Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

AK moose question

COEngineer

A buddy and I have everything but our locking tags (got our bull permits in the mail) for our first trip to AK. The thought occurred to us that shooting, field dressing, and packing 2 bulls might be biting off more than we want to chew, so the question arose, do we both need locking tags to be out in the woods with our bows? I can't find anything about party hunting in AK, so I'm assuming it is not allowed, but thought I would ask here.

Other than not wanting to handle 2 bulls, the price is pretty steep, so maybe one of us could just get a tag for something cheaper? Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance.

I'd suggest you contact a Wildlife Trooper in the area you'll be hunting. AK game laws are sometimes confusing and getting info from the guy (who may potentially be writing you a ticket) is the way to go. Be sure to get his name when you (finally) make contact. IMO - if there are 2 of you carrying bows, then there are 2 of you hunting and you both need the proper documentation. Is this a permit hunt? If so, I'm pretty sure you'll both need the tags to go into the field with you - but again the best to answer the question is TROOPER.

No party hunting allowed other than for bison, if I remember right.

Don't be afraid to shoot two. Done it a few times. Is it miserable? Yep, did I regret it? Nope. Will I do it again... yep. with 2 guys its 3 heavy trips each, plus the antlers/cape. A green cape is a ton... the head on a moose is really heavy too, pack a saw. A cape with the head in it will push 150lbs... I've packed out one cape, and will not pack another unless its close. ;)

Get the tag, a more expensive tag can be used on a lessor animal, although depending on where you are hunting, you may be limited on what animals are open. Not many OTC caribou areas.
The odds of two of you filling a tag using archery equipment on one hunt is pretty small, I would think. Depending on where you hunting (any bull, vs 50" or 4brows). If the later, each filling a tag with a rifle is not really a sure bet either. There are only so many big bulls to go around.

I wouldn't want to fly all the way up here and not have a tag in my pocket just to save a little cash... unless you plan to come back in the future or something.

If you have a hunting license you can pack your bow and no questions, and hunt small game.

Thanks Bambistew, yes, we do plan to come back to AK again, but I'm leaning towards your suggestion of just buying two tags anyway. If only one of us has a tag, the other guy will have a record bull standing broadside at ten paces...isn't that the way it always goes. Also, there are reportedly caribou in the area, so if we get one moose packed out and decide we never want to do that again, we can switch to chasing caribou.

Thanks Bambistew, yes, we do plan to come back to AK again, but I'm leaning towards your suggestion of just buying two tags anyway. If only one of us has a tag, the other guy will have a record bull standing broadside at ten paces...isn't that the way it always goes. Also, there are reportedly caribou in the area, so if we get one moose packed out and decide we never want to do that again, we can switch to chasing caribou.

Good thinking... Double check to make sure that you can have both a caribou and moose tag (i.e. 40 mile registration caribou, its one or the other). Not a lot of areas with good populations of both animals in areas that overlap much, but they are there.

Good luck on your hunt! Smelled like fall yesterday morning.

I double-checked and our unit has caribou listed as "HT" or harvest ticket, which means we would need to use our moose locking tag and fill out a harvest ticket for caribou?

Actually, it says "Two bulls" for caribou, but I am assuming we could only take one each with our moose locking tags, right?

One more question: Is it straight-forward to buy locking tags and pick up harvest tickets at Wal-mart or another license agent? We are flying into Fairbanks. Or should we order them ahead of time (we are 5 weeks out now). The only reason to wait is if something comes up last minute (death in the family or something) and then we would have to try to get a refund.

Last edited:
I double-checked and our unit has caribou listed as "HT" or harvest ticket, which means we would need to use our moose locking tag and fill out a harvest ticket for caribou?

Actually, it says "Two bulls" for caribou, but I am assuming we could only take one each with our moose locking tags, right?

One more question: Is it straight-forward to buy locking tags and pick up harvest tickets at Wal-mart or another license agent? We are flying into Fairbanks. Or should we order them ahead of time (we are 5 weeks out now). The only reason to wait is if something comes up last minute (death in the family or something) and then we would have to try to get a refund.

One locking tag = 1 animal either printed on the tag or of lesser value. Make sure to pick up a HT for animals you could potentially kill on the hunt. They are free for NR (double check me, I don't keep up on all the changes to NRs). You just have to pay for locking tags as a NR. As a resident all our tags are included with the hunting license, and we don't need a locking tag, so I'm not sure what locking tags a NR needs. I know some animals require NR to have a locking tag, but don't have HT, i.e. wolverine I think? We also do not need a HT for grizz (don't even have them), but need a locking tag in a few areas. Its really goofy.

You should be able to get a locking tag at anyplace that issues tags (Safeway, Fred Meyer, Sportsmans, sports shops, etc). Some places do run out, but there are lots of places that have them. They usually run out of the expansion locking tags for moose first. Fish and Game will have plenty, if they are open when you are in town. Unless your connection is really tight, I'm sure you could find one in town no problem. Depending on who is flying you in, they may possibly issue tags as well. I would ask. There is likely someone at the airstrip where all the bush planes are located that has them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back