Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Alaska moose - OYOA style

Day 1

After a long day of getting to camp, it was tough to roll out of the sleeping bag with the temps somewhere in the teens. Just felt better to tuck my head back into the bag and hope for more winks. But, given what kind of hunt awaited us, I decided to get up and watch the sun rise over the willows, still amazingly green for these temps and time of year.

My water bladder tube was froze hard. No water for brushing my teeth this morning. Time to grab some beaver water and fire up the Primus Eta Solo and boil the giardia germs out of it. And, I needed it for oatmeal.

I purposefully made a lot of noise, making sure the rest of the crew would get up and running. In short order, I realized that it was flat out cold, not just cool. I walked down to the boat, seeing a heavy crust of frost on everything. The dampness of the river made it feel even colder. My mind quickly thought about the teeth chattering drive of going up river in the boat with these temps. Not the end of the world, but definitely not something a guy wants to do with just a light layer of clothes.

As the sun came up, I found myself searching for the beaver that kept me up all night. They had started building a winter feed bed right at the mouth of the Pitka River, which happened to be our camp location. The beaver were up all night, making cannonball type sounds with their slapping tails whenever they smelled our boat. I was going to shoot everyone of those (&^$^@^ beaver. But, I figured I better find out if that was legal before seeking some level of vengeance that may not give me back the lost sleep, but would make for good fun and a plew to serve as a souvenir.

Good thing I looked at the regs. Beaver shooting was closed to non-residents, but open to residents. Like a beaver really cares who shoots him. Oh well, time for breakfast.

Jerry was up and stirring, chuckling about his grand fortune of being in the remotes of Alaska, fulfilling his lifelong dream. Shortly thereafter, Mason and Brad were up and stirring. Brad and Jerry being huge coffee junkies, nothing would happen until Starbucks was served in Brad's homemade coffee press.

Hot oatmeal felt good. We could hear for miles and listened intently for any boats that might be out at this early hour. Nothing. That was good. We had passed two boats between the Honhosa (the start of our unit) and our camp on the Pitka. Seemed coffee held equally priority at their camp.

I told the guys of the game plan - Spend the first four or five days scouring every slough, oxbow, and beaver pond we could walk into, so when things got going later in the hunt, we would know the lay of the ground very well. This morning, we would scale the ridges on the east edge of our unit and glass the river corridor, hoping to find some spots that could provide decent calling and glassing.

The biologist had told me that the pattern of this area went something like this, though the timing was hard to predict. The safest bet would be to plan for the last ten days, as that is usually when the best hunting started. Unfortunately, once I learned of that in late July, the production schedules had been set and there was no way to change from our middle of season dates.

The other patter was that bulls would come down to the river from the hills. They would be searching for cows, then using the river corridor to get over to the Koyukuk Controlled Use Area, which was the unit just east of our unit. He said in normal years, you wake up and it is almost like "it rained bulls overnight." You go from seeing almost nothing to seeing plenty of them when they arrive at the river. His experience said that date would be +/- 3 days from September 18th. I was hoping more for September 15th and not September 21st, given we would be pulling out on the 20th.

Once the frost melted off the metal boat seats, we decided it was warm enough to motor down to the east edge of our unit and scale the ridge on the north side of the river, giving us a commanding view of the east side of the unit. Sounded good in theory. Like most things in Alaska, easier said than done.

We beached the boat in the flooded shore willows. The river was way, way high. Charlie, our transporter, stated this was as high as he had ever seen the river. We tied off, then double tied, not being afforded a luxury of our boat floating off without us. As was established protocol, we had a dry bag of emergency gear, including the sat phone that would be hauled up the bank and stashed away from the boat, in case the worst happened.

Walking across a quarter mile of tussocks is not that easy, but was much easier than the steep slope of alder and aspen/birch regrowth that grew in from a decade-old fire. Not that bad for me and Jerry, given we had nothing but packs and rifles. For the camera guys, toting big cameras with multiple cables hanging from them, mounted on five foot tripods, I was worried they may use their bear repellents (a .44 Mag and a 10mm) on their host. It was bad going for them, but no complaints. Not a good start to a ten day hunt.

It took over an hour to gain the 200' of elevation and the half mile of horizontal distance. Hoped we would not see one of the grizz that had taken liberty to crap all over this nice hillside. If so, he would have me in a headlock before I even saw him.

We did find some openings in the canopy that allowed us to glass the oxbows that spread out below us. The spruce were more dense than it looked in the aerial photos. I wondered to myself how well sound would travel in that thick stuff.

An hour of glassing and comparing to aerial photos showed that Google Earth had again given me the feeling like I had been there before. I had printed Google Earth screen shots, then laminated them for waterproofing. Was useful to have them and know what it looked like on the other side of those high banks that often kept one from seeing much from the river.

It was decided to drop down the west side and call a few of these oxbows. It would give us some idea of any sign and let me practice my calling tactics. Always fun to get a few kinks worked out and these three calling set ups served just that. Lots of moose tracks, but no results from my calling.

We short-cutted across the swamp to the boat tie off. Was a fun first morning. Time to do more exploring and learning.

We buzzed past camp on our way up river, seeing meat bags hanging from one camp near us. A good sign that moose were being shot. Hopefully our camp would soon bear the same fruits of victory.

The day was spent walking int the many slough and oxbows on our maps, calling when we did so, then inspecting all the sandbars for tracks. Not sure how many calling set ups we did, but none resulted in a moose sighting. Oh well, a lot was learned.

While on our way back to camp, we came around a bend to see three guys with their boat up on a log and the lower unit disassembled on the gravel bar. We killed the motor and floated up to them. They asked if we had any wire. Nope. Seems the gravel and leaves had plugged the exit hole for the water that is used to water cool outboards. As some call it, the "piss hole."

These guys were seriously skilled mechanics. I have owned four Yamaha outboards and have never seen one taken down to basic pieces as these guys had, on an Alaska river sandbar, no less. I was impressed.

It became apparent that a tow would be in order. I took our three guys the half mile down to our camp, returning to find them reassembling everything. They thought they might have it fixed. They buttoned up the cowling, then pushed off. The motor started, but no water coming out. They thought it would get them to camp, another mile below us. I questioned that, given all my Yamahas have automatic shut offs if the water cooling system is not working.

I followed slowly behind, then turning into our camp. I killed the motor and wondered what happened to those guys. I looked down river and they were flagging me. The motor had shut down. I jumped in, drove down, grabbed their bowline and towed them to camp. They were good guys and offered me drinks, etc. They had two moose. One very nice 57" and one "meat bull." They had been driving way up river, then floating down, finding moose on the sandbars. Looked to be an effective tactic.

I returned to camp where the guys had already boiled water for the first of our ten Mountain House dinners. Beef stew tonight.

Jerry and the camera guys celebrated our first day of hunting with Jerry's ritual of toasting all with a shot of Crown Royal. Big stories were told, expectations expressed, and finally the sun dropped enough to allow a good nights sleep by ten O'clock.

DSCN0077.JPG

Charlie, our transporter, stopped by to check on us and our boat, then showed us the beaver they had shot that night. He would skin them, then freeze the carcasses for trapping bait come winter.
DSCN0079.JPG

I have skinned hundreds of beaver, but I have never seen one without a full tail, especially one of this size.
DSCN0080.JPG

Day 2

Jerry was first to rise this day and had coffee oatmeal water steaming from the Eta Solo by the time I pulled back the zipper on the tent. I heard some rumblings about frost and figured they were well founded, given how thick my breath frosted with each exhale.

Morning temps were even colder than yesterday. Heavy ice on all the little ponds and mud holes. Walking across the bog to tend to morning business was very crunchy as the frozen tussocks would support most my weight, crunching like pop cans as I hopped from one to another.

Plan was announced that upon finishing our oatmeal and coffee, we would head up river, much further than yesterday. Lots to investigate on the way up. Given the temps and the dampness of the river, no one was in too big of a hurry to finish their breakfast.

One thing about this hunt was a decision made in the mid-summer planning that was based on water levels. The decision had to be made at that time, as it determined what gear we would take with us and how far we could expect the transporter to get us.

The biologist told me that early hunting would be best if we went way upstream on the Kateel. Since I couldn't change our dates to the last days of season, I asked how far upstream he was referring. Answer - 70 to 100 miles.

Learning that in July, I called the the transporter to ask how far he could get us up the river, eliminating four to six hour boat rides from the lower river. He made it clear that even on the highest of water, he could not get us too much further than the Pitka (our current camp). On lower years, we would have to shuttle from the Koyukuk to our current location.

So, in mid-summer, the strategy was adopted to hunt the lower section, knowing we might be giving up some good hunting in the early days by doing so. It is just too complicated to try get four guys, all our camera gear, forty gallons of fuel, and spike camp gear that far up river. I wish it was different, but that is how it is when you decide to film and do so with two cameras. Rather than wish we could go way, way upriver, we focused on learning all we could about the lower and mid-section of the river.

The night before I had loaded a fresh 15 gallon fuel barrel and ran that for the last hour of the night. I spent a lot of time opening the overflow valve on the water/fuel separator. I was surprised by the amount of water in the bottom of that can. Whether condensation over time, or just watered down fuel in Galena, this was not a normal fuel/water issue. Before beaching the boat the night before, I opened the separator and drained all the water, even some fuel.

I walked down to the boat, grabbed the fuel line bulb and started to pump it. It wouldn't pump. It was so hard I could not get it to collapse. Finally I squeezed hard enough to crush some ice in there. Seems the fuel line laying on the bottom of the boat was the low spot of the line where water could settle and freeze.

I opened the tool kit and found a screwdriver that allowed me to take the fuel lines off both ends of the bulb. No fast launch this morning.

The bulb was a solid chunk of ice. I banged it on the gunnel until the bigger pieces cracked, allowing me to pry the pieces out with the screwdriver. While I did that, Jerry had worked his way up the fuel line and was squeezing the ice out of the fuel lines the way a kid eases the frozen ice pop out of its plastic wrapper. Once he completed the section from the fuel barrel to the bulb, he then repeated the process on the section from the bulb to the motor. Seeing all of this, I was very glad I had been draining the fuel/water separator as frequently as I had.

With that fixed, I gave a few colorful comments to the fuel jobber that will probably not make the episode, then Brad pushed us off shore into the current of the Kateel. We were off and running, with all of us bundled like Ralphie's little brother on the movie Christmas Story. We passed two more camps. One had a very nice bull in their camp. Looking even better.

We checked many more oxbows and sloughs on our way up. The guys who had repaired their Yamaha the night before had got things working again and buzzed past us as we were tying off for our next set up.

As we were trying to find a spot in the ten feet of sheer bank that would allow us to hike in to a good oxbow, I killed the motor to contemplate our options on this south bank. We were talking quietly when the woods on the north bank erupted. Something big was running through the willows, shaking the taller cottonwoods as he retreated from the river. Certainly not something small.

I quickly motored to the opposite shore and we pulled the boat up on a sandbar. This was exciting. Only the second day and we have moose in the area. We were as quiet as possible and the woods were equally silent.

We walked in, setting up under the cottonwoods, trying to find a spot with some visibility. Thirty yards in each direction was as good as we could get.

Once the woods settled, I let out some long whining cow calls. It was easy to hear anything, right down to small birds flying over. I know he could hear us. I continued with the cow calls, finally adding a subtle bull grunt. A reply came from 10 O'clock. A few twigs snapped. Good stuff. Just wish we could see/film better.

I waited a few minutes and things went silent. I started cow moaning again. The wind picked up slightly and shifted to our 3 O'clock position. I kept calling. Again, a grunt came from straight out at 12 O'clock, causing all of us to reposition ourselves. Seemed further out than the last reply.

Another fifteen minutes and nothing, except two or three short cow calls from me. I then made another soft bull grunt. The bull then grunted twice in quick order, this time at 3 O'clock. Damn it, he was now down wind of the breeze that seemed to be picking up. We all turned and readied from that direction.

Five minutes of silence and I decided to call a little more. Nothing. After about fifteen minutes, I started to call more often and louder, mixing in more bull grunts, thinking that is what had gotten his attention. Nothing. Forty-five more minutes and still nothing. I decided to quietly back out and see if we could intercept the bull by coming in from a river bend that wrapped over to the direction he was headed.

If you had told me that I could be within 100 yards of a bull moose and not see him, I would have argued with you. Not now. Some how, that bull had come in pretty close, yet not close enough to see him in this thick jungle.

As we motored up the river to try a different approach, we found another camp right near what seemed like the best approach. They had picked up their handguns and an AR, deciding it was a good time for some target practice. Not too conducive for calling moose.

We marked the spot, intending to come back the next morning and see what we could do to relocate this bull. He was on a big point of willows and cottonwoods. A great place for a bull to bed. Seemed like a better idea than trying to call a spooked bull among the noise.

The rest of the day was spent hiking to oxbows and trying to call in a bull feeling the early pains of love. Nothing heard; nothing spotted. Just lots of tracks, scat, and bear sign.

We spent the evening floating down the river, listening for moose calls, making a few calls myself, hoping to instigate a confrontation. Same result as the day before.

I remarked of this being the best weather I had ever encountered in Alaska in all my hunts. Two days of hunting and not even a cloud in the sky. And, cold enough at night to keep the bugs at bay. Only a 50"+ bull moose could make this any better.

My hunting buddy and I talked about doing this exact hunt in the next few years to come...cant wait to see how it goes and how all the logistics, cost, etc work out.

Last edited:
What was the outcome of this hunt? Why was it cut short?

The author had a heart attack that night and never finished typing his scribbled notes from this hunt. And since then, has not had time to do so.

The episode will end with "No animals were harmed in the filming of this episode.... except the grouse that served as our dinner."

The author had a heart attack that night and never finished typing his scribbled notes from this hunt. And since then, has not had time to do so.

The episode will end with "No animals were harmed in the filming of this episode.... except the grouse that served as our dinner."

LOL! Good one! My buddy had a great hunt up there with Charlie this past fall drew the late hunt. I am really hoping my number comes up this year to meet this guy Charlie he describes. Sounds like a great guy......:)

I think it could be a great show. I was up there10 years ago and did a float hunt. We paid an outfit to rent us a raft and drop us off to float the mulchatna river. If you got both moose and caribou tags it would be quite a trip. I think you could still do it for less than $5000 when splitting the cost with another hunter or 2.

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully the recovery is going well and you can plan another trip. Look forward to hearing more about the trip.

Any one who need a hunting partner for a DIY Alaska Moose? I would be able to go. I have done had a lot of experience in the self guiding backcountry wilderness hunts with my string of mules. Hunted Colorado, Wyoming, Montana,New Mexico, Arizona and Utah wilderness and in Idaho by myself for 21 days. Been very successful over the years and sometimes have to work at it very hard. I know what it takes to get a backcountry set up, running and maintaining.I have also hunted Moose twice in Vermont with success also DIY.

I've made several trips to AK and I have a couple more planned, God willing! I just can't pass up an Alaska hunting show, especially a moose hunt!

Like you, I have relatives up there and it does help shed some of the expense... It's about the only time where frequent flier miles are worth the hassle! I've learned more of "what not to do" than "what to do", but I have no regrets as it taught me a lot!

If I had a dollar for every guy who has stated that they know someone in AK who has invited them up North and didn't take them up on it, we'll I'd be booking my air taxi reservation for this season! It's a must, especially if your relatives are first degree of kindred and you can hunt the big stuff without a guide (as long as your relative hunts with you). Don't wait, do it while you can!!!

AK hunt

Hats off to you if you can keep the whole trip under 5k, with tags and travel. I've hunted AK for caribou, sheep, and brown bear and its getting very expensive anymore to do the AK hunts. Like others have said I would like to see the pre-planning and make sure everyone knows AK is so wild, no roads, no cell towers, if you get in trouble there is nobody around. Good luck on this! I hope you pull this together and make it work! A float trip might be the way to fill multiple tags!!

Any one who need a hunting partner for a DIY Alaska Moose? I would be able to go. I have done had a lot of experience in the self guiding backcountry wilderness hunts with my string of mules. Hunted Colorado, Wyoming, Montana,New Mexico, Arizona and Utah wilderness and in Idaho by myself for 21 days. Been very successful over the years and sometimes have to work at it very hard. I know what it takes to get a backcountry set up, running and maintaining.I have also hunted Moose twice in Vermont with success also DIY.

I might be looking for a moose hunting partner for AK some year. I'm already booked this year for a caribou hunt with an OYOA member from PA, and I'm taking my buddy up next year to try to get him a moose, but I try to go almost every year and am always looking for a partner. I've found partners from this site for 2 caribou hunts, one in 2010 that was awesome and this year's hunt in about a month.

Michael

Bitterroot Bulls over on Rokslide did a DIY AK moose hunt last year or the year before I think. It was $1800 each and he went with 2 other friends. He has a video up on it there somewhere, they went 3 for 3 but I think one was small(antlers) from what I remember. I do know they they drove from MT trailering 4 wheelers and didn't use bush planes or anything and splitting the gas which obviously will keep the total cost low. I'm not sure how long of a drive it was for him but it has to be in the 1.5-2 day range(one way), anyone in the midwest or southwest is going to be looking at a 3 or so days drive one way.

Alaska Moose

Good Morning: I would like to go to Alaska next month on short notice. I am a bow hunter from NJ, I drew a bull elk for missouri river breaks of Montana and will travel their for 7-10 days somewhere between 9-15 and 9-30 and I would like to fit Alaska in before Montana. I have heavily researched this for the past week, spoke to fish and game and I can get into Fairbanks and drive to Tok region which has road access and also river float opportunities. Two years ago I did a successful grizzly hunt on 30 days notice in Yakatuk Alaska, great experience, so I know it is possible to pull this off. I just don't want to do this one alone.I am 62 very active kill approx 10 deer each year in NJ. Would enjoy talking to you. Lonnie
908-347-3556 cell or email is [email protected]

I'm looking to do moose next year if possible to find a partner.Leave in under 3 weeks for caribou and can't wait!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back