Agricultural interests steer Colorado’s wildlife management

Read that a week or so ago.

"Indeed, agriculture and other business interests have direct influence on the agency, which is governed by the Colorado Parks and Wildlife Commission. Currently, there are more representatives on the commission with ties to agriculture, recreation and tourism than to conservation. Not a single wildlife biologist sits on it."

I don't understand how you say that this organization has any ties to wildlife if there are no biologists involved. Definitely opened my eyes.

"Take the time if you are inclined".

Inclinations lead more towards best vacuum packer brand, patio toys, and the pros/cons of bullet and round nose trailers -
Greenhorn's best beer for antelope hunt is the tongue (barely) in cheek winner.

Indicative......................................

Inclinations lead more towards best vacuum packer brand, patio toys, and the pros/cons of bullet and round nose trailers -

I know the score. The beer thread 86 replies, this one 3. It’s expected, as most sportsmen are intimidated by issues they think they cannot control.

I know the score. The beer thread 86 replies, this one 3. It’s expected, as most sportsmen are intimidated by issues they think they cannot control.

Guys who talk tough - about off road truck tires, guns, big bull elk, and beer - intimidated????

Hmmm........

Those darn "radical" BHA's!!! If it wasn't for them, ol' J. Paul would have range maggots on every acre in the mountains.

"Indeed, agriculture and other business interests have direct influence on the agency, which is governed by the Colorado Parks and Wildlife Commission. Currently, there are more representatives on the commission with ties to agriculture, recreation and tourism than to conservation. Not a single wildlife biologist sits on it."

I don't understand how you say that this organization has any ties to wildlife if there are no biologists involved. Definitely opened my eyes.

That was pretty striking to me as well. I have a hard time believing God intended for us to put domestic sheep in the mountains if it threatens the existence of the wild sheep native to said mountains.

Absent a gubernatorial change and different commissioners, what is the course of action for CO sportsmen?

Terribly sad article to read. A bunch of it comes down to people need to vote differently if they really care about wildlife. Around me many of the people running have a strong ag background or at least pander to ag and thats a big part of what gets them elected.

The area I'm currently elk hunting could support a ton more elk than it does but its unfortunately manged mostly for "social tolerance" and to minimize ag damage, never mind that those crops are largely subsidized at our expense and you have little chance to get onto private lands to hunt.

"A bunch of it comes down to people need to vote differently if they really care about wildlife".

Yup.

But that means an automatic vote for gun control, uncontrolled immigration, higher taxes, abortion, climate change claimers, etc...…………………..

The only thing good about domesticated sheep is watching lambs play in the spring.

I have done some research on the how and whys of domestic sheep/cattle on public land in Colorado, just for my own education in the past since I never understood. It is just sole crushing to me that domestic sheep are even allowed where big horns are in the area.

The governor appoints the members of the parks and wildlife commission. The composition of the commission is legislatively regulated/determined.

The reason there aren't any wildlife biologist or ecologists is:

"The 11 voting members of the commission include three members who are sportsmen or sportswomen, one of whom must be an outfitter; three agricultural producers; three recreationalists, including one from a non-profit, non-consumptive wildlife organization; two at-large members. Members are expected to re​present all parks and wildlife related issues, regardless of their affiliation. A minimum of four commissioners must be from west of the Continental Divide." (https://cpw.state.co.us/aboutus/pages/commission.aspx)

Yesterday: “Didn’t think much of it until I read [the] High Country News article...”

48AFDB54-31B7-48C4-89E2-28950990D3D5.jpeg

Interesting account of the encounter from the guy who took the photo above. It calls into question some practices used to reduce risk of contact between the two species, such as additional guard dogs and the use of satellite messengers to report contact.

Amongst the Herd

Are you saying that a Bio should sit on the commission, or that you don't think CPW has biologist?

Gotta link?:rolleyes:
Terribly sad article to read. A bunch of it comes down to people need to vote differently if they really care about wildlife. Around me many of the people running have a strong ag background or at least pander to ag and thats a big part of what gets them elected.

The area I'm currently elk hunting could support a ton more elk than it does but its unfortunately manged mostly for "social tolerance" and to minimize ag damage, never mind that those crops are largely subsidized at our expense and you have little chance to get onto private lands to hunt.

Well, Hickenlooper is termed out. Question is, which candidate will do what's best for the wildlife and our pockets, and which of those 2 do you put more dependency on.

Terry, are the recommendations to US Forest Service by the commission published in any fashion? and who at USFS do the letters go to for having these leases terminated?

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back