Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Another cooler thought

Rooster52

I bought a new Coleman 5 day 120 quart cooler for my elk trip,but now thinking ,I think I am going to pick up two or three smaller coolers ,say around 50 quart. A 120 quart cooler with a elk in it would be to much for me to lift.Was not thinking of the loaded weight when I bought it.

Or just take the bags of meat out of the cooler for a couple seconds and then move cooler and reload. The larger cooler takes up less space in the back of the truck leaving more space for other gear. If you are taking an additional trailer this may not be an issue for you and then the three smaller coolers will work well for you.

For sure need 2 stout guys to load a 120 quart cooler with meat and ice in it.
Not everyone does... ;) Though I may have nearly blown an O-ring doing so.

I'm in the camp of fewer, bigger coolers. If I think it's going to end up heavier than I can pick up, I don't put stuff in it until it's on the truck. :D

Use your head not your back...load on tail gate, remove some things to make lighter before moving it. Think before you pick up a large heavy cooler. If you have a fickle back like I do you will do the smart thing

I have a 200-quart Coleman and it is a great cooler. I have loaded it with stuff in it with a person on each end, but it is not easy. It is sure better to load it in the truck empty and then fill it. It is so long, that it is a bit awkward even empty. There is plenty of room for a boned-out elk and ice. To me, small coolers are for small items. They are a pain for carrying large amounts of meat.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back