Ammo Shortages

jlmatthew

Just curious how others think about ammo shortages concerning hunting ammo. I was looking at the shelves and the number of new boutique ammo in unreal. 28 Nosler, 6.5 PRC, 280 AI, and so on and so on....

Used to be 30/06, 270, 308, 7mm Rem Mag & 300 Win Mag and that was about it for the most part for hunting calibers

Just something I was thinking about at the store and wondered what everyone else?

I was in a couple stores yesterday just to check things out...3 stores had plenty 308, 223, 7 Mag, 300WSM, 300WinMag, 300PRC, 50BMG, 22LR, lead shot, steel shot, handful of powders (no primers) and some brass. Nothing huge for variety but if you needed to go shooting or something for hunting there was something for many shooters.

I walked into one store just before it was technically open...I didn't realize they opened so late in the morning on Sunday. A rush of dudes were right behind me as if they were circling on an animal waiting for it to die.

I even noticed Browning has gun rebates right now. That's a pretty big deal.

As a .30-06 owner, it's been depressing finding ammo in stores (where I'd prefer to shop), especially when located nearby on the shelves is the incredible surplus of .308 🤣. But I got lucky one day (at opening like @Mthuntr said) and was able to gobble up my preferred ammo at it was being stocked

I'm a 30/06 shooter myself. Luckily I haven't had a problem finding ammo that my rifle likes. Buy it direct from the manufacturer cheaper than I can find it in stores.

I was shooting Nosler Ammo (Trophy Grade Accubonds 180 grain), but they jacked the price up to ridiculous levels and never have it in stock. Again makes me think that all these boutique calibers they are producing is part of the problem

Got a nice box of goodies today… At least I’m set for a little while in this caliber. There might be more, I thought it was a decent deal, given the times. PM me and I’ll check. Hint…. they were on a certain website that usually means you are getting gouged. So maybe I got only a little gouged this time just to ensure I had a ready supply. 😂 No telling if its any good, but, tell ya what, still gotta be better than nothing.

Attachments

• DF4E891E-25B9-41D4-9630-8D7B27D9A2E5.jpeg
    DF4E891E-25B9-41D4-9630-8D7B27D9A2E5.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 34
Last edited:
I got a 6.5 PRC in Dec. still haven't put a scope on it yet. I have everything but the brass to reload or at some point I will find a few boxes. Was thinking it would be a great wolf gun but so far it is great at collecting dust.

We were in Dick's in Nampa this morning and was pleasantly surprised at the selection of rifle ammo on the shelves. (y)

I am starting to see Barnes, but it is the super common cartridges (ie 30/06). I am waiting to see 7-08 and haven't seen that locally at all. I can be patient and I am not out, but I that is what i look for.

Except Barnes. Barnes seems to be really slow getting back to normal.
My local shop actually has gotten some in the last couple weeks. Some folks here still refuse to spend that so it sits a little longer. ( it’s not any more expensive than other premium ammo but more than corelokts or blue box)

Just went to my local chain store and they had Barnes in 308, 270, 30/06 and that was about it. Overall they had a lot of 308. A ton of it. But not a single box of 7-08.

In SoCal, I've been to a couple stores that sell ammo over the last month, and a few that specialize in factory ammo sales only. Lot's of .223, 5.56, 308, 6.5 manbun 300 blackout and all the handgun stuff anyone could want. In 270win, the have Federal blue box 130 and 150, and Sierra TGK 140, and Win grey box with copper bullets. Nothing in 35whelen (although 1 store had 180 Barnes). I did notice a lack of 7rem mag, 280rem, 300win, 30'06, 7-08, 25'06, 300wby, .338 anything. Complete lack of Remington yellow/green box in anything. Looked pretty slim for local availability of anything hunting. I had to resort to ordering stuff online and shipping, but that was a scavenger hunt too.

Just went to my local chain store and they had Barnes in 308, 270, 30/06 and that was about it. Overall they had a lot of 308. A ton of it. But not a single box of 7-08.
Same here, looking for 7mm-08

Most of the stores around Bozeman have .243, .270, ‘06, 300wm, 7RM, creedmoor

At least it’s on a positive trend

I've considered getting over myself and buying a 308 as well. I just can't get myself to do it

Back