Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Annual elk rifle thread

Since 1996 I've used a standard wood/blue ruger mk2 in 30-06. Factory 180gr Winchester fail safes, then switched to 180gr partitions. I've taken several bulls over the years but prefer cows as I'm just a meat hunter. Heading to New Mexico in a couple weeks for a late season cow hunt. I have taken 3 elk with a ruger hawkeye in 308win and 2 with a model 70 win in 300wsm and 1 with a model 70 super grade chambered in 270win.

Being that seasons are winding down I figured I start a thread asking about everyone’s elk rifle as I enjoy reading what everyone is using and why they chose it. So what was your elk rifle this year and why did you chose that particular rifle and cartridge and what bullet are you using? How many elk have you shot with that combo? Mine was a 6.5 prc shooting 140 grain Berger vlds but it changes year to year for me
Proof Research Elevation FDE in .300 win mag, Nightforce nx8 2.5-20 for the optic. 200 grain Hornady Eldx hand load. First year with it, dropped a bull and my wife used it to take her first mule deer buck. The brake I have on it makes it a real dandy shooter but I'm hoping to afford a can in the next year or two.

I'm one of the guys hanging onto his Winchester 30-06, had it for 20 yrs now, was going to upgrade but it flat out shoots well and I'm comfortable with it. Shooting Winchester 180 grain Ballistic Silvertips.

The wife as a fairly new hunter shoots a HOWA 25-06 and she's shot 3 elk & a handful of deer & an antelope with it, all stone dead on the spot or within 40 yards, that gun flat out kills animals with its speed.

This year for my first elk season, a late cow tag, I’m bringing along my Stevens (Savage) 200, .30-06. I’m shooting 150gr eTip handloads. Monkeyed around with this bullet lots and still haven’t found a load this gun truly likes. 1.5” groups is about as tight as it goes. Maybe someday I’ll buy something nice.

Last edited:
How do you like the Thunderbeast? I've been eyeballing that for my .300. Beautiful gun, BTW.
It's great! Its my only suppressor not sure I'd ever go back to hunting without one. So nice to not have ringing ears after a shot at an animal and forgetting to put in hearing protection.

Its accurate and I take it on an off every time I pull it in and out of the case and it keeps the same point of impact. It was quite a bit different from the initial load development and sight-in with just the break. But once sighted in it hasn't changed.

Back