Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Alaska Black Bear – Part III

Good luck Randy. Leaving Thursday as well to chase some bears up in Unit 6. Reports say the bears are really starting to move. Should be a great trip.

The Howa is ready, and so is the Federal ammo. Now, if only I can shoot this well while in the field. A .308 seems like a perfect black bear load.

IMG_0877.JPG

This is the last group of four. First group from a freshly cleaned barrel was not as precise.

100 or 200 yard zero?

I'm curious if you change based on the hunt, or if you keep it the same for everything.

100 yard zero for me, no matter the situation. Just easier to keep everything consistent and not tax my little pea-brain any harder than need be.

The Howa is ready, and so is the Federal ammo. Now, if only I can shoot this well while in the field. A .308 seems like a perfect black bear load.

I tend to lean towards the 30-30 for bears but looking at that group I would say the 308 should work too. ;)

Look forward to seeing this hunt!

View attachment 35806

This is the last group of four. First group from a freshly cleaned barrel was not as precise.

That's a good group, but a bear isn't as big as a buffalo so don't try and shoot too low. :)

Have fun! Those photos are excellent. Question about the Soar: are you the motor?

Have fun! Those photos are excellent. Question about the Soar: are you the motor?

Yup. Weight limits don't allow for an outboard, even though SOAR makes a bracket for outboards. Will rely on my Norse lineage and will work the oars as I look for bears.

We made it to Pburg, all my gear made it here from Bozeman, but no camera gear made it from the production company HQ in Missoula. Some of it is stuck in Anchorage and some is not in the system. Might have to film this episode with Droids and iPhones.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back