MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Alberta Whitetail

bonedogg

Well, after a bunch of time hunting moose earlier this year, it was now time to flip the switch and start thinking whitetails. My brother in law has a spot/ Landowner in Northern Alberta that he had gained a friendship with so it was time to pack up the Arctic Fox travel trailer and make the 5 hr. trek to the hunting grounds. The first day was spent scouting for sign. We drove the roads looking for a place to concentrate our efforts, we had 6 quarters of permission lined up and were now trying to figure out where to start. The quarter we were staying on was the best one as it was attached to a huge swamp that had a lot of good ground around it. We set up a ground blind and snuck out as to not contaminate the area too much. The next day, my buddy and I sat in the blind to watch 13 does go by and then a little forkie came out and sniffed every doe to see what was up? nothing....he moved on after pestering them for a few minutes. The next day the same 13 does came by from the other direction and we knew something would be in tow at some point. 20 minutes later I spotted a buck trying to sneak by us on the other side of the fence, he couldn't help it and had to follow the does so I told my buddy to get ready as he was creeping up to the fence. I could see him nose up to it and then effortlessly jumped the fence and was moving across the line when my buddy made a well placed shot. The buck ran into the swamp with a bit of a limp so we were both sure he had made a good shot. Ten minutes later, we got out of the blind and went to see what came of his shot? 50 yds into the trail, there he was down for the count! Nice buck. The buck I shot was working some ground north of one of the quarters we had permission on, but he was heading south towards the quarter we did. I had my buddies drop me off on the north fence line and walked in maybe 50 yds to see if he was still coming. The bush was super thick and the opening I had for a shot was only a meager quad trail. I stood for about five minutes and had to put a glove on as my hands were getting cold. As I put on the second glove the buck was only 25 yrds behind me and he caught the movement and started to flag, blow and move off away from me to the east. His successive blows told me he was going East and then started coming south again so I prepared for a shot. Sure enough, he poked his head out on the line another 100 yds further east and gave me the time to line him up and take the shot. Once again he fled into the deep tangled bush with a leg dragging so I felt good about the outcome. Sure enough twenty five yards later he was down and out. Two bucks down in two days!!!! now if only my brother in law listened more...... there would have been three, but oh well, successful trip nonetheless.

Posed for a pic after a nice gentleman at lunch made our day with his 1927 Model T
IMG_0925.jpg

Awesome bucks! Congrats. One of these days I'd love to chase those big boys up there.

Love that picture with the Model T! It would be so cool if you cropped out the power pole and lines and then converted the pic into black-and-white.

Where in Alberta are you? I'm in Red Deer.

Bill

We were up in the NE part of the province, right where the agricultural land meets the northern boreal forest, I grew up in cochrane and now call Calgary home

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Iceman1992
Back