An interesting site on Islam

Well CH, I can tell you right away that this web site is full of crap. There are at least four different ways to view Muhammed and Islam. The B'Hai, Sunni, Shiite, and Druz all have a different view of Muhammed and Islam and the meanings of th Qu'ran, or Koran or Kohran.. I would tend to believe that this site is some type of instigative effort on behalf of some hate group. Look carefully before you accept anything as absolute was what this site preaches...

:cool:

And those four +++ different ways of loking at Islam are also the ways we are divy'ing up Iraq. So that Iraq will be a peaceful democratic nation, like all religous-based democracies :(

Here's a place to search the Koran's text for phrases of interest.
http://www.hti.umich.edu/k/koran/

Try "infedel" or some other things like that. I think the history of Islam is that Mohammed started it and had to battle and kill to do that. First, he moved from Mecca to Medina, then came back and conquerd Mecca over. Then, when he died it split. Some wanting to elect the new leader(Sunni), some wanting to have the new leadership be inherited(Shii). They had civil wars over it in Karbala. "The Battle of the Camel" since it was fought around the camel that the youngest surviving wife of Muhammed was riding. Its the first time a caliph led his army against another Muslim army.
from "Islam: The Straight Path, 3rd ed.p37-40, JL Esposito, Oxford Press, 1988.

Well, Tom, I went to your link and typed in "infidel" and got nothing. I typed in "martyr" and got one result - must not be a good search engine.

Danr - I said it was "interesting and controversial." I didn't say it was accurate. I am, I admit, totally unfamiliar with the Koran. Are the quotes and translations incorrect, then?

I must have had a different source last time I did this.
I searched this one on Christian just now. Here's some results of that:

The Dinner Table

[5.51] O you who believe! do not take the Jews and the Christians for friends; they are friends of each other; and whoever amongst you takes them for a friend, then surely he is one of them; surely Allah does not guide the unjust people.
[5.82] Certainly you will find the most violent of people in enmity for those who believe (to be) the Jews and those who are polytheists, and you will certainly find the nearest in friendship to those who believe (to be) those who say: We are Christians; this is because there are priests and monks among them and because they do not behave proudly.

The Immunity
[9.30] And the Jews say: Uzair is the son of Allah; and the Christians say: The Messiah is the son of Allah; these are the words of their mouths; they imitate the saying of those who disbelieved before; may Allah destroy them; how they are turned away!

I'm not an authority on the Koran.. I have studied Islam and generally find the teachings to be not much different than Christianity. The basic precepts of kindness, honesty, faithfulness, fairness, and devotion to God and family.

The majority of the text that falls outside of the Bible is a continuation of the migration of faith. There are some passages that talk of war, but mostly in the same tone as Revelations talks about Armigeddon. The war between good and evil, between right and wrong, between the faithful and the servants of the Other One. If you think about it, that battle could be considered Jihad in the text that is presented in the Koran. So if you take it out of context, you could probably make it say about anything you want to..

Just some thoughts....

:cool:

What does the Koran teach about non-Islams?

If they repent and take to prayer and pay the alms-tax, let them go their way. Allah is forgiving and merciful.
Sura 9:4

Do not say that those who were slain in the cause of Allah are dead; they are alive, although you are not aware of them.
Sura 2:151

Kill them wherever you find them. Drive them out of the places from which they drove you. Idolatry is worse than carnage. But do not fight them within the precincts of the Holy Mosque unless they attack you there;
Sura 2:190

Believers, why is it that when it is said to you "March in the cause of Allah" you linger slothfully in the land? Are you content with that life in preference to the life to come? Few indeed are the blessings of this life, compared to those of the life to come.
Sura 9:38

Whether unarmed or well equipped, march on and fight for the cause of Allah with your wealth and your persons.
Sura 9:41

I thought Allah, the kind and merciful one, is only that for people of the Islamic faith. Didn't Mohammed fight and kill others? Jesus did not.

Did you study that danr55? Got any comments on that? What do you mean you studied Islam?

What does the Koran teach about non-Islams?

If they repent and take to prayer and pay the alms-tax, let them go their way. Allah is forgiving and merciful.
Sura 9:4

Do not say that those who were slain in the cause of Allah are dead; they are alive, although you are not aware of them.
Sura 2:151

Kill them wherever you find them. Drive them out of the places from which they drove you. Idolatry is worse than carnage. But do not fight them within the precincts of the Holy Mosque unless they attack you there;
Sura 2:190

Believers, why is it that when it is said to you "March in the cause of Allah" you linger slothfully in the land? Are you content with that life in preference to the life to come? Few indeed are the blessings of this life, compared to those of the life to come.
Sura 9:38

Whether unarmed or well equipped, march on and fight for the cause of Allah with your wealth and your persons.
Sura 9:41

I thought Allah, the kind and merciful one, is only that for people of the Islamic faith. Didn't Mohammed fight and kill others? Jesus did not.

Did you study that danr55? Got any comments on that? What do you mean you studied Islam?

Cast my vote beside Delw's......I say this is WAY too much time and energy being wasted on ......well, .....just cast my vote besides delw's and call it good.......

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back