Caribou Gear

Am I wasting my time?

Even with the left over tags in MT, the public land archery elk hunt here is far better than some of the hunts I have burned points on in other states; both rifle and archery elk hunts in other states. And I am not talking about MT areas where you need a helicopter. If non-residents knew how good some of our public land archery hunts are, compared to states where they are waiting years for a tag, Montana would not have any left over elk tags.

According to the most recent Field and Stream all you have to do is step out your front door in Bozeman to score a 6x7. :rolleyes:

For me the experience is the biggest draw to hunting. If you go out during bow season, you will have less hunters, Elk in the rut (fired up and moving) and will have a better chance of seeing and being around animals. For me that is worth it even if my chances are less for grounding animals.

What he said.

Devon,
My first Elk was an Archery bull. My best deer is an archery kill. My only "book" elk is an archery kill. These were all hunts I was able to do because they were Archery only tags and offered me an opportunity I would not have had with a rifle. (timing and tag availability)

So my point is that Archery opened up some great opportunities for me to pursue big game hunting.

Agree with Carrion Carrier, most units in Colorado have about 8-12% archery success. Don't know about Montana. Bulls would be even lower success. It usually has taken me about 5-12 days of hard hunting to get a "shot" and a lot of things can go wrong when archery hunting. With a rifle and you have the time the odds increase, like at least 9-10 days. Coming from out of the country I would try to draw a 1st season either-sex tag, come out 4-5 days prior and long-distance scout prior to season and see where all the other camps are located and locate some elk.
If you have already rifle hunted in Montana it might be best to just try the same areas again or move slightly to find some bulls. Jumping areas was my biggest problem. From my three previous times hunting in Montana I have seen way less hunters than Colorado after opening weekend. Not getting an elk every season is a big part of elk hunting too.

Many thanks for the advice chaps.
I can see that Colorado (i have visited there on a fishing vacation) is rated highly, but Montana is where my heart.
I have made some great contacts in MT and one in particular has been a huge help.
I am not bothered about a trophy bull, but just to see one would be a bonus, being in MT during Autumn, listening to a bugling elk would make day.
The only worry i would have during archery season are the bears, last time i had my 30-06, but all i would have next time would be a pointy thing and bear spray.
I would spend some time where i went last time (popular with Mr Grizz) as i got to know the lay of the land fairly well, but i have had some other pointers which i will explore, you are a very helpful group on this forum.
Should i get the OK from my wife i will be coming over on my own next time for various reasons.
So i will complete the archery course, look at buying a compound bow and then completing the archery qualification in the UK which is actually recognized in Montana.
I wonder if i can get this done in time for a visit next year?!
Cheers
Richard

I have to agree with Randys response. The best time to hunt is bow season, during the rut. Weather is more coroporate, and the animals are much more plentiful as you can hear them. Hunting is hunting but this is the most enjoyable time of year to hunt and I think the most productive....just my opinion. Dont be afraid of a compound bow just cuz it aint accepted there. lots of advantages to a compound than a traditional recurve, but the recurve has its advantages also. Just think the compound has more overall. Again, My opinion, Joe. Good luck. hope to see some succesfull pics here

I wonder if i can get this done in time for a visit next year?!

If you're serious I would also buy some calls and start practicing, it takes a while to become proficient. You will get as much advice on types of calls as you will on places to go hunt. Shoot me a pm if you want I'll tell you what I use.

bow season is hard to beat. Weather is awesome and not freezing or snowbound, bugling.... Hunting my go to local OTC area this year again in Colorado that I hit when I do not draw a limited tag elsewhere. Elk all over and still hunting regularly produces elk encounters. A ton of elk, albeit not trophy quality but a ton of fun. This same area is overrun with hunters come rifle season.

have arrowed a bull and a bear so far this year and photographed a lot of cow elk at 8-25 yards that I could also arrow if I choose to with a cow-only tag. Makes my hunting partners nuts when I bring in photos of cows at point blank range when they have ot filled any tags yet :D All about the experience to me and bow season can afford opportunity to create close in opportunities on elk and other animals with minimal interruption from other hunters.

that said, success stats always? show gun hunters with greater rates of 'success' than bow hunters.
AS you are learning archery is simply a fun activity. Keep learning it as a hobby and you can choose you weapon each year as you plan your hunt rather than pigeon-hole yourself into gun only.

Sounds like you need to get active about lobbying the idiot lawmakers that think a bowhunting ban in UK is a reasonable idea. What's next a fracking ban? Oh wait, UK has that too.

This boar is in my freezer at present.:hump: Took photos and video at 20-30 yards over 15 minutes before dropping the string. When bowhunting just seem to more of those sorts of opportunities to be in close and enjoy that sort of experience. At least that is how it works out for me. I hunt bow and gun seasons, with bow being the weapon choice more often than not.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
That is a great looking bear, Kirby. I need to look into a CO bear hunt some day. It is already closed by the time I arrive for the November elk hunts.

Thanks Fin. 1st bear for me not counting the cluster F#@$! bear me my brother (bows) and uncle (pistol)
gang tackled in ugly fashion when in high school. That was a long time and a different hunting ethic ago...

Thanks Fin. 1st bear for me not counting the cluster F#@$! bear me my brother (bows) and uncle (pistol)
gang tackled in ugly fashion when in high school. That was a long time and a different hunting ethic ago...

That's a campfire story waiting to be told. Livens up the family reunion I bet.

Many thanks for the advice chaps.
I can see that Colorado (i have visited there on a fishing vacation) is rated highly, but Montana is where my heart.

I understand completely. Sounds like you are after more than just punching a tag. Hard to have a bad day hunting in MT. Best of luck to you.

Another vote for archery elk hunting in Montana. Nothing quite like having a riled up bull tearing up a tree 40 yards away.

what DDD said DEFINES it completely !! "IF" you want "the hunt of a lifetime" go to the bow OR do a back country rifle hunt and those can surely be found in Colorado but you will be much better off to spend some TIME and EFFORT getting some preference points and PAY YOUR DUES so to speak - If you just want to eat some elk meat get a cow tag, it is still a "hunt" ! A big bull may be the most coveted trophy in hunting, surely in the top 3 list so don't think it is a walk in the park cause it ain't, even with a rifle (unless you're one of those "long range" GEEKS .......... but that is "shooting" and NOT "hunting"

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
believeinyourself
Back