another COOLER size qustion (specific to 165qt)

BrokenChicken

hey guys,
hoping anyone who has 165qt size coolers can chime in.
**not looking to start debate on premium vs cheap coolers. i will ultimately get one of the more premium options.

if anyone has GRIZZLY 165qt cooler, - have you been able to fit average size ELK quartered in it BoneIn 🍖 *(if you have other brand is same size please speak up).
last 2 seasons i've been lucky enough to harvest 3 Elk (2 cows, 1 bull) all were average size. i also was lucky that a friend lent me his 205qt cooler, but after borrowing it for two seasons i need to get my own. i'd love to get a 200-210qt size and be done, but they are very few and far in between, and cost substantially more. they're also an overkill for Deer/Antelope trips.
i had NO Problems fitting all 4 quarters, backstraps, heart, liver and in even neck. 1st season we actually came up on small Mule buck roadkill so managed to fit 3small Mule buck quarters in with Elk cow as well and some ice for drive home **(i actually think i may have had another smaller cooler so not all 3 small mule quarters might have been in large cooler, i dont remember for sure, but i know some did fit along with ELK)

is 165qt doable for a regular elk or not?
**i do have 65qt Yeti and some 45-50qty cheaper Colemans, so i can always bring one of those along.

seems Grizzly has 20% sale right now, and i'm debating pickign one up.
thanks.

Bull was 174lbs On-Bone pack out weight (+antlers not in cooler) with about 50lbs of ICE
Cow was 180lbs On-Bone pack out weight with about 50lbs of ICE

Attachments

• Bull.jpg
    Bull.jpg
    989.3 KB · Views: 12
  • Cow.jpg
    Cow.jpg
    597.6 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Bone in? Probably, but it'd be tight and be dependent on the size of the elk.

Boned out? Definitely

I've used Grizzly 160/165s a bunch but not on the trip when I got an elk. Here's one with a mess of pronghorn meat/quarters in it. I believe we got 6 boned out pronghorn in there with a healthy amount of ice.

20170914_171520.jpg

And here's how we road tripped out to Idaho last fall with a 160 and a 165.
20200913_164848.jpg

Is bone in a must?
So far I’ve only hunted CO for Elk where im a resident. So my drives home are only 3-5hours. I like to let the quarters hang a day or two when i get home if its cold. Just must easier to process at home so i prefer to take it out of field on a bone instead of dealing with thag mess in field and risk getting meat dirty. Not opposed to boning-out one day just havent had to yet.

Bone in? Probably, but it'd be tight and be dependent on the size of the elk.

Boned out? Definitely

I've used Grizzly 160/165s a bunch but not on the trip when I got an elk. Here's one with a mess of pronghorn meat/quarters in it. I believe we got 6 boned out pronghorn in there with a healthy amount of ice.

View attachment 187661

And here's how we road tripped out to Idaho last fall with a 160 and a 165.
View attachment 187662
Awesome thanks for sharing.
if its late season and quarters can freeze up on their own while hanging i may not need to put too much ice in there anyways. If i end ul getting 165qt i think ill just bring along my 65qt yeti on elk hunts so i can be safe.
it was a pain to try and load up that 205qt cooler full of elk into back of subaru. Cooler is about 75lbs, 180lbs of meat, 50lbs of ice…. Thats anout 300lbs to handle. When i hunted solo and harvested a cow it was a pain to load meat in there alone and then try to puck it in the back of folded seats.

It ain’t the cooler it’s the Suburu.

I have a 170 and bone in no way. Boned out yes. I can’t load mine myself without sliding it in ramps.

I have one and can fit a processed cow elk a a pronghorn buck in it. If you did bone in it will fit a whole quartered elk using dry ice. It will be tight so make sure you use card board between the meat and dry ice. Bag ice won’t fit it all in.

I have one and can fit a processed cow elk a a pronghorn buck in it. If you did bone in it will fit a whole quartered elk using dry ice. It will be tight so make sure you use card board between the meat and dry ice. Bag ice won’t fit it all in.
Never thought of dry ice. Like that idea. Is dry ice available mosr gasstations/walmarts?

Back