MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Ammo remains scarce

Rooster52

Arround us here in Michigan,the stores are still having problems getting and keeping ammo on there shelf.Reloading supplies are hit and miss also.Most that I have talked to say they thought things would be better by now but it has not happened yet.Some local stores say they have not seen any 22 rimfire in a couple of months.Walmart gets small amounts in every week but they have a line of people there to buy them.They have started changing the times they put ammo on the shelf to avoid crowds.
Does not look like it is going to change any time soon.

If people would quit stockpiling 22LR I think a lot of that problem would be resolved...maybe the price would come down a bit because I'm not going to pay $20 for 333 rounds when only a few years ago 550rds was $10.

I ALMOST posted a ranting thread about this subject, so now I'll get it off my chest. I ordered some .243 ammo from Cabelas last JULY.... still I get the monthly email summary from them with a new expected arrival date. It started as end of August 2013, now April 30 2014!!!!!!! holy Shi$! I'm just hoping to get it before i go antelope hunting in October.....

ScottP, not sure where you are in CO but have you checked Gander,BPS and Sportmens?

Not sure who's stockpiling 22lr. I bought a couple bricks last month at cabela's for around 10 bucks and there was plenty on the shelf.

ScottP, not sure where you are in CO but have you checked Gander,BPS and Sportmens?

I live in the middle of nowhere pretty much. I like shooting (and what I'm zeroed for) Hornady superformance 80gr GMX for goats... Its not to be had from any major online retailers. In fact, the only lead-free ammo I could find anywhere was a box of Remington copper solid 80gr from Midway. I was able to score 2 boxes of cheap stuff for plinking back in December.

I am fortunate to live and work next to 2 sporting goods stores. On my way home from work I usually swing in and check out supplies. Like most things it just takes patience to get what you need. I picked up a brick of .22 last week and managed to find some 190gr ABLR no too long ago also. So far the only thing that has been eluding me is H1000. When you don't have the luxury to swing into these places regularly it can make finding ammo and components a real pain as certain supplies usually sell out quick. Maybe Montana is different than other states too.

22l is next to impossible to get around these parts and if you happen to find some they will not sell you more than a 100 rounds. Now throw in we can't buy ammo mail order any more here You better stockpile whatever you might need......:cool:

Scottp - You are not alone in trying to get Hornady ammo. What I was told by an insider is the hunting ammo is a cyclical product. They will start producing and shipping in May and, as long as people don't start hoarding, it should be available until September. I've switched to HSM ammo. A little more expensive than Hornady but the quality is something else. My go to rifle is a .270 and I bought the HSM ammo in 130 gr Berger VLD Hunting. I have yet to get out and run some down the tube. I put 4 boxes of Hornady ammo through a comparator and I got .023 variance on overall length. I ran two boxes of HSM and got .003 variance and if I took out one cartridge, it was .002. That's pretty spectacular. HSM does have an 85 gr Barnes TSX or an 87 gr Berger VLD Hunting load in .243. Good luck finding ammo and good luck on your hunt.

Scottp - You are not alone in trying to get Hornady ammo. What I was told by an insider is the hunting ammo is a cyclical product. They will start producing and shipping in May and, as long as people don't start hoarding, it should be available until September. I've switched to HSM ammo. A little more expensive than Hornady but the quality is something else. My go to rifle is a .270 and I bought the HSM ammo in 130 gr Berger VLD Hunting. I have yet to get out and run some down the tube. I put 4 boxes of Hornady ammo through a comparator and I got .023 variance on overall length. I ran two boxes of HSM and got .003 variance and if I took out one cartridge, it was .002. That's pretty spectacular. HSM does have an 85 gr Barnes TSX or an 87 gr Berger VLD Hunting load in .243. Good luck finding ammo and good luck on your hunt.

thanks sagebrush - I'll see if I can find HSM. I have had great luck with TSX bullets in 165gr for deer and elk.

still cant get my normal ammo at bi-mart out west here,,goin on 2 plus years,they have some stuff but probly half of what they normally used to stock.

Sportmans here in Colorado Springs is slowing getting there rifle inventory up. Still hit and miss but much better than it has been. Can't find any 9mm tho Except an occasional very high end box

Yeah the ammo thing is a bunch of BS. Our Walmart and shiptons gets a decent amount each week but someone always posts on Facebook when it's available but the same people are buying it every week. The hoarders and price gougers ($50-75 per 550 brick) are really pissing me off. It should be illegal, like scalping tickets. Manufacturers are producing ammo at the same or more capacity but the people's mentality is what is prolonging this mess.

Not sure who's stockpiling 22lr. I bought a couple bricks last month at cabela's for around 10 bucks and there was plenty on the shelf.

Cabela's in GJ won't let you buy more than 1 brick at a time. Doesn't stay on the shelf.

I think the mid term election and 2016 election may ease the ammo shortage. If the vote goes right !!!!!!!

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MontanaPete59102
Back