Yeti GOBOX Collection

Another Grizzly poached

A lot of badazzes preaching SSS. I wonder how many of them would actually follow through with it knowing it could cost them $40k and a loss of hunting and fishing privileges.
Leave the grizzly management to the professionals, they are doing a fine job considering the circumstances. Actions like this only delay the ability to get grizzlies delisted and under state management where they belong.

A lot of badazzes preaching SSS. I wonder how many of them would actually follow through with it knowing it could cost them $40k and a loss of hunting and fishing privileges.
Leave the grizzly management to the professionals, they are doing a fine job considering the circumstances. Actions like this only delay the ability to get grizzlies delisted and under state management where they belong.
They are never going to get delisted.
And they are doing a horrible job on the management side of things.

First, I dont think anyone actually engages in sss. At least of Grizzlies. The digging in Rocky Mountains, the size of hole and the shear act of dragging a dead grizzly is more work than 99.99999% of the people would actually do.

Second, management is far more political than professional. I am often surprised by hunters opposed to conservation and balance.

I
First, I dont think anyone actually engages in sss. At least of Grizzlies. The digging in Rocky Mountains, the size of hole and the shear act of dragging a dead grizzly is more work than 99.99999% of the people would actually do.

Second, management is far more political than professional. I am often surprised by hunters opposed to conservation and balance.
The current north American model of hunting has been designed around a time when there were not lgrizzlies or large packs of wolves roaming the countryside.
The things we need more of are more quality hunters, more quality habitat, and more access to those areas.
More Apex predators is not one of the things we need more of.

When people say they are mismanaged, how do you mean. As I see it there is no management other than dealing with them when something happens. Sure they are trying to track how many are around but that is not management. Untell the management to given to the states all they can do is deal with the problem bears.

I am pretty sure we agree with each other, but your tone seems odd.
SSS is a total myth, perpetuated by keyboard warriors and barroom heroes. Most of them couldn't hit the surface of the Earth with the tip of a spade shovel.
I agree that management direction of grizzly bears is largely political. But, there are many, many professionals who carry out the day to day management of grizzlies and have to navigate the complexities of social and political pressures, all while toeing the fine line between maintaining too many or too few bears to meet the various demands. I don't envy what they have to do, but they have my utmost respect.

I

The current north American model of hunting has been designed around a time when there were not lgrizzlies or large packs of wolves roaming the countryside.
The things we need more of are more quality hunters, more quality habitat, and more access to those areas.
More Apex predators is not one of the things we need more of.
The Model includes seven foundational principles:1
1) wildlife resources are a public trust to be managed by governments for the benefit of all citizens;

2) unregulated commercial markets for wild game that decimate wildlife populations are eliminated;

3) allocation is by law, meaning that laws are developed by citizens and enforced by government agencies to regulate the proper use and management of wildlife;

4) opportunity for all, which means that every citizen has the freedom to view, hunt and fish, regardless of social or economic status;

5) wild game populations cannot be killed casually, but only for a legitimate purpose as defined by law;

6) wildlife will be considered an international resource because wildlife migrates across political boundaries; and

7) science is the proper basis for wildlife policy and management, not opinion or conjecture, in order to sustain wildlife populations. These principles were assembled and framed as the "North American Model of Wildlife Conservation" long after they were implemented; the Model is essentially a modern description of why conservation efforts in the 20th century were so successful. These principles are important because they led to the creation of a number of mechanisms and institutions that, combined, are largely responsible for the remarkable diversity and abundance of wildlife that we have today.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't see poaching as a fundamental principle here, nor for that matter anything that is anti-predator. The ESA is an important law, fundamentally I think it works well; yes I think the continuous litigation over favorite species is ridiculous. I do think that while groups like CBD have taken it too far, states + USFWS have opened them up to litigation by not following the law. If agencies would dot the I's and cross the T's we would have a much easier time delisting wolves and grizzlies.

IMHO guys who poach grizzlies are just as likely to poach elk, muleys, or sheep. They don't give a shit about the law.

Not that it matters, but I applied for a WY GB tag when they were going to have a hunt, I will apply again when hunts open in various states, and I applied in AK to hunt brown bear this fall.

1. Boone and Crocket Club

Back