Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Alpine Happiness

My first spring hike is a windblown area in the Alaska Range:
MTHealy.jpg
Later in June, my wife and I have a tradition to hike
the Pinnell Mountain Trail which is 27 mile trail between Eagle Summit and 12-Mile Summit.
white_mountains2.jpg
Another local hike I usually do solo is the 15 mile Granite Tors loop trail.
GraniteTors.jpg

Later in the summer after major snowmelt, I like to hike various places in the Alaska Range:
FEET_AKRange.jpg

Outdoor Writer passed away yesterday. Maybe sitting in the alpine somewhere today.
He posted a lot of really cool photos over on the 'slide in the last few years. He'd obviously had a lot of really good experiences in the outdoors.
He also posted a menu for a 4 day Javelina trip one time. He must have loved to cook in camp, as it was 3 full blown gourmet meals every day. He sounded like a fun guy to hang out with.

1662481953630.png
From our family backpacking trip a couple of weeks ago. You can basically see all of the WA crest from here.
Red is the Enchantments (most popular alpine area in WA), with the red dot representing Mt. Stuart (9,209')
Black dot to the right of the Enchantments is Mt. Adams (12,287') approximate 33 miles from the OR border.
Blue line is Mt Rainier (14,409')
Green line is Mt. Daniel (7,884'), the most heavily glaciated non-volcano in the Alpine Lakes Wilderness (and central WA in general).
Yellow Line is Mt. Baker (10,420') approximately 15 miles from Canada.
Cyan line is Glacier Peak (10,433'), the next on my hit list.

View attachment 238046
From our family backpacking trip a couple of weeks ago. You can basically see all of the WA crest from here.
Red is the Enchantments (most popular alpine area in WA), with the red dot representing Mt. Stuart (9,209')
Black dot to the right of the Enchantments is Mt. Adams (12,287') approximate 33 miles from the OR border.
Blue line is Mt Rainier (14,409')
Green line is Mt. Daniel (7,884'), the most heavily glaciated non-volcano in the Alpine Lakes Wilderness (and central WA in general).
Yellow Line is Mt. Baker (10,420') approximately 15 miles from Canada.
Cyan line is Glacier Peak (10,433'), the next on my hit list.
I've spent the summer doing many activities i missed out on last year. Also been busier than heck. Pretty annoyed I didn't get any solo climbs in...might be the first year in my adult life I didn't.
But I have plans for next year to get back on track.
Can't do it all sometimes.

I've spent the summer doing many activities i missed out on last year. Also been busier than heck. Pretty annoyed I didn't get any solo climbs in...might be the first year in my adult life I didn't.
But I have plans for next year to get back on track.
Can't do it all sometimes.
I failed at the furthest two peaks in that pic above about three hrs after I took the pic, they represent the two highest peaks in this particular range. I didn't read up on either and discovered that it's fairly simply to get close to the summit, but very sketchy to get to it. I also had the dog in toe, and when he started to struggle, and I had to lift him from ledge to ledge, I decided that was probably pushing it a little too far.
1662485697601.png

There is a peak i have tried to summit from 3 directions over the years. I think I have it figured now but need two nights. Looks doable but sometimes you don't know until you get on the mountain itself.

This topic jumping to the front reminds me that summer was a total bust. Zero alpine lakes hiked - either new or old - compared to the usual 12-15. Didnt day hike the Beaten Path as I had planned. Spent next to no time in the Beartooths due to the floods and closures. My own dang fault since there are other ways in besides the main trailheads, but feeling a little sorry for myself nonetheless.

I did run the Headwaters Relay this year - which was somewhat in the mountains - with a real Motley Crew of miscreants. We may have finished 2nd to last as a team, but Ill bet we drank way more beer over 3 days than any other team.

B89B94B6-36D9-45A7-8B2D-8FEF451401D7.jpegE1D5B1ED-DEE5-419F-9D31-39DB45F2C660.jpegEF1893E7-9E66-43CF-A089-41636C687587.jpeg939D6FA6-68B0-43F2-B0FD-EADEC71549EC.jpeg9B9281BB-71A8-44C6-BDA0-5E336620864E.jpeg0BAF3F20-C026-4CDD-87DC-205A49461C44.jpeg

I failed at the furthest two peaks in that pic above about three hrs after I took the pic, they represent the two highest peaks in this particular range. I didn't read up on either and discovered that it's fairly simply to get close to the summit, but very sketchy to get to it. I also had the dog in toe, and when he started to struggle, and I had to lift him from ledge to ledge, I decided that was probably pushing it a little too far.
View attachment 238051
I love being in the mountains but I have zero interest in exposure like that.

worst summer ever. actually.

zero peaks summitted. zero nights backpacked. archery deer tag turned in.

next time i get my wife pregnant for the first time, buy a house for the first time, landscape a dirt yard by myself for the first time, get covid for the first time, and do a nursery for the first time, i won't do it all in the same 9 months. i guess this is what growing up is.

we managed to get near the alpine once. my pregnant wife was the only one who caught a fish. fish swallowed the hook hard and i had to kill it. i ate that 7" brookie for breakfast the next day. it was delish. it was a good outing.

IMG-9635.JPG

I love being in the mountains but I have zero interest in exposure like that.
You and me both. I hate it, truly hate it. Won't rock climb at all because of it. But I also feel like I have to keep pushing myself into those situations from time to time to keep that fear from controlling me. It might bite me one day, but there are worse places to die.

In the pic you quoted (my 2nd), I'm between the two tallest peaks (1st pic), having just failed on the one I photo'ed, and trying to get to the slightly taller one behind me. Since I failed to properly scout the summit line on the approach, when I stepped up onto that ledge and met a 1,500' drop off just in front of me, and a little overhanging 12' footer preventing me from further traversing the ridge, I panicked a bit and immediately sat down. It took ~5min to collect my composure before I could take that pic and take a short video, and cautiously retreat, on my butt, back down to safer terrain. I could have then made a summit push minutes later when I came across the obvious correct line, but decided I'd been sufficiently scared enough for the day, was out of water, and still have several hours of speed hiking to get back to camp.

This was a decent I made, rather stupidly, between those two pics above. I broke one of my trekking poles arresting one of my many slides...

1662495435063.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back