PEAX Equipment

Cooler size for 2 fully processed bull elk

dirtnap_nation

Hey guys I currently have an 80qt yeti and a 120 qt igloo marine. Was wondering how many coolers and what quart size I should get for 2 fully processed bull elk. My dad and I are both going to a limited draw hunt in Wyoming and our buddy that lives out there is doin the scouting and things look great so I don’t want jinx myself but I’m wondering how many coolers and how many quarts per fully processed bull elk. We will process it at our buddies before we go home. Also do you have additional cooler for the cape? If so what size? I want to get Orion’s but don’t know if I’ll have another 1,000 to drop on coolers before the trip. Thanks

120 might do but I've always used 150 qt. I keep the stinky capes in a separate 70qt. Your gonna end up with 270 to 320 lbs meat.

Hey guys I currently have an 80qt yeti and a 120 qt igloo marine. Was wondering how many coolers and what quart size I should get for 2 fully processed bull elk. My dad and I are both going to a limited draw hunt in Wyoming and our buddy that lives out there is doin the scouting and things look great so I don’t want jinx myself but I’m wondering how many coolers and how many quarts per fully processed bull elk. We will process it at our buddies before we go home. Also do you have additional cooler for the cape? If so what size? I want to get Orion’s but don’t know if I’ll have another 1,000 to drop on coolers before the trip. Thanks

Thankful to say that I just recently had my first experience with this.....

I'd plan on at least a 150 quart per processed elk if you can. 120 might do it, but you'll be pushing it. You could just find a Walmart in Wyoming and buy a couple Coleman extremes for $60 a piece. If you don't need them, return them.

I actually bought a freezer after killing and and drove the meat home that way (with a generator to keep it running). You didn't say where you'll be driving from, or if you plan to freeze the meat after you process it out or wait until you get home to freeze it. You may need some room for dry ice which is why I suggest the 150 or two 120's.

Deboning and just keeping the meat on ice might be logistically easier for you. I always ice my deer for 2 weeks and know some guys who go 3 weeks. Didn't didn't that with my elk but will likely go this route in the future.

I originally bought a 5CF freezer for my elk , but that ended up being too small to fit everything the way I had it packaged. Ended up getting a 9CF freezer instead and had extra room. 6 to 7 CF would handle an elk. 9CF freezer ran me $300 and I already owned the generator.

Ended up with right around 300lb pounds of meat from my Bull. That will take the pressure off my deer season and my family will eat that in a year.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Back