Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

American Prairie Reserve - Nothing new

“The Texas A&M study that was published in the journal Scientific Reports found that all bison in North America carry small portions of DNA of domestic cattle. This updates previous findings from 20 years ago that revealed that only a few herds existed that were thought to be free of bovine ingression, including the herd in Yellowstone National Park.”

“The new findings from the recent study could change management practices within the bison community and actually make conservation efforts of closed bison herds like Custer State Park easier since they will no longer need to be isolated from other herds. For private producers the study provides information to structure genetically management practices to include more genetic diversity.

“It’s early enough in the discussion that I’m not sure where it’s going to go between conservation groups and the private producers, but, but it definitely may change some things as far as management objectives,” said Kremer. “There’s still some questions out there. As far as, we know, cattle and bison are actually pretty closely related.”
The study suggests that the well-intentioned efforts of ranchers in the 1800’s wanting to preserve the iconic animal may have left a complicated genetic legacy through intentional or unintentional cross breeding between the two species. Although without their efforts it is possible the bison would have been extinct.”

I think it’s time to interrupt all you hosers trying to convince Gila of something he ain’t willing to be convinced of with evidence, logic, and reasoning, and interject something we can all agree on:

It’s a damn great song.
1. coconuts are gross
2. i hate rain, that's why I live in the desert
3. I'm all about the yogas
4. half-assed idea are my specialty, not sure what that has with having a brain
5. I have kids. I'm asleep by 10:30. Who has time for staying up until midnight just to do the hoobidy-doobidy?
6. Ugh, sand everywhere.
7. Got one, not looking.

1. coconuts are gross
2. i hate rain, that's why I live in the desert
3. I'm all about the yogas
4. half-assed idea are my specialty, not sure what that has with having a brain
5. I have kids. I'm asleep by 10:30. Who has time for staying up until midnight just to do the hoobidy-doobidy?
6. Ugh, sand everywhere.
7. Got one, not looking.

And the daiquiri is the superior beach cocktail.

Good song though.

I'm getting a little confused here. Are they trying to raise pure DNA bison or black footed ferrets?

As far as pricing this was the nearest decent size parcel that I could find for sale - https://www.land.com/property/9296.28-acres-in-Garfield-County-Montana/12443347/

7,231 deeded acres with an asking price of $12,000,000. That's $1,660 per acre.

Something tells me they aren't planning on making a cattle operation pay for that $12m price tag.

Found another closer for a much more economical $1,183 per deeded acre, only $6,500,000 - https://www.land.com/property/12000-acres-in-Phillips-County-Montana/12848110/ Half price, I think we should pool some of our funds together and try to make a go of a cattle ranch at that price.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back