Another fine quality Vortex Diamondback…

That going on the Remmy?
As I’m typing…

Moved the .223 Remington out of the XRS chassis and put the new model 11 .260 Remington into it. The .223 and the .260 will be sharing an XRS and B&C M40 stock.

I’ll have to figure out what to put on this one. It’s a bit more “technical”. It will eventually go into a long action receiver when I cut the throat to 0.320”.

I need to zero this before I leave Monday so it’s riding in the XRS until I get home. At least I’ll be able to zero it and work up a load in the next couple day.
AF12F850-0A3A-4669-A623-927E5C764357.jpeg

It's like buying a tub of greasy air
Goes good with a fire too.
4AF95F2E-CB45-4414-B16C-555C348DE726.jpeg

I think the box is a higher quality than the scope…

Returning the old one.
3861E933-3CB1-4F7D-9125-1F579F41E967.jpeg

It was a 3-9X40. The new one was a 4-12X40.

AD19A2BB-292C-40FA-AC27-84221BAFFD5C.jpeg

I am starting to think that all the hype around the Vortex scopes was BS. It is good to hear that they at least have a good warranty replacement reputation.

I must be in the minority here with Vortex. I have an HS LR scope on my 7mm that has been on the gun a few years. It's a now discontinued model but it has been great. Also have a diamondback scope on a .243 that my 11 year old son is shooting, so far after the last two years, it has been fine. Also have their Razor HD 10x42 binos and they haven't had any issues. Even picked up a couple pairs of diamondback binos for my wife and son and have had no issues with those either. Feel bad for you guys who have had bad luck with the Vortex product line, as I am sure it is extremely frustrating and the problems probably end up surfacing at the worst possible times.

A diamondback and a VX3 aren't on the same playing field. The Leupold should be better than the diamondback! The Diamondback is more comparable to the VX-Freedom. The viper would compare more to the VX3! Regardless, good thing you have it figured out now.

Pretty sure the turret isn’t supposed to come off with the cap.

Waiting for a warranty RMA now for vortex.

I doubt it will be back in time for Minnesota deer season in November.
View attachment 238341View attachment 238342View attachment 238343
I am glad I saw this. In the market for a long range {600yard} scope. Figured I would get on here and read and ask questions. Was considering this company. I know nothing about shooting over 200 yards or so.

I am glad I saw this. In the market for a long range {600yard} scope. Figured I would get on here and read and ask questions. Was considering this company. I know nothing about shooting over 200 yards or so.
There's really nothing wrong with vortex. The problem is when you expect top tier performance out of their entry level scopes.

Vortex makes good scopes, just don't buy one of their cheapest scopes. Their Viper and Razor lines great optics.

There's really nothing wrong with vortex. The problem is when you expect top tier performance out of their entry level scopes.

Vortex makes good scopes, just don't buy one of their cheapest scopes. Their Viper and Razor lines great optics.
I had a Viper that lost zero after flying to an elk hunt, so I don't know if I'd agree......

I bought a Razor spotting scope that had to go back right out of the box.

I had a black flake in hit. Maybe the flake showed up because the scope is Ultra High Definition.

It was the 3rd and last Vortex anything I bought. All 3 had a trip back.

I am going on an elk hunt next year. I hunt PA so 99% of my shots are under 100 yards. Shot a whitetail at 167 yards this year that was on a slope about 30 feet below me. I was shocked that I needed to shoot 3 times before I hit it and when I did hit it I hit it in the spine. Due to how we hunt in my area of PA I had never experienced having to shoot almost 200 yards compounded by the 30 foot drop in elevation across the field. Due to the elk hunt I need to learn to shoot 300-500 yards and while my scope is fine for 300 yards (probably) I dont want to leave anything to chance for a once in a lifetime Montana elk hunt. I will be using my rem 700 BDL .30-06 I am thinking 180 grain bullet but I need a much better scope for this kind of hunting. And I also am very green when it comes to any type of long range shooting. And by long range I mean anything over 200 or so yards.

I think its going to be hit or miss with any Vortex optic regardless of price point. I tried a Razor HD gen2 and it the edge of the glass was like looking through a fish bowl. Vortex replaced it no questions asked, the replacement scope was definitely better but still questionable. Put it on Ebay and never looked at Vortex again.

I am going on an elk hunt next year. I hunt PA so 99% of my shots are under 100 yards. Shot a whitetail at 167 yards this year that was on a slope about 30 feet below me. I was shocked that I needed to shoot 3 times before I hit it and when I did hit it I hit it in the spine. Due to how we hunt in my area of PA I had never experienced having to shoot almost 200 yards compounded by the 30 foot drop in elevation across the field. Due to the elk hunt I need to learn to shoot 300-500 yards and while my scope is fine for 300 yards (probably) I dont want to leave anything to chance for a once in a lifetime Montana elk hunt. I will be using my rem 700 BDL .30-06 I am thinking 180 grain bullet but I need a much better scope for this kind of hunting. And I also am very green when it comes to any type of long range shooting. And by long range I mean anything over 200 or so yards.
Math says your misses had nothing to do with a 30' slope to your target. The difference between the line of site distance of 167 and the straight horizontal effect of gravity at those numbers is next to nothing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back