Caribou Gear Tarp

All Nat’l Forest Closed

There have periodically been widespread public land closures in nearly all western states due to fire danger at some point. I distinctly remember forest closures during hunting season growing up in Oregon some 30 years ago. Public land has been closed during some early hunting seasons in Montana since I’ve lived here due to fire danger. The implication that this is either new or somehow unprecedented seems exaggerated to me.
I don't disagree with what you're saying in general, but I don't recall a blanket closure for every NF in just one state.

My oldest drew J14, my other son has a D8. The J14 tag is late Nov. so there is some hope things will open up by then. However, I don't buy the 2 week closure. Last year it was the same and then every 2 weeks they extended it.

I’d be pretty shocked if it wasn’t open by the J14 season. Most NF last year that didn’t have a big burn area in them opened October.

For those who wonder how these decisions are made, a couple of examples of the type of plans in place. It is far from a willy-nilly, unilateral decision. Coordination Groups made up of officials from multiple agencies, state and local officials, local fire and emergency planners...lots of people are involved, and they review weather forecasts, fuels data, vegetation data, public usage data, resource availability and more, all of which are weighed against pre-established thresholds. I can't find links to some of the appendices, but you get the idea.

https://gacc.nifc.gov/oscc/ecc/lpcc...ency Closure Plan_2018_v2 Signed Digially.pdf

https://gacc.nifc.gov/nrcc/nrcg/restrictions_closures/areaplans/2017-19 Missoula Area R&C Plan.pdf

Note the authority to implement large-scale closures does not solely rest with any single agency. From the Montana Plan:

Area (Large-scale) Closures: The authority to implement large-scale closures lies with the Geographic Agency Administrators in the Northern Rockies Coordinating Group (as listed in Appendix B). Because of the disruption they cause, they are instituted only during extended periods of extreme fire danger and fire activity. Such closures have in the past included all lands managed by one or several agencies across the State of Montana. Largescale closures have required stationing National Guard troops at forest access road sites to enforce the closure.

For those who wonder how these decisions are made, a couple of examples of the type of plans in place. It is far from a willy-nilly, unilateral decision. Coordination Groups made up of officials from multiple agencies, state and local officials, local fire and emergency planners...lots of people are involved, and they review weather forecasts, fuels data, vegetation data, public usage data, resource availability and more, all of which are weighed against pre-established thresholds. I can't find links to some of the appendices, but you get the idea.

https://gacc.nifc.gov/oscc/ecc/lpcc/LOGISTICS/DISPATCH/FINAL_Fire Restriction and Emergency Closure Plan_2018_v2 Signed Digially.pdf

https://gacc.nifc.gov/nrcc/nrcg/restrictions_closures/areaplans/2017-19 Missoula Area R&C Plan.pdf

Note the authority to implement large-scale closures does not solely rest with any single agency. From the Montana Plan:
Thanks for the info and above links. The first is an example of a "stand alone" plan for the Los Padres Forest. My question is were the plans for each individual forest in the state followed by looking at the factors you listed or just a blanket closure because resources are thin?
I live and work in Nor Cal and I'm very familiar with the NFs up here. Like I said previously I don't disagree with a lot of what you are saying. My concern is a precedent being set for blanket closures when there are big differences in conditions throughout the state. I believe if the question of closing or not was up to the local managers we would not see 100% shut down. I think it is fair to say the fire situation is critical but also fair to say closing every forest is the "easy" way to deal with the situation.

Sounds like a partial solution to a problem that can't be fixed in simplistic fashion except by internet experts on public forums.
Just an internet discussion on a hunting forum, regarding a hunting issue by a professional who lives and works in the area. If you care to add any insight to the partial solution, I would appreciate the discussion. Short of that is merely a snarky, simplistic jab that apparently lowers yourself to our level of internet experts. I believe my point, as well as others getting flack on this is a statewide closure of ALL forests is about as simplistic of a "solution" as possible.

Just an internet discussion on a hunting forum, regarding a hunting issue by a professional who lives and works in the area. If you care to add any insight to the partial solution, I would appreciate the discussion. Short of that is merely a snarky, simplistic jab that apparently lowers yourself to our level of internet experts. I believe my point, as well as others getting flack on this is a statewide closure of ALL forests is about as simplistic of a "solution" as possible.
You work hard at trying not to understand. I didn't say it was the solution. Read it again.

You work hard at trying not to understand. I didn't say it was the solution. Read it again.
Please explain what indeed you said if you like, so I can understand without working too hard.
except by internet experts on public forums.
Both your replies appear as low key insults, but maybe you know best or maybe you should read it again

Sounds like a partial solution to a problem that can't be fixed in simplistic fashion except by internet experts on public forums.
I never said that I personally had a solution. Also, no sir, I am by no means an "internet expert" and never claimed to be. I am someone just like the people who are commenting on this thread who have interest in our forest lands. These public forums are a great place to voice all of our opinions as you have so eloquently shown. Your opinion and interest in this is just as valuable as mine or anyone else. Although, you might even disagree with that very premise. I have no way of knowing, but that too is/could be your opinion as well. Either way I'm not going to name call and demean. I will on the other hand address the topic of this thread.

I think it's safe to say that most California hunters are very weary of blanket closures across the state. No other western state by far has enacted closures to the extent that California has done the last two years. I do want to say and make clear that I definitely understand and respect legitimate fire closures that can cause imminent danger. Though, to close entire Forests that aren't burning is unnecessary and that doesn't seem to be policy in any of the other western states. I do talk with and am informed by local forest service law enforcement officials. They do not agree with the way it is being handled either. These closures do come from the state of California as they run the Districts.

There is no short term answer at this point. We are most definitely between a rock and a hard place. Anything that can and will produce positive results concerning California forests won't happen overnight, there needs to be long term solutions. It is my belief that for starters we need to look no further than our very own western state neighbors, and take a page or two from their playbook as far as forest management goes. Realistically that can't even happen until all the California red tape is cut. Sadly and unfortunately that isn't probably a reality either. So, frustratingly we as California hunters are now faced with bad decisions in the form of wrongful closures that are a product of many years of piss poor management.

These are my opinions on this issue and they are formed by actual long term USFS employees based in California.

Last edited:
Sure, but where do you think the money comes from to pay those government employees?

I don't want to make this a political debate. I'll just keep my fingers crossed that the NF will reopen on 9/17 so I can get out for my annual A Zone backpack hunt, hike my ass off, and get skunked like usual. :p
Just spent the long weekend hiking in triple digits every day. We dropped 1/3 for our hunting party. I should have dropped a second but by the time I confirmed it was legal, he disappeared in the brush and I never saw him again.

Just spent the long weekend hiking in triple digits every day. We dropped 1/3 for our hunting party. I should have dropped a second but by the time I confirmed it was legal, he disappeared in the brush and I never saw him again.
Glad you guys were able to capitalize! I tried to get creative and archery hunted a patch of BLM in another unit I drew this year. Unfortunately, it turned out to be a VERY popular trail and I was overrun with loud hikers and bikers by 6:15am.

I'm really crossing my fingers we get the forests open by the time my G13 anterless tag starts up in late OCT. I had to start my scout game from scratch.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back