Alberta Moose hunt

wswat

Just got back from my Alberta moose hunt. Was tons of fun cannt wait to go back and bow hunt these beasts. I can not get most of my pictures to go on here.
Moose hunt 2010 067.jpg

Moose hunt 2010 064.jpg

Very Impressive. Can you do it on your own, or do you have to be with an outiftter/guide if you aren't a Canadian citizen?

Is that considered a Canadian or Shiras? Either way, it's an awesome bull.. congrats!

I'm pretty sure they go from Shiras to Canadians as soon as they cross the border, as far as B&C is concerned. Could be wrong though.

Really nice bull either way, congrats.

Well since I live in North Dakota I can never count on ever drawing a once in a lifetime tag so my dad and I decided to find a place in Canada to hunt. And since you can not hunt in Canada without a guide the search was on for a good one. Finally I was talking to a college friend of mine that works for Cabelas Adventures and he told me about Wayne Zaft outfitters in Alberta. This is the same guy that shot the new world record typical Archery Whitetail but after being officially scored dozens of times the final P&Y pannel said the g-2 and g-3 had a common base and threw it out.
Any way we went up to near Athabasca Alberta to hunt. We were the only 2 hunters in camp this week since the deer hunting frenzy hadn't taken off yet. By the way we saw 3 huge bucks while we were there also.
The hunt was tons of fun. The weather on the other hand was not good for 1400lb black haired animals as it was in the 50-60's every day. We saw a total of 32 moose 5 of them being bulls. We would get way back in the bush in the morning and glass swamps and cut lines and then in the afternoons and evenings sit in climbers and tower stands over looking swamps. Our guide said that they mostly do archery hunts in the last part of september first part of october since thats when they rut. He guided 13 bow hunters this year with 12 of them having shots and 9 of them filling. 3 of the moose were like mine or bigger.
Mine is 45" wide with 24 scorabable points and really heavy. My dad's was 35" wide and a very nice young bull. Was a great experiance and can't wait to go back and bow hunt!

very cool and congrats on a great bull.... i hunted with wayne's operation a couple years back, and he clearly must have turned things around. we had ideal weather for our archery hunt, and success rates were crazy crazy low. I will say his album of whitetail deer is something that could make any hunter drool... i would LOVE to get back up there for deer some time. congrats again on a beautiful looking animal! 45" from what i recall is a true toad for that area!

Very nice bull! Congrats. Sounds like it was a great experience.

Thank you.
The country that you hunt up there can be so thick that I can see why it would be tough with a bow but I think have got a good system now and they are starting to knock down lots of bulls and good size also. I would go back in a heartbeat and would tell anyone else to do the same. And yes HUGE HUGE DEER!!

Thank you.
The country that you hunt up there can be so thick that I can see why it would be tough with a bow but I think have got a good system now and they are starting to knock down lots of bulls and good size also. I would go back in a heartbeat and would tell anyone else to do the same. And yes HUGE HUGE DEER!!

Just curious, what does a hunt like that cost ?
Great bull

Kevin

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seabee Shooter
Back