An accurate 270 load

Rooster52

I have been trying different loads for my Browning 270 Winchester and this is the best I have found,thought I would share.
140 nosler accubond over 58 grains of Accurate Magnum Rifle Powder{ 3100}.I bought this powder at agarage sale ,8 pound container that hadnever been opened.Probably 20 years old. Shoots great though ! I do not know the FPS but it is fast enough.Shot 5/8 inch groups today with this load.

My 270 prefers 130 Nosler BT's and AB's, tried 150 grainers but had uninspiring results. Never tried 140's, but may have to now.

Sounds like you have it dialed in pretty darn good! I load for a buddy and he shoots 130 gr. Partitions or Accubonds over 59 grs of H4831SC using Federal Magnum primers.

My 270 prefers 130 Nosler BT's and AB's, tried 150 grainers but had uninspiring results. Never tried 140's, but may have to now.

Did you load the 150s with RL26? I've seen some folks list some impressive speeds with it.

Magpro has given me some impressive speeds with the 140 grain Accubonds in a 22" barrel.

RL 26 is on my radar and will try it over the winter with 150 hornady sst's.Some are getting very high muzzle velocities with this combo.I believe John Barsness reported just about 3100 out of a 22" tube..I understand it is easy to get 3000 fps+ with consistent accuracy.We will see...

I'm currently running 130 accubonds with 54.5 grs of H4350. But I'm not getting 5/8" groups. I may have to try that out.

Do you guys running 130 accubonds have trouble with blood shot meat? I have my son's rifle loaded with them reaching 3,000 mv. He's destroying a lot of meat with each kill. I was going to slow down the load using 140 ABs.

Not too bad on lost meat so far, but I've only had one elk shot under that recipe. I'm a touch slower at 2,940.

You don't ruin meat if you don't shoot where the meat is. That said, I load 140's in my kids .270. mtmuley

58 grains of Accurate 3100 and 140 Accubond for my 270. Never any concern about performance.

You don't ruin meat if you don't shoot where the meat is. That said, I load 140's in my kids .270. mtmuley

That's not necessarily true. He shot his antelope in the pocket behind the shoulder. We lost most of the adjacent shoulder to blood shot.

I just got some RL26 to try in my 270. I've also read about the great results John Barsness and others are getting with 150 grain bullets. I don't have any 150's but I have some 140 grain Barnes TSX bullets that I'm going to try with the RL26. The only data I've seen for 140 grain bullets was Berger data, and they got nearly 3200 feet per second, but that's with a 26 inch barrel. I'll be happy if I can get 3,000 fps with the Barnes bullets.

58.0 gr of H4831 under a 140gr Accubond will do this all day long in my rifle
20170129_110420.jpg
Speed is about 2925-2950fps

Don't underestimate budget guns in the right hands. This group was out of a stock Ruger American with a Nikon Prostaff 3-9 BDC

My .270 win likes 59grs. of IMR 7828 with almost any 130gr projectile. Comes out of the 22" tube at about 2970 fps. It's amazing, the gun will shoot almost any brand of bullet pretty well. The one it doesn't like is Speer. I like to use Nosler Accubond for deer and elk and then I use Sierra Pro Hunter or Hornady Interlock for antelope.
Anybody else use IMR 7828?

I haven't tried 7828 but I've read of some guys using it and having good luck. It's a pretty slow powder. I guess H1000 can work well also but I haven't tried it either. I've always used the exact same load as okie. 58 grains of H4831. Used to shoot 150 grain ballistic tips but now I'm using 140 grain Berger VLD's and 140 grain Accubonds. My Browning A bolt shoots either one in nice tight groups just like the group okie posted. My velocity is 2,850 fps.

Hunter, have you played with the seating depth much?

I never had to mess around with adjusting seating depth for my 270. That rifle just isn't picky and shoots just about anything I've loaded for it. With the exception of the Barnes bullets. It's been probably close to 15 years since I tried working up a load with them, but I was getting a lot of 1 1/2 inch groups. Finally got it tightened up to right at 1 inch and left it at that. Back then I didn't know about adjusting seating depth for better accuracy, I only changed the powder charge. But like I said I've got that Reloder 26 to try now and my first experiment will be with the Barnes 140 grain tsx, and I now know seating depth can make a big difference, so hopefully I can get both speed and tight groups with the Barnes. Need a good elk load this year.

Back