Annual elk rifle thread

brockel

Being that seasons are winding down I figured I start a thread asking about everyone’s elk rifle as I enjoy reading what everyone is using and why they chose it. So what was your elk rifle this year and why did you chose that particular rifle and cartridge and what bullet are you using? How many elk have you shot with that combo? Mine was a 6.5 prc shooting 140 grain Berger vlds but it changes year to year for me

Currently using a Browning Xbolt carbon stalker in 300 win mag shooting factory 180 federal trophy bonded tips. Only a handful of elk with it so far. Chose that rifle to compliment my 25-06 I use for deer and antelope. Picked up a lightly used tikka 300wsm recently that I’m hoping to build a short barreled elk gun out of. Still debating on which route to go with it though.

Ruger M77 MkII, 30-06. Put a Leupold 4.5-10 HD scope on it to replace the Bushnell, and after free floating it is a sub MOA shooter with 180gr Remington Core-Lokt factory ammo. No idea what I would shoot if this had not been given to me by my father-in-law, but it does its work for me.

David
NM

F40E554D-3047-4FED-9CAF-DCBF4A4F3190.jpeg
Browning Hell’s Canyon Speed Long Range in .300 WSM. Scope is a Leupold VX5 HD 3x15x44. It’s shoots a lot of loads really well but I’m currently shooting Nosler trophy grade ammo with 180 Accubonds. No elk with this combo yet, but a man can dream can’t he?

Currently shooting a 300 wsm in a Winchester stainless, pre extreme.
Shooting 175 lrx
I find it a little heavy for as much walking as I do.
I have shot several elk, a moose, and a few deer with it.
I have changed rifles pretty regularly but this one has stuck around for 3 seasons.

Browning Abolt Stainless stalker in 300 wsm. 180gr nosler accubond. 1 elk and multiple deer. Im going to see if I can have the barrel threaded this winter so I can try a muzzle break. Would like to shrink my groups at 300-400. Also just bought a mossberg patriot predator 6.5 creedmoor for my son so am looking foward to shooting that

Model 22 Cooper 6.5x2854 w/Zeiss Conquest.first elk taken this year second elk overall. Nosler Trophy Grade 129 grain.

Strongly considering .308 or 6.5 PRC or 6.8 Western. Leaning towards .308 easy to find ammo lil cheaper to feed.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back