Caribou Gear Tarp

Alaska bighorn hunt

You had me sucking wind reading this until at the very last that you have good first-aid training. Bottom line is you just never know when you are back in that far when something is going to happen. Way, way impressed with your hunt and story. Thank you for taking me with you guys!!!! Oh, to be young again....

Just to human civilization and spent the better part of the last hour reading this. Not only is it an amazing hunt, but you told it with words and pics in equally amazing fashion.

Congrats to you and Tanya. Thanks for taking the time to share it here. I hope the shoulder heals for the rest of your hunts.

Great story picts and ram. Take care of that shoulder. Once you have injured it in the way described your shoulder will always be a bit weaker now. It mostly has to do with age (not that your real old). It sounds like a subluxation rather than a true dislocation. Both are nasty and horribly painful. I went years with mine popping out and being able to get it to roll back in. It progressively got worse and then I needed surgery to tighten it up. I ended up re injuring it 2 more times and finally had my 3rd surgery 2 years ago. You can do a lot of exercises to help strengthen it. Hopefully yours will heal fine on it's own. I was trying to be studly and play basketball again and ended up tearing everything up again.
Sorry for the lecture just wouldn't wish all the shoulder problems on my enemies. They hurt but can be prevented in the future. Good luck on your upcoming hunts. Knowing how physical these hunts are your wife should be congratulated! Great hunt and thanks for sharing.

Congrats to both of you on the excellent hunt. Great write up and pictures, thank you for putting the effort in to those.

Thanks for the great story,well worth the time it took to get all the pictures with a slow connection.

Great read Bambistew. That pretty neat getting to experience something like that with your wife. Congratulations to the both of you.

Helluva story Ivan!! Just awesome! Congrats to you both on some very fine rams. I just got back from my sheep hunt up there today and will try and get some pictures up soon...............however, no way I'll tell a story half as good as you did:)

Nice work on the hunt and the story, heal up that shoulder man, you got lots more packing coming up soon!

To finish this up... I didn't take any more pictures, from this point forward, mostly because it was all work from here on out. ;)

We took a quick nap, knowing that it was going to get hot that day. We figured we better get back up to those sheep ASAP to get the capes off the heads, and the rest of the meat boned and packed off the mountain. We started our journey back around 11 or so, knowing that the sun would hit the hill side the sheep were on around 2-3 that afternoon. The night before, we stashed the meat in a pile of boulders, and tucked the heads/capes under a rock in the shade. It was cold that night, around freezing, so I wasn't worried about the meat so much as I was about the flies on the capes during the heat of the day.

We opted to take the same route as the morning before, this time avoiding the lair of ankle bitters, but still needing to skirt the nasty slide where I fell. We made it back up and around with no incident, however still felt that we would take the moraine back to camp with the heavy load. Everything was in place when we returned to the kill site; we finished cutting and caping and made it back to camp late in the day. As we approached camp, I noticed that the first bag of meat I'd packed the night before was no longer hanging off the boulder how I'd left it, it was on the ground. I saw a small black blur galloping up a ridge just 30 yards from camp. I yelled, it stopped and looked at me. Dam wolverine had got into our meat stash! He dropped the chunk of meat he had in his mouth, ran about 10 yards and stopped to look back at me. Wolverines are funny to watch run, they kind of hop as they run, and when they stop, they’re bow legged, with their elbows pointing out rather than in. Their posture is like a line backer ready to blow you over.

Realizing that I was 200 yards away, he ran back, grabbed the meat and took off for the rockslide/boulder pile up over the next ridge.

That little devil... We must have caught him just as he started working on the meat. The only thing missing was a shot up front shoulder... if a back strap or hind was gone, I'd have gone on a wolverine hunt!!! The game bag had a hole chewed through it, and some of the other pieces of meat were on the ground. They were a bit dirty, but a little tundra spice doesn’t hurt anything. I was able to make a knot in the bag to seal it up. I thought to myself, "at least the pack will be a bit lighter." The meat off Tanya's ram weighed about 10lbs more than mine, now they were about equaled out at 60 lbs.

We didn't think the wolverine would be back, but to take a precaution, we rigged up a burglar alarm with some spare cordage, rocks, and metal pans. I also made a couple scare crows out of plastic bags. Hopefully the system would to scare one away if they were come back to rob us again.

We packed up camp the following morning, making the decision to try to get everything back to our main camp about 4 miles away, most of which would be on the glacier. We opted to “leap frog” gear, taking one load a ways, going back for the other, by passing the first load by twice as far, dropping that load and returning for the first. Doing so took a bit longer, but would allow us to recover a bit as we returned for the prior load. Everything was going swimmingly along, until about 2/3rds of the way across the glacier. We’d finally made it to the main ice, and had taken the first load across, and dropped it. As we were resting, I noticed a bear about a mile and a half away. It was a sow with 3 little cubs in tow, bounding and rolling along in the grass. They were directly in a cross wind of us, and paralleling the glacier. She had her head high in the air smelling, and seemed to be on a mission. Looking back I’m sure she could smell the sheep carcasses about 2-3 miles away, she would have been dead down wind at that point.

We watched her for about 5 minutes until she dropped out of site, at least a mile away. Thinking nothing more of her, we started for the last load of meat across the ice. The trip was maybe 500 yards and would take maybe 20 minutes to navigate the folds, and small streams running over the ice. Up to this point we hadn’t seen any bear sign, much less any animal sign on the glacier, it seemed like a barren wasteland, Tanya remarked that it was like Mars.

As we approached the edge of the ice, we dropped off the main body to a small shelf washed out by the water next to the rock piles. A small stream was running over the ice here. Just as I dropped into this small depression, I look to my left and there’s a BEAR! Holy shit! She only 15 yards away, maybe She stands up on her hind legs and looks right at me. I could see the white in her eyes she was that close. I could hear her popping her jaws, and growling. I start yelling, “get away, get away”, waving my hands. She dropped back on all for, and started circling down wind. This is not good, Tanya is down wind about 10 yards behind, all I have is an empty back pack and a couple trekking poles. This is one sword fight I don’t want to get in.

Tanya happened to be up a bit higher than me, away from the sound of the running water. She heard the bear scrapping her claws on the ice before I saw the beast. She knew what it was before we saw her.

As the bear circled, towards Tanya, I started yelling louder. The bear appeared agitated, and her posture was not of any bear that I’ve encountered at close range. This one was pissed! She galloped a few steps in Tanya’s direction. At this point I hear Tanya yell “GET THE GUN, GET THE GUN!” The rifle was sitting next to our last stash about 20 yards in front of me across the small stream on the rocks, and opposite the bear. All I could think, was this bear was going to attack Tanya, the only hope we have is for me to get to the rifle.

I made a mad sprint for the rifle, loosing my footing and scraping my knee and hand badly on the ice. Pretty sure I could have beat Carl Lewis in a 20 yard dash however… I snatched up the rifle, noting that the bolt was open, yet it was loaded. Quickly, I cycled a round and spun around to see the bear. She was right where I had been standing moments before, but had swapped ends and was high tailing it out of dodge. I’m sure she realized I had a rifle and didn’t want to get shot. ;) I fired a round over her head to speed up her departure.

I yelled for Tanya, she responded… “Are you alright?”. “I’m fine,” “are you ok?” I noted that she was up on the rocks about 20 yards to my left. Wondering how the hell she got there, she replied that her little legs levitated her body across the ice, not missing a step. She had to clear about a 6 foot crevice where the stream and rock met.

Realizing that we had just come very close to serious injury or possibly death, we were overcome with emotions from all the adrenalin in our system. We sat for about 30 minutes coming down off our high, and assessing the situation. I noted a couple large piles of green bear shit on the ice, assuming she’d smelled us and decided it wasn’t worth the fight.

Talk about excitement! This trip was packed with it, pretty sure we got the full “Alaska Experience” and definitely our moneys’ worth.

We finished packing the meat back to camp, and spent the rest of the next day getting further burnt by the sun as we trudged the last 5 miles back to the strip. We again leap frogged our way back, finally getting picked up around 4 that afternoon.

What a fantastic trip, and one I’ll never forget. As mentioned, killing the sheep was just a small part of the trip. I can’t wait for August 10th to get her again! You’ll find us back in the same area chasing sheep again, that is unless one of us gets eaten by a brown bear next month. Speaking of which I better head to the range and make sure the muzzle loader is dialed.

Thanks for following along, and well wishes. I love every moment of my life here in Alaska, and am thankful that my wife and I get to spend every second of it together. I couldn't ask for a more able hunting/fishing partner to spend time with.

Last edited:
As has been said before, thanks for taking the time to write up the account of your sheep hunt. Great story, great pics. Congratualtions on the adventure and on the relationship you share with your wife. In these times that is a very rare treasure.

Relating to the part about the meat robbing wolverine, on my last trip to AK hunting caribou, on the morning we left I found the game bags disturbed with slices of rib meat strewn around one open bag and the lower bones of the eye socket chewed off the caribou skull. It appeared that a fox had taken advantage of a free meal. I wasn't too concerned, but when I boned the meat back in Fairbanks I only dug 1 backstrap out of the bag. That little bugger dug through the rib meat and took off with a backstrap. That made the one remaining backstrap taste that much better.

Great hunt and great story, glad that all ended well. Some great rams too, well done.

Thanks to you Bambi-Paul Harvey-stew for the "rest of the wolverine/grizzley story". Does sound like a very full Alaska experiance.

Congrats on two beautiful rams! Thanks for sharing the story and pics! 2014 can't come soon enough!

What an incredible experience!!! I'm dazzled and impressed. Seeing the photos brings it all back to me. I really believe that glacier country backpack dall sheep hunting in Alaska is the pinnacle of big game hunting in North America. The scenery, the isolation, an element of danger, the physicality of it and the beauty of the animal itself. When you can do it on your own in such fashion and double up on two great old rams, you have really accomplished an impressive feat. Congratulations to both of you. I'm leaving tonight to Homer "just for the Halibut" and then on to Denali for a few days of photography and tundra trekking.

Back