Alaska moose - OYOA style

Randy,
You are spot on. This episode is too late for me but perhaps you can help others like us keep costs down.
By your definition I have gone on 4 'hunts of a lifetime' to Alaska.
The first to Alaska cost me nearly $3500. I was alone for caribou. The second cost about $2500 each for 2 men, again for caribou. The third was a 2 man 2 raft float for moose about $3500 each. The fourth was a 2 man trip for caribou, about $3000 each.
I did not harvest on the first 3 hunts so the prices do not include success. The last hunt does include getting the caribou home to Idaho. (the second hunt includes a small bull flown back to Illiamna and donated by another).
All 4 hunts were fly in hunts. The moose hunt we rented rafts at a great price.
Once in Alaska it IS enough to simply see the animals. Be picky and be prepared to come home empty-handed time after time if your goal is a book type animal.
I am taking a friend next fall on an Alaskan adventure and I am paying for everything. I have a budget of just $2500 total!!. Pm for details.

I would love to see a DIY Alaska hunt.... only if it doesn't take away from other hunts' budgets. Were you serious about that? I think the show is fantastic the way it is now.

Emrah

If it's unguided then it's fair game. Not everyone is on the same level financially or even with availability of time. This should never let us begrudge someone else an adventure. You've shown easy cheesy backdoor hunts and some that are more expensive and logistically tougher. The show is On Your Own not "well maybe billy bob can't afford gas to get to his tree stand" so we better not show it show.

IMO the expensive part of planning a hunt in Alaska is how much risk you're willing to take. You can drive up here and hunt off the road or ATV for the price of a tag and gas. Why does of have to be a fly or float? Really how many people charter a helo to go elk hunting? Not any different to me.

I'll put down the bow and carry a handy cam if it blows the budget. OYOA members get buying sweat shirts/ect to boost revenue!! Would that even help Randy?

I love to see some stuff from Alaska OYOA moose. The fact of the matter is most hunters will never be able to pay for a guided moose hunt in Alaska, the costs are simply to high. Self-Guided is an option and I think many people would like to see how it is done. To me, I think the key point would be to show that if one decides to go, they need to be physically and mentally prepared for the hunt and the end result if a moose goes down. It is alot more than floating in a raft or calling moose to the gun/bow. $4500.00 is also about spot on for the hunt, considering splitting the costs between two hunters. I have priced it out and been doing research on it for the last two years and came up with similar number, maybe even a few hundred lighter in the 4K range.

I would also like to see a how on Caribou and Sitka deer. Both, I personally intend to do in the near future unguided, and I think both can be done rather inexpensively, possibly even less than your $3500.00 mark for Caribou. Deer can also be combo'ed with black bear in the fall, although I am not sure how the new Alaska regulations for bear will affect the plausibility.

Easily, this hunt could cover two episodes, especially if you have two hunters and you cover the logistical planning and some of the pre-hunt. On a hunt like this, there are alot of logistics to cover that would be beneficial to the viewer and overall a good storyline. I believe there is also the chance to carry a bear tag, wolf tag, or caribou tag on a moose hunt in some areas, I guess it all depends on what unit and etc.

One thing as a bonus to anyone intending to go to Alaska, sign up for an Alaska Airlines CC. They give you 25,000 miles to start and a companion pass. Their mile system is FAR superior to anyone else. I booked a flight to Adak island this January for 15,000 miles roundtrip. The flight alone would have cost me $1800.00.

If you need someone, I am all in. I have a clean schedule so far for 2012 and 13 and can't seem to find a worthy partner to make the trip with me.... I think they are all scared of the dark.....

Last edited:
IMO the expensive part of planning a hunt in Alaska is how much risk you're willing to take.

For sure. That kind of gets to the point of why I would prefer to do it as a fly-in. It will cost about $1,500 more, but if it increases the likelihood of success many fold, it seems that most guys would prefer to do it that way. Or at least I would.

The "drive up and hunt from a base camp" option is still on the table. I just suspect that most people are going to want to increase their likelihood of success, if they are laying down $3,000.

Would they rather pay $3,000 and have a moderate chance of success and the crowds that can come with hunting near roads, or save a little longer and do the fly-in gig, knowing they will increase their odds of success and probably have very little competition? For me, I am saving a little more money and going with the fly-in option.

You can drive up here and hunt off the road or ATV for the price of a tag and gas. Why does of have to be a fly or float?.

See above. But, one thing you might be missing, and might be part of the reason you moved to Alaska is the "Alaska experience." To those of us down here, Alaska is this amazing place that we dream about. Where there is not a hunter on every knob, you don't hear the whine of ATVs, there are animals we can't hunt down here, and just the awe of the landscape. When I go to Alaska, that is as much of my experience as shooting something.

I think a hunt like this represents the Alaska wild country experience as much as it does the possibility of shooting a moose. Most guys who go to Alaska as a once-in-a-lifetime experience don't want to hunt the Haul Road or the Cantwell area with a ton of other hunters. They are looking for the experience of being way out in the middle of nowhere.

When I go there, I see as many residents chartering transporters as I see non-residents chartering such. That is due to the travle logistics Alaska presents. If I lived there, my hunting costs would be more than they are in the lower 48, as I would hire tranpsorters to take me to the best spots, even if I was a resident.

I see residents geared up with some major equipment to get away from the crowds. When I go with my Uncles, they have 16' and 17' jet boats for the smaller rivers and streams, a Scanoe for portages and floating out moose, and a 24' cargo boat to take moose camp four hours down river. That is to my benefit, but I want to show people how they can get away from the crowds and have increased likelihood of success, without having some sort of special connection.

To get the non-resident into similar country, he is best served to hire a transporter. Just the logistics of huge country that has little travel infrastructure, and has low game densities.

Or, call my Uncles and see if you can be the camp cook for a week or two. :D

Really how many people charter a helo to go elk hunting? Not any different to me.

Not many, as the need for it is low and the number of places you can do it is small. If elk country was as vast and unroaded as Alaska, and the animal densities were that low, I suspect there would be a very vibrant transporting business in elk country.

I agree, hiring a transporter in AK is not any different than hiring one in Montana, except it is a lot cheaper in Montana.

If we can pull this off for under $5,000, we will show all the logistics. And, we will let people know that you can do it for less, if you want to drive and hunt from roaded areas.

Personally, I would want the non-resident to know that they are going to have to work hard to get that "away from the world" experience if hunting near roads. I have done that, and as expected, found that a lot of Alaska people love to hunt. The few roads that exist get pretty crowded with hunters. And, Alaska hunters are well equipped to navigate the terrrain, with Argos, homemade Tundra Buggies, Super Cubs, canoes, jet boats, horses, ATVs, and other transport that the average non-resident will not haul all the way to Alaska. If you can't haul the same transportion gear to Alaska, then you are going to get passed up by a lot of well equipped residents.

I think stressing that this is a "Once in a Lifetime" hunt on the show is the way to sell it. Sure its going to cost $5,000 or $6,000. The cost is part of the experience. Not only in $ but in time away from work and family. That adds to the adventure.

Most anyone can save up for 5 or 10 years to go on one really great hunt. Thats what you base the 2 or 3 episode show on. Truly the hunt of your life. The research, planning, logistics, getting in shape and buying the right gear, or sacrificing to save the $. Thats what OYOA is all about.

When I worked for an outfitter for 10 years full time we commonly told guys to wait a year, save a little more money and do it right rather than nickel and dime. For example, buy a new rifle, dont come to the mountains for Elk with a pump .270 with tasco scope. Thats a great rig for tree stand whitetails in Pennsylvannia, but not for the middle fork of the salmon. Not everyone can afford or needs a $500 rain suit, but when you lay on the side of a mtn for 3 days soaking wet, most anyone would shell out $500 just to put some dry clothes on.

Maybe mix in the planning show several interviews or handy cam clips of sucessful DIY Alaska caribou and Moose hutners. Or interviews with Transporters, taxidermists and meat packers giving tips on how to make it all happen.

This could be your best hunt ever, its a great adventure and its going to take a couple shows to tell it.

As moose opportunities in the lower 48 continue to erode and moose on my bucket list I have started looking into Alaska, but cost and lack of any good info on going alone has been my biggest obstacle.

So, I would love to see this episode including an episode on a caribou hunt as well.

Man after spending most of my september helping a buddy chase moose in Montana, i'm going to start pushing for my Alaska moose hunt even harder. It has always been #1 on my list, just struggling with the $$$ part.

Fortunately, i sent Bambistew some rope so he can just hog tie one for me for next year.......

I think it would make a fantastic episode for sure...

I think you should do all three. Do one Alaska episode a year. It sounds like a resounding yes from everyone here and as fast as this thread has developed there is a lot of people interested. I would like to hunt everything i can in Alaska and it will be DIY. Go for it.

I would love to see it done! I don't think it would be any trouble find a friend or two to go with you. Vote yes.

I vote yes.

Been to Alaska twice. Once for moose/caribou, once for sheep. Both were sold to the finance comittee to be "once in a lifetime" hunts. Unfortuneately, I think that may be true.

Very cool place.

I think this would be a hit with most. The three part deal we talked about earlier seems the norm for everyone that's posted. Maybe you need a logistics company from all the responses.
I believe I would go with the moose and maybe mention the bou as a little cheaper hunt. By doing this it's going to show more viewers that it can be done with a little effort.

Three of the more infamous members of this forum have had preliminary discussions of putting together a moose hunt this fall.

Low-budget all the way, Keystone Light and PBR's only.

I would love to see you do moose in Alaska for 5 grand that include every last cost. Can't wait to see it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back