Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Alaska Airlines Credit Card

119bowhunter

In the early stages of planning my first trip to Alaska with 3 of my closest friends, we are going in the fall of 2022 for a DIY, fly-in caribou hunt. Just starting the overwhelming process of nailing down logistics but I’ve read a lot of things about the Alaska Airlines credit card, currently I only have a low-interest local bank credit card with no rewards but was wondering if it would be worth the $75 annual fee to go ahead and get one of the AA cards and start using it now to build miles before our trip?

I did read through one of the threads on here about the card but ended up pretty confused between using miles for tickets vs the companion fares and when you can use each, etc. I also assume with 4 of us going that 2people would need to get a card so that everyone would benefit from the companion fare? I should add I don’t fly a whole lot so just trying to figure out if it’s worth it in the long run.

Thanks in advance for the help, also open to recommendations on transporters. We are looking at the brooks range or the 40 mile herd but sounds like finding a good transporter and getting on the list is one of the more difficult parts, really want to do this right!

Yes, two of you need to get the card. Make sure if the free companion fare is only good for the first year that you don’t get it too early. When you do get it, be sure to spend the minimum to get the introductory miles, even if it means just PayPaling your friends.

My dad and I flew round-trip to Kodiak last year for something like $120.00 each by using an AA credit card wisely.

The companion fare is good for one year. The next qualifying year you get another. And another... Every year. Free 1st checked bag for up to 6 people in your party. I assume YOU would have to book their tickets for that? Flying on miles is great. I go round trip non-stop from O'Hare to Anchorage for $11.20 using miles. Normally $500ish.

I should add that once you go to Alaska you WILL want to go back! ;)

Airline cards are worth the annual fee, particularly if you fly once or twice a year. Most of them will allow you to check the first bag and your companions bag for free. 2 bags checked twice (round trip) ends up being 4 checked bag fees @ $35/ea = $140. The saving end up paying for the annual fee. I have a Delta card and really like it. I save on baggage, build miles and also get access to the Sky Club for a cheaper price.

Another card to consider is the Capital One Venture. One can build miles to be redeemed on any airline or travel expense. You don't get the perks for a specific airline, but you do gain some flexibility and the overall reward value is higher. The Venture basically awards a 2% credit (miles) on all purchases when the credit is redeemed on travel expenses(airfare, hotels,rental cards, etc.). Many airline cards award 2% credit(miles) for airfare purchases only and 1% credit (miles) for all other purchases.

I have both. I fly just enough on Delta to cover the annual fee in baggage savings and I mainly use the Venture on all purchases for the better reward value.

When you sign up for AK CC you will receive sign up bonus miles enough for a RT trip to AK if you do it right. When I signed up years ago it was 25k miles, but I've seen them offer 32k.
Every year I fly to AK for free on 25k miles RT to destinations like Adak, Cold Bay, and St. Paul Island.
All 4 of you should get a card so that all 4 of you can fly for free. You will receive the sign up miles after your first purchase of $1,000 on the card.

I use the companion fare every year to fly to Hawaii with my wife. Buy a ticket ( not with miles) and she goes for $122 RT. You earn triple miles for purchases on AK flight with the card and also build miles for actual miles flown.
My wife doesn't have a card ( she hates all credit cards ) but even so she builds up over 5k miles every time we go to Hawaii because you don't have to have a card to earn miles, just sign up for free.

I live 120 miles from San Diego and it is a major hub for AK, this makes it easy to find flight deals.

The saved fees on baggage alone will pay for the card. You're probably not near an Alaska hub out there in NC but it's still a good card if you're going in 2022 you should have built up plenty of miles for a free flight, free bags, and a cheap companion.

Thanks for the replies, sounds like it’s definitely a good idea to pick up the card...I’m still a little confused though, currently when you sign up you get 40,000 miles after spending 2k within the first 90 days...how do miles convert to money? And sounds like you can’t use miles and the companion fare deal at the same time? If there are 4 of us going and we wanted to use the companion fare deal in groups of 2 would we have to do that on separate reservations?

Pardon my ignorance on the subject, I don’t fly a whole lot and have never had a rewards card

how do miles convert to money? They don't. Purchases convert to miles.
you can’t use miles and the companion fare deal at the same time? No.
would we have to do that on separate reservations? Yes. Only one companion fare per card per year.

I'll have to look, but I think they still have a bonus for new referrals. If they do, would you be interested in using me for a referral so I gain miles? Then once you have yours you can refer one of your buddies to get a bonus for yourself.

Sorry, I guess I phrased the first part wrong... I understand the purchases converting to miles, but once you have 40,000 miles what’s the exchange rate on a ticket? Is it actually equal to 40,000 miles worth of flying or is equal to a certain monetary value of a ticket?

And sure, be happy to use you as a referral if there’s a way to do that

Gotcha. The miles required for a flight vary depending on length of flight mostly. Myself, under normal circumstances I can fly from O'Hare to Anchorage round trip non-stop coach for 40,000 miles. Only costs me $11.20 for fees. Once you look at booking flights you can check a box for "use miles" and it will show what's needed.

I'm looking to see if the referral thing still exists.

Flights on miles vary depending on days of the week, time of year, etc. I'm flexible so I always get my RT flights to Alaska for 25k miles.

Again, best bet is that all 4 of you get your own card and that way you all can fly for free, forget the companion fare.

I build points using companion fare to Hawaii and cash them in going to Alaska.

@119bowhunter My similar thread may have been one you already read, but here it is ... https://www.hunttalk.com/threads/thoughts-on-the-alaska-airlines-credit-card.288084/

I signed up for the card. Mostly it has been good. We used ours on our Alaska trip last summer and got the advertised luggage fee discounts. We're hoping to go again next year and pay with the points (miles) we have earned from purchases. The main issue I have seen is the payment tools on Bank of America's website aren't as intuitive as the other banks I have used. If you choose to set up automatic payment, it won't immediately be active. It seems to take a full billing cycle. Read the fine print carefully.

There are also deals that come along with the Alaska card and partner airlines. Our family got double Alaska miles flying to Fiji on Fiji Airways.

how do miles convert to money? They don't. Purchases convert to miles.
you can’t use miles and the companion fare deal at the same time? No.
would we have to do that on separate reservations? Yes. Only one companion fare per card per year.

Maybe I am misreading the second part, but we used a companion fare, miles and a full price ticket for my family and I (3 of us) to fly to Mexico last year. We use that method on all trips, as long as the companion fare has obviously not been used yet in the calendar year we are travelling. They allow using miles, companion, etc. together.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back