Caribou Gear Tarp

Alaska hunter killed by grizzly

Its going to be really interesting to hear all the details on this one. There is a whole lot of WTF...

Sad. Heart goes out to his family, friends and all involved. Prayers.

" The partner contacted their Tok-based air service using an InReach device, according to Maslen. The air service contacted authorities. By then, it was dark. The company picked up the partner the next morning. "

Man that must have been a rough night.

Poor guy. Easy to say it was avoidable, but Monday morning quarterbacking is always easy. I've been guilty of breaking down an animal like that before myself. And who hasn't done a solo hunt? Sad situation, but ya, that would have been one hell of an uneasy night. Return to camp and leave you buddy there? Stay with your buddy at a kill site? Tough choice either way, and I wouldn't have slept for one second.

Yeah, was thinking the young age combined with being a non-res probably helped lead to being less bear aware. Not sure of the age of the partner, but I also thought I would NOT be getting any sleep that night!

Very sad. He was just out there doing what he enjoyed doing. When I was 25 I shot a moose in that area on a solo hunt. I spent all night quartering and packing that bugger out. I would definitely do things differently now that I’m older and not as brave but there’s really only so much we can do if a bear decides to attack.

Good write up here.
Craig is a journo who got mauled by a griz so that gives him some perspective, he's also a longtime resident of AK and well worth a follow.

Park Service spokesman who is also a hunter said they did nothing "wrong". Bad luck.

Back