Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Alaska early years

Another photo of John. Shoots a 308, open sites

View attachment 94269

Friend Phil, was camping across a draw from my solo camp. I'm making lunch as he walks up and says "can I barrow your rifle". Takes aim with the 30-06 and drops this caribou about 120 yards from my camp. He tells me "keep an eye on the gut pile, I got a bear tag"

View attachment 94270

Another bou

View attachment 94271

meat hanging

View attachment 94272
Man with that red bandana and the hat I can’t help but wonder if Jim Shockey is just trying to be like you. Nice pics! Love the old ones before stuff got complicated.

I graduated from high school in 1977. During my senior year it was a "veterinarian or Alaska". I choose a DVM career. You see my cousin was on Prince of Wales during the logging boom. He was a cook at a camp in Coffman Cove and he would tell the greatest stories. I love my DVM career, however, I often ask my self "what if". I have had the chance to Visit Coffman Cove twice and it is absolutely beautiful.

good luck to all
the dog

Sometimes I ask myself "what if" too. I was sixteen in 1979 and I flew from CA to Anchorage looking for work and not finding any I hitch-hiked home. The following year I hitch-hiked up there in April and Canada got hit with a late winter that started as soon as I began traveling through, snowed the entire way. I found work with a taxidermist in Anchorage and wanted to live there. I was willing to start at the bottom but when I found out how much the other employees were making I realized I couldn't survive there on those wages so I went back to CA.
Wish I had pics of my early travels but I never carried a camera back then.

Man I thought those could be my pictures. I got here in 81. It was a different place. Any bull when I started. 200, 000 people.
You inspired me to grab some pics or at least a story.
Great memories, thanks again man

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back