Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Alps Mountaineering/Outdoorz Warranty

thomas89

About 6 years ago I purchased an Alps Outdoors Traverse EPS pack. It's got an expandable "meat pocket" for hauling out quarters which I like, and at about $175, was within my budget for a new pack. Anyways last year, several antelope and an elk later, one of the bottom buckles snapped off. Not a big deal, but wasn't able to cinch down one side of the backpack so I figured what the heck might as well see what their warranty was like. Email sent this morning and had a reply in a few minutes that a new buckle was on the way.

Purchased an Alps Outdoors Commander frame with the bag (~$150), and after several backpack trips and hunting trips, the seam along the bottom side of the main compartment started to give way. Thought what the heck and sent in a warranty claim for that. Same prompt response this morning, new bag was in the mail.

Anyways, it's no high dollar gear, and couldn't hang with some of the stuff the rest of you use, but it's still nice to have a company stand by their products and warranty. I'm sure some brands would have found excuses for "oh it was overloaded" or "you cinched it too tight", but no questions asked, sending new stuff my way. Just a little credit where credit's due.

I had the Commander fame and bag for a few years and was very happy with the service (I was a tester for them and got a GREAT deal) and the FUNCTIONALITY of the pack. The things that led me to MR when I could afford it was the weight, comfort and noise differences. That being said, for the money, the Alps folks are good people!!

That's great to hear. I just purchased a Commander Lite frame and pack for my 11 yo son. I'm considering the Commander X for myself. Like you said, it's not super high dollar gear, but it should get the job done, and if they warranty their stuff like you say, I'm all in.

My dad picked up an alps outdoorz commander pack a few years ago from sportsmans for pretty cheap. Its not the most comfortable pack in the world but when your talking really heavy loads, it does well. Whoever has the alps is the one that's going to be carrying the heavier load. I have hauled >100 lbs on that frame for a few miles at a time more than once and its by no means comfortable, but it makes it bearable. I would like to find a deal on a frame for myself just to pack.

Great to know! I have the meat pack external frame and it works great! For the price - that's impressive warranty.

Thanks

I had the Commander fame and bag for a few years and was very happy with the service (I was a tester for them and got a GREAT deal) and the FUNCTIONALITY of the pack. The things that led me to MR when I could afford it was the weight, comfort and noise differences. That being said, for the money, the Alps folks are good people!!
It is a pretty “jingly” pack. I need to pull the trigger on a top of the line pack and just be done with it someday.

That's great to hear. I just purchased a Commander Lite frame and pack for my 11 yo son. I'm considering the Commander X for myself. Like you said, it's not super high dollar gear, but it should get the job done, and if they warranty their stuff like you say, I'm all in.

Love the look of their new “X” line. As soon as this EPS pack wears out, I’ll look to upgrade to the Hybrid X. That Commander X and Lite is a good looking pack IMO!
My dad picked up an alps outdoorz commander pack a few years ago from sportsmans for pretty cheap. Its not the most comfortable pack in the world but when your talking really heavy loads, it does well. Whoever has the alps is the one that's going to be carrying the heavier load. I have hauled >100 lbs on that frame for a few miles at a time more than once and its by no means comfortable, but it makes it bearable. I would like to find a deal on a frame for myself just to pack.
I’ve thrown 3 bags of sands on this sucker and it handles the load way better than me. It’s definitely not “fun” but good to know what it’s capable of in a pinch.

I’ve been using the MR Metcalf for the last 3 years, but before getting that I used an Alps outdoors z eps traverse pack. I used that thing to death for years and it is still holding up and I still bring it with me on hunting trips as a back up in case something happens to my my MR. Value for the $, Alps packs are really hard to beat.

I don't have any of their packs or tents, but I've got their cot, 2 different chairs & their sleeping pads for the big tent. They seem like a good quality for the value company. Good to hear on their customer support.

It is a pretty “jingly” pack. I need to pull the trigger on a top of the line pack and just be done with it someday.

Love the look of their new “X” line. As soon as this EPS pack wears out, I’ll look to upgrade to the Hybrid X. That Commander X and Lite is a good looking pack IMO!

I’ve thrown 3 bags of sands on this sucker and it handles the load way better than me. It’s definitely not “fun” but good to know what it’s capable of in a pinch.
What is it about the Hybrid that draws you to it over the Commander X or Trophy X? I'm just wondering because I have not ever owned an internal frame pack. My current pack is external frame. I've heard that the internal frame is supposed to be more comfortable, less bulky, and a little lighter. Is there something in particular that you plike about the hybrid?

What is it about the Hybrid that draws you to it over the Commander X or Trophy X? I'm just wondering because I have not ever owned an internal frame pack. My current pack is external frame. I've heard that the internal frame is supposed to be more comfortable, less bulky, and a little lighter. Is there something in particular that you plike about the hybrid?

It’s been a while since I really researched the various options with each. But I already have the original Commander for a big backpack hunting pack as the X model wasn’t available yet. I like the option for a day pack to be able to comfortably haul a quarter out, if nothing else to get me back to the truck to get a dedicated frame pack.

The current Traverse pack I have let’s me put quarters into a slot closest to my back for carrying out. This is semi-functional but I believe the Hybrid has a better system for letting you really secure the load and “fit” it better. I’ve never played with different packs but my understanding is that the Alps line runs a bit heavier. At the time it was a “do I want a lighter pack AND lighter wallet or can I handle a heavier pack and heavier wallet?” Decision. It works for me for the time being.

Ultimately will come down to how much free cash I have at the time.

Good to know! I have a Traverse X pack from them that I like quite a bit. I think I would like to be able to carry quarters closer to my back however. Seems to be the winning point of your EPS! Haven’t had an issue with mine yet, but I have no plans to get rid of it anytime soon.

I had great service when I chewed up a meat shelf buckle off my Commander in the washing machine. Replaced no questions asked.

About 6 years ago I purchased an Alps Outdoors Traverse EPS pack. It's got an expandable "meat pocket" for hauling out quarters which I like, and at about $175, was within my budget for a new pack. Anyways last year, several antelope and an elk later, one of the bottom buckles snapped off. Not a big deal, but wasn't able to cinch down one side of the backpack so I figured what the heck might as well see what their warranty was like. Email sent this morning and had a reply in a few minutes that a new buckle was on the way.

Purchased an Alps Outdoors Commander frame with the bag (~$150), and after several backpack trips and hunting trips, the seam along the bottom side of the main compartment started to give way. Thought what the heck and sent in a warranty claim for that. Same prompt response this morning, new bag was in the mail.

Anyways, it's no high dollar gear, and couldn't hang with some of the stuff the rest of you use, but it's still nice to have a company stand by their products and warranty. I'm sure some brands would have found excuses for "oh it was overloaded" or "you cinched it too tight", but no questions asked, sending new stuff my way. Just a little credit where credit's due.
Good to know, thank you! 🤙🏽 My 0* bag is Alpz and I love it! Had it a few years, happy to hear that zipper is likely covered!

Love my sleeping pads by Alps! 32 wide and 6'6" long. Super comfy nights rest. Obviously not anything you'd back pack but great for truck camping on our weekend fishing trips.

Good information gentlemen, thank you.

My 11 year old grandson asked me to teach him how to shoot, hunt and be comfortable in the outdoors. I need to get him a pack and at just 5' tall, I need to get him something that will fit while not breaking me financially. A MR Metcalf like mine is way too big and expensive for a beginner. I will take him in to Sportsman's and get one that'll fit him. Hopefully, I will show him how to break down an elk. If he can even just haul the back straps, it will be a great help to me and a great learning experience for him.

Thanks so much for your info!

Good information gentlemen, thank you.

My 11 year old grandson asked me to teach him how to shoot, hunt and be comfortable in the outdoors. I need to get him a pack and at just 5' tall, I need to get him something that will fit while not breaking me financially. A MR Metcalf like mine is way too big and expensive for a beginner. I will take him in to Sportsman's and get one that'll fit him. Hopefully, I will show him how to break down an elk. If he can even just haul the back straps, it will be a great help to me and a great learning experience for him.

Thanks so much for your info!
I’m in the same boat. I have a tall 7 year old, that constantly wants to hunt with me. Has his own 8x42 vortex binos and camo but can’t find a backpack that’ll fit him and still hold his gear! Let alone a little meat! If you find some good youth selections, post them up!

Alps Outdoors Traverse EPS pack - I had the bottom tear out right where the stays meet the bottom seam. They sent me a brand new one, but I sold it cuz I don't think the design was any different on the new one and expected the same result. Hopefully the guy that bought it didn't carry 60 lbs of meat in it and it is still working for him.

Alps Outdoors Traverse EPS pack - I had the bottom tear out right where the stays meet the bottom seam. They sent me a brand new one, but I sold it cuz I don't think the design was any different on the new one and expected the same result. Hopefully the guy that bought it didn't carry 60 lbs of meat in it and it is still working for him.

That sucks. Completely understand your loss of confidence.

I don’t know how much it weighed for an accurate comparison to your situation, but I had 2 antelope does quartered + back straps and tenderloins, and carried them out for a mile. Wasn’t fun but it worked. Only issue was the buckle to cinch the pack down broke. Didn’t really impact the weight, it’s going to suck either way.

I recently purchased a CL frame and it's really nice. I think I can pack a lot of meat out with it. I got my son the Pursuit, he offered to pack with me and I got him the non-camo version.

I got a rippin' deal on the frame, so bought the bag for $99, and couldn't be happier. It is really good quality and I plan to build up to being able to carry it for 4 miles with 100-125 lbs.

Unless you are a very large man, 100 lbs in a pack for any significant amount of time is likely to cause irreparable spinal injury. I'm sure a bunch of Army vets will reply that they humped more than that all the time. I'm sure almost every one of them has back problems too.

Just take it easy and do reasonable amounts of weight and distance. Also, I would be shocked if any ALPZ product can handle that kind of weight for any duration.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back