the mountains this year. If I ever find plains elk, I'll never hunt the mountains again🤣🤣

That are out there but make the mountain elk look like social media stars. They are illusive as all get out. The S Platte river bottom hides a lot of animals you wouldn’t expect

Welcome
e.png

Welcome from CO! Shot my turkey along the south platte river last year. Would check out around there. Never done any mountain turkey hunting. Hope you fill your turkey tag this year.

I'm going to buy a trail cam for the area I discovered last year. I can mountain bike up the closed Forest service road and hike in about a mile. I've been trying to get in shape lately and this'll help. I'm interested to see what runs around up there. What do Turkeys eat in the winter?

That are out there but make the mountain elk look like social media stars. They are illusive as all get out. The S Platte river bottom hides a lot of animals you wouldn’t expect
I've found tracks and had them bugling at night near camp, but they move around a lot and end up on private quite a bit. One of these days though.....

Welcome from CO! Shot my turkey along the south platte river last year. Would check out around there. Never done any mountain turkey hunting. Hope you fill your turkey tag this year.
Were you by chance out east along the south Platte or more along the front range?

I've been hitting the mnt turkey hunting hard in the last two years, I'm in Evergreen. Most of it around 10k. I had that same question, how far are these things moving elevation wise to find that snow line or feed? I may have answered my own question a month ago while messing around on a ridge at 10500. I found a roost tree being used every day by a huge footed gobbler. I could see where he came and went and everyday and even met up with his ladies. It was in 2 foot of snow in the middle of winter. So my newest assumption is, they may travel that snow line looking for feed, but they also can roost wherever they want.

I laugh when thinking about these OTC front range ghost gobblers compared to the farmyard turkey back East. One you should get trophy for and one should be considered shooting fish in a barrel. That being said, I've heard in the multiple point turkey units, the hunting is hot.

I'm in the Longmont area. Ive been scouting gmu20. There are lots of birds in the low foothills right now but they're on boulder's open space ... not huntable. I'm scouting now that I've got lots of time but I haven't seen much.

Back