Africa PH sounds the alarm

I have always wanted to experience Africa, specifically hunting Cape buffalo. I read everything from Capstick when I was very young.

That being said, my view of hunting has changed a lot in the last ten years. The experience far outweighs any trophy; which has made me think a lot more about what I would want out of hunting Africa.

I can see exactly where he is coming from, it really isn't much different here.

I think he's right in some respects. Every time a hunter posts something like "smoke a pack a day" or "the only good coyote is a dead coyote," their hurting our image as hunters. The Antis twist and contort our words, they apply it to all animals and those on the fence may just be pushed to the opposite side.

We as hunters need to understand that we're part of an ecosystem. These ecosystems developed with man as the apex predator in the form of the Native Americans. We need to continue our role. Competition is natural among predators. It's why wolves kill coyotes. It makes sense that we'd be upset when coyotes pull down a trophy deer or wolves pull down a bull elk. However, we also need to understand that the wolves are just being wolves. They're a part of the ecosystem too, whether we like it or not. Management is needed. Wolf populations in areas obviously need to be reduced, but advocating their extinction whether in jest or not simply adds fuel to the Antis fire.

As my boss says, "We're giving them the bullets."

On the other hand, I think avoiding the fight is admitting defeat. I think it will hurt recruitment. I think by not showing ethical shots online you're letting the Antis win when they say most game animals are taken with 3 or more shots. Randy's youtube channel showing "1 shot hunts" helps show people what the goal is even if it's not always the case. I think as long as your animal was harvested legally and ethically (i.e. not full of bullet holes), post it. Be proud. By not being/showing that you're proud of your accomplishment you're letting people think that it's something to be ashamed of.

I'm a realist, with my funds, wants and needs I'll be hunting the midwest and western states for the remainder of my hunting life. I wouldn't venture to Africa if you paid me, way too unstable and unpredictable.

I believe Randy referred to this idea in the podcast with the fellas from B&C. I've always said shows like the Pigman are terrible for hunting. I never really thought about the social media aspect of things. I guess I instinctively refrain from dead animal pics so as not to offend or pick a fight that doesn't need to be picked. However, I would be surprised to see an outfitter brochure or website WITHOUT dead animal picks. I guess I should rethink that. I am proud of what I'm doing and I don't feel ashamed. I guess the take away for me is that there is more intelligent and creative way to share my passion.......and possibly convert a non-believer in the process.

In light of my previous post, should I be changing my profile pic? My initial thought is no given the obvious nature of this site. However, I'm open to feedback.

Hunting in Africa has extreme variance, but i do agree with some of his comments. Good read to get guys thinking about the future and it doesn't just concern Africa really.

In light of my previous post, should I be changing my profile pic? My initial thought is no given the obvious nature of this site. However, I'm open to feedback.

Hey, I took that pic, you saying it wasn't tastefully taken;)

I think it is all about understanding your audience, and a lot of time I don't think people realize they are putting their message out for all the world to hear. I don't feel like there is a problem with taking photos with your quarry, but what you do with them can be the problem. If you keep them to enjoy and share with family and friends, they are great ways to remember the experience and pay tribute to the animal. However when the are posted on a social media page that's sole focus is to build your Instagram celebrity status, like the hunting worlds version of the Kardashians, you have to think hard about what you are doing.

That being said, I have posted some of the animals I have killed on FB, and in hindsight maybe that is a bad idea.

The day I worry about what anti's think or say will be the day I give up hunting. I am proud of my heritage, the harvests, and the adventures I have taken. Don't like what I post on social media then block me. This world is being over run by sissies. You go to your safe place and I'll go to mine. Good huntin'

Last edited:
The day I worry about what anti's think or say will be the day I give up hunting. I am proud of my heritage, the harvests, and the adventures I have taken. Don't like what I post on social media then block me. This world is being over run by sissies. You go to your safe place and I'll go to mine. Good huntin'

While I personally agree with this sentiment, I believe this is exactly what the PH was talking about. If we want to preserve our heritage, we need to consider alternate approaches to sharing our way of life. An example would be how hunters go out of their way to share their harvest with others. No other group spends so much time, effort and money to procure meat and then simply gives it away.

Good point noharleyyet and Gellar. Our world is changing at an unprecedented rate. Not only is hunting changing (as the article posted by Randy indicated), but our very lifestyles are changing. I think every hunter needs to be responsible and ethical so as not to jeopardize the great hunting heritage that was passed onto us from our forefathers.

Interesting article...

I have hunted South Africa three different years with the same PH/outfitter Nihan Engelbrecht whose company is Huntersgame safaris. Nihan is a gem in a field of rough when it comes to PH ethics. He is one of the best.
Now, I do understand that the current postings of trophy animals that have been taken can be difficult for some to view. But, as a hunter, fisherman and conservationist this is my passion and I am proud of my accomplishments. There are those that would deny my 1st amendment rights by blockage of these accomplishments via censorship of my writings and pictures. Not going to be a battle easily attained. We live in an age of most everyone having a cell phone, computer and hand held devices that allow instant communication along with immediate gratification to be in touch with the media and all. This in itself can be part of the problem. A person is proud of his , hunting trophies or otherwise, but there are so many varied opinions on social media to be offered. The anti hunting sentiment is growing in leaps and bounds with little or no opposing views. We, as hunters, know where the money comes from to pay for conservation. The social media speaks little or nothing of this. WHY you ask? The anti hunting establishment does not want the masses to actually know the facts. There is an old saying, "don't muddy the issue with the facts".
Now, again, there needs to be more actual information available to the non hunting public. Where should this come from...we the ethical and conservationists. Post your pictures and explain the details as to where the meat went and how it has been consumed. Explain that untold billions have been spent purchasing licenses, tags and money spent on local services that indeed enjoy the sports.
I have been a hunter for more than 60 yrs. now. I have spent untold amounts of $$$$$$ in the pursuit of my sport. I taught Basic Hunter Ed for 17 yrs. and Waterfowl ID 10 yrs. I have given to the industry and have recv'd. much enjoyment from my sport. I speak to people and explain what I have gleaned from 60 plus yrs. of hunting. I am proud to be a hunter and will defend my rights to the bitter end.
We, as hunters, fishermen, conservationist can utilize the social media as a tool as the anti hunter establishment has undertaken. Be reasonable, definitive, factual and blunt. Thank you all for your attention to my .02 cents.. MTG

Last edited:
While free speech is a right i will always defend, some of the hunting posts/pics out there are tasteless and harmful to the hunting legacy. Just because I believe they should be allowed to exist, doesn't mean I think they should exist.

Another example is 2nd amendment open carry rallies with ARs. Do you think people in that restaurant are thinking "Hmm maybe gun ownership IS an important right."? No!! They are thinking " OMG, WE NEED TO CONTROL THOSE AUTOMATIC WEAPONS IF MASS KILLING!". Ok, maybe I exaggerate, maybe not.

As far as conservation money goes, hunters absolutely need to remind the public that, like it or not, hunting is the best conservation tool there is. Do my non-hunting, animal loving friends lament the loss of Eastern elk? No! Do they care about quail numbers? Not at all. Hunters care deeply about game and non-game species survival. We have a vested interest. Non-hunters may have a sad for a second, but it doesn't impact their lives and they quickly move on.

So maybe instead of a Facebook pic of that bloody elk post a link to the RMEF. Remove the "if it flies, it dies" sticker, and put on a DU badge. Idk

I really have zero desire to hunt Africa, but I understand their situation is pretty different than what we have here and they have to an even higher bar to uphold. I think a few important distinctions for African PH's is that they are viewed much more globally than a guide in Colorado and largely by people who have much restricted access to firearms and likely much less interaction with hunting. For better or worse they hunt a lot more Disney characters than a guide in Montana does and there isn't an entire huge parallel industry for viewing North American wildlife based around taking pictures and gawking at animals you only see in a zoo they way an African PH does.

I think African hunting brings up a lot of ugly history of Colonialism and the exploits of the extremely wealthy where as a lot of of the traditional North American model centers around pretty common people being able to access a resource. People got a lot madder about an attractive rich girl shooting a lion than they did about all but one of the 10,000 middle aged white guys who did it before her and posted a picture on social media.

I really think the concept of "Do not apologize for being a hunter" is really short sighted and it should really turn into "I'm a hunter and look at all the good things we have done. Look at the land we conserved, the beautiful places we go, the work that goes into our endeavor and the meat it puts on the table." I think most people with the knee jerk reaction that hunters are always under attack generally have lived in one or very few places and are fighting a perceived enemy they have never met while overlooking more pressing issues like public land sales or any issue that doesn't directly effect where and how they hunt. I don't think anyone is going to convert most hardcore animal rights, but there are a 100 under informed centrists that can become allies or at least not enemies with positive social media posts.

I do agree with what the author is saying about how some of the things hunters post online can be distasteful, but at the same time I do not feel that we, as hunters, need to sugar coat or apologize for what it is we do. When I go on a hunting trip I am out there with the intention to kill. People will hate us for that and there is nothing you can do about it. I have read some arrogant and painful posts from hunters that where clearly out of line (I am not innocent either), and I agree that that needs to stop. I guess from my point of view, we, as hunters need to be polite, respectful, and unapologetic for being who we are.

To the non-hunter, the hunt spans only the moment the animal is shot. All that is before or after is not "the hunt" since they equate hunting with killing. In America, many non-hunters "know" wildlife through Disney movies where animals are humanized into family units. Few of us grew up on farms caring for animals destined for the slaughter house.

When I speak with non-hunters and they express some curiosity then one of my first comments is I grew up hunting and to me hunting a turkey is as natural as going out to my garden and collecting some carrots. I mention I eat what I shoot and it is 100% organic, free-range and gluten-free natural meat.

They often have no issue that I shoot turkeys or doves or quails or ducks or geese. So, hunting is generally okay if that is the critter being shot.

I speak of hunts where never pulled the trigger. Of contributions directly to conservation groups and made by specific, dedicated taxes. Of hunter's safety classes taken. Of my dedication to making sure I use a weapon that is very accurate and I can confidently shoot.

Is not unusual for a non-hunter to have strong feeling about big game being hunted. Cecil the lion. Bullwinkles the moose. Bambi's father the deer. Enter the stereotype of the trophy hunter. Not good to have that image in their minds. Trophy hunters are stereotyped as under-endowed men struggling with sexuality trying to compensate for something a psychologist should address. The trophy hunter is seen as out-of-shape types that step out of a truck to blow a big hole through some scared, almost tame animal leaving orphans and the mother to struggle to survive. The trophy hunter then chainsaws off the head with the antlers to leave the rest of the animal to rot. Skill needed is minimal. Effort is minimal. Blood lust is the motivation. Carcasses lay rotting in the sun with the hunter passionately rubs the warm rifle.

I have animal mounts in my home. Shoulder mounts and euros. Not everyone's cup of tea but when asked I talk about the adventure of a particular hunt. The challenges related to weather or locale, of the meals provided, days without showering, etc.

I am not the greatest ambassador for hunting. I am well-liked and do my part to give a real face to hunting for those I interact with that otherwise would think only of Cecil's killer the dentist.

Is it fair someone is not offended by the picture of a walleye being held but is offended if are holding a rabbit? Fair is where you take your pig to win a ribbon.

Do 1000 yard shots harm us? Not as much as the bloody pictures of animals with tongues drooped. I am bothered by 1000 yard shots since I understand the issues of wind and animals jerking while the bullet in en route. I am bothered by high-fiving and sitting on the animal. The bloody pictures are the cannon fodder. Is not a matter of fair. Is reality.

Clean up the animal with water or photoshop. Don't have the tongue hanging out. No need for the weapon to be in the picture. No reason to sit on the animal.

My 2 cents.

Last edited:
I think that the author is making some great points from his industries point of view. There needs to be a shift in marketing and perception if African outfits want to stay in business long term. A business can't rely on a client base (especially in the US) that is being attacked from multiple angles - just look at the hit Zimbabwe has taken over the Cecil stuff.

Bring all of the positive features of the industry to the forefront. Conservation, providing meat to locals, adventurous experiences that will change your life, etc. Yes, animals are killed and perspective hunters could review pictures for trophy quality, etc. But don't make the first line of marketing just kill shots.

I really don't have a dog in the African fight - it's not something I see myself doing. But I do see all of the good that comes from their work - and it needs to be done.

On the social media front - I won't go into too much detail but I do want to point out that Facebook's Terms and Conditions are pretty onerous. If you sign up with FB - the content you are supplying them with is subject to the phrase: "you grant us a non-exclusive, transferable, sub-licensable, royalty-free, worldwide license to use any IP content that you post on or in connection with Facebook (IP License)" If you upload a picture, you are giving consent for FB to use that photo how they see fit. It's in FB's interest to give you the power to manage your account, see/share your photos, etc. But this is a big reason why FB is worth so much money.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lincoln's Poppi
Back