Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

New to turkey hunting in Colorado

Westexas92

I am hunting turkey for the first time ever this year, in Colorado. I have been to several areas scouting without much success. What should I be looking for while I'm in the field scouting/hunting and also E-scouting? I was going to go out to GMU 39 next weekend to try a couple of spots that look decent on onX. Does anyone have any info that they would be willing to share with me about that area? I've got an OTC tag this season. That's a stretch I know lol.

Anybody that ever types in GMU 39 on google will see this post. Therefore, it’s generally not wise to post helpful hints on public forums nor is it customary to ask for such a specific unit. You may get some PMs that would be a good place for you to break down your hopeful honey holes, but on the thread you should try to keep it more of a broad area. Wouldn’t want to finally find a good spot and have some goober tell ya he found it too, reading your hunttalk post would ya??

I am hunting turkey for the first time ever this year, in Colorado. I have been to several areas scouting without much success. What should I be looking for while I'm in the field scouting/hunting and also E-scouting? I was going to go out to GMU 39 next weekend to try a couple of spots that look decent on onX. Does anyone have any info that they would be willing to share with me about that area? I've got an OTC tag this season. That's a stretch I know lol.

try honeyhole.com and welcome to HT

Just be patient, You get a gobble back at ya. Be quite for 15 - 20 minutes and let him work his way in to you. If you do call , soft clucks and purs. Good Luck.

Just be patient, You get a gobble back at ya. Be quite for 15 - 20 minutes and let him work his way in to you. If you do call , soft clucks and purs. Good Luck.
I've been out and seen a ton of sign, and one hen, but haven't seen or heard any toms. It's been great just getting out and at least finding sign. I've got an area that I know they are in so I'm just gonna pound that piece of land while I learn and hopefully become successful. Thanks for the tips, I've been doing some limited calling since I'm still a novice, but I'll try this out

I've been out and seen a ton of sign, and one hen, but haven't seen or heard any toms. It's been great just getting out and at least finding sign. I've got an area that I know they are in so I'm just gonna pound that piece of land while I learn and hopefully become successful. Thanks for the tips, I've been doing some limited calling since I'm still a novice, but I'll try this out
I've already filled my tags, but I live close to 39. Send me a message and I will come help you out on a weekend.

Patience kills turkeys. Take your time while hunting, don’t be in a hurry. Turkeys are on turkey time and not a clock like you are. Listen for birds, but not just gobbling. Listen for hens as well. If you’re not hearing much gobbling, set up in areas where you’ve found sign and be patient. Call very sparingly, cluck or purr a couple of times every 20 minutes or so. OR you can be very aggressive, covering ground trying to strike a hot bird. I’d only go that route if you have LOTS of ground and lots of birds. Good luck and stay with it even if you get discouraged. And just because you don’t hear them doesn’t mean they’re not there.

I've already filled my tags, but I live close to 39. Send me a message and I will come help you out on a weekend.
Okay will do. I'm hoping to get out next weekend.. having a little car trouble but it should be taken care of this week. Thank you for offering

Patience kills turkeys. Take your time while hunting, don’t be in a hurry. Turkeys are on turkey time and not a clock like you are. Listen for birds, but not just gobbling. Listen for hens as well. If you’re not hearing much gobbling, set up in areas where you’ve found sign and be patient. Call very sparingly, cluck or purr a couple of times every 20 minutes or so. OR you can be very aggressive, covering ground trying to strike a hot bird. I’d only go that route if you have LOTS of ground and lots of birds. Good luck and stay with it even if you get discouraged. And just because you don’t hear them doesn’t mean they’re not there.
I've definitely had to catch myself more than once wanting to move to much or to quickly.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back